Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new budgie Cosmo, who I got two weeks ago, is tame and rides around on my shoulder sometimes. Earlier when I went to the kitchen to make some lunch he started squawking and chirping. He was in his cage and he's done this once before. He doesn't ever do this when I'm in the room, and the first time I thought he was just talking to his mirror.

Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
It's rather normal for budgies to become vocal when they're comfortable in their surroundings :). He can also be calling for you, since he is tame. It may be that he is becoming bonded to you. They also make their various noises when they feel good, as an alarm to alert 'the flock' of potential danger, playing, etc. You'll find that he will start doing it also regardless if you're in the room. Some budgies are more vocal than others, but overall I find that budgies are a very vocal species of bird.

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
I agree with Julie :)

The chirps and squawks in this case, since you were leaving the room, were indicative that he missed you, as his "flock" and wanted to make sure you were still around. When my girl "flock calls" for me, I give her a whistle to let her know where I am and she usually quiets down :D

How cute that you and Cosmo have such a special bond already! :love:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stretching wings when I walk in?

Hi! Me again lol.

Cosmo stretches his wings and lifts a foot when I walk in the room. Is he scared of me or what? He seems fine other times when I'm in the room and he doesnt seem scared at any other times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Totally normal behavior. Think of it as stretching when you get out of bed. They're just getting ready to do something. Whether or not it means anything has to be taken in context with the bird's behavior. When they are scared, they puff up a bit and are quick to run away from you. Some birds have more of a fight response to fear and will shake their tail, pin their eyes, and open and shut their beak as a clear warning (usually a hen).
Once they are well tamed, they still stretch when they see me, but will do my favorite speedy side step to the side of the cage to beg for millet. They're not stupid, they know who has the good stuff. They all run from my 4 yr old though...lol. Have fun taming that bird!

Budgies are also more vocal around noon by nature. Mine like to sit and sing, sometimes squawking. They have a few peak times in addition to noon, including late morning and dusk. I love the soft songs the males come up with. If your bird is solo, he will call all the time whenever you leave because they are social animals that live in enormous flocks in the wild. Being alone isn't a good thing to them. I would whistle back as others have suggested and leave a soft radio channel going if you are leaving the house for a bit. Have fun!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Stretching wings when I walk in?

My Reggie does the same thing when I wake up in the morning he'll lift his little foot as if he's waving good morning. Sometimes I like to see it as him saying good morning mama! :giggle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
This is normal budgie behavior.

Please take the time to read through the stickies and the threads in the Budgie Behavior section of the forum.
Many of your questions have already be asked and answered multiple times. :D

You can learn a lot about budgies by reviewing the information in the Stickies and Budgie Articles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mirror trouble...

So I've noticed Cosmo sitting by the mirror almost all day. The mirror is quite large and its attatched to desk, and his cage is on my desk. The mirror reflects his enitre cage. He sometimes tries to climb the bars of the cage seemingly to try and get to his reflection.

I've taken him out of the cage and noticed he tries to peck and stare at it.

Should I cover the mirror?

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Yes, if you can't remove the mirror altogether, then you should definitely have the mirror covered at all times if you plan on having Cosmo's cage on the desk.

Mirrors in general and mirrored toys can have quite the adverse effect on pet birds, and in this specific case, budgies.
This is especially so for solo budgies, they can more easily develop an unhealthy attachment to the "other bird" in the mirror and this will have direct consequences on the budgie's general behaviour and on their overall health (mental as well as physical).
In more severe cases, budgies can obsessively regurgitate onto the mirror (leading to steep weight loss over time), mate with it and become quite territorial and protective over the mirror.
This would of course negatively impact the bond shared between owner and pet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it only an issue for solo budgies? Because I have mirrors in my cage and budgies sometimes sing to them but that's about it. Most of the time they don't even look at them.

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Is it only an issue for solo budgies? Because I have mirrors in my cage and budgies sometimes sing to them but that's about it. Most of the time they don't even look at them.
Therm is correct.
Even with multiple birds sometimes one will become obsessed with the mirror while the others ignore it.
I have seven budgies in one cage and only one of the seven became "mirror" obsessed.
There are now no mirrored tows of any sort in that cage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What does this sound mean?

So earlier I was playing some music and I noticed Cosmo started maiking these sounds. Do they mean he doesn't like the music or does he like it?

Heres the sound:
[nomedia="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teV3PKZwIs8"]squaking budgie to music - YouTube[/nomedia]

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
The first chirp your Cosmo makes is the one they use for flock calling and in this specific context, it was a "hello" chirp. The longer sound Cosmo made was a screech and it was done out of excitement, he also quickly flapped the wings.
The little chirps in the end are baby chirps, it's really cute that Cosmo still makes these.
All in all, the singing done by Cosmo was happy and positive. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just love how all different Budgies have different voices! I love hearing other people's budgies and listening to their different tones. Cosmo is super cute! :)

Reactions: StarlingWings
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.