Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total newbie with no knowledge of genetics beyond what I've read on some of the budgie websites. My pair is raising their first clutch. The first one is 10 days old. 3 of the 4 chicks have red eyes. (while only the first 2 have their eyes open, the youngest 2 clearly do not have the obvious dark eyes showing through the skin.)

Here are the parents.

Since I know that 3 of the chicks have red eyes, and I know that the hen doesn't have the ino gene based on her appearance, I can conclude that the father is XiX, correct?

So, my question is, will the red-eyed chicks definitely be lutino, since the father's yellow base is dominant? Or is there a chance that they could be albino if the **** is split for white base?

Also, I've read that some of the inos can have cinnamon wing markings? Can that only happen if the parents exhibit the cinnamon trait or can that be carried recessively by the parents and passed on?

And finally, can I conclude that my 3 inos are definitely female?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
You are pretty much on the ball. The father could be split for ino, in which case any ino chicks can only be female. The chance of getting 3/4 chicks being ino is way out there because you would only 'expect' 1/4 babies to be an ino hen. The other possibility is that the **** is split for cinnamon these chicks are cinnamon hens with PLUM not RED eyes. Im pretty sure cinnamon chicks start with plum eyes that darken a bit by about 9 days old. If the eyes stay red you have ino's.

And lastly all chicks will be yellow base split for white, unless the father is already split for white in which case 50% chicks will be white based, and the other 50% will be yellow base split for white.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
You're right the **** bird must be split for ino

If the father is not split for blue the red eyed chicks will be lutino. If he is split for blue the red eyed chicks have a 50% chance of being albino

The inos with cinnamon wings are lacewings. This is a combination of the cinnamon and ino genes. Lacewing is sex linked so the father would have to carry the genes. It's more likely that your chicks are inos.

The chicks will definately be female. To get a male ino the mother must be an ino

When the chicks reach breeding age you will probably find that some of them will be masking dominant pied (the mother's mutation)

Cinnamons also have red eyes at birth but it is a very dark red and it darkens more as the chicks grow so the red that you're seeing is probably ino. Fallows are another red eyed mutation but they are quite rare

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. This is very helpful. The oldest chick's eyes are open and they are definitely the bright red like an ino. The pin feathers are just starting to come in and look like they have a yellow tint to them. Chick #2 has dark eyes, the pin feathers are just barely visible but look like they are light. With my limited knowledge, I'm guessing the highest probability is that it's a yellow base dominant pied?

I'll let you know what they turn out to be!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first chick (ino) is now 14 days old and she is lutino. #2 (non ino) is getting a lot of yellow pin feathers and some darker feathers so I think it will be yellow-based pied. The last 2 are inos, but too young to see feather color yet. I'll post some photos soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's a great surprise. I never expected lutinos and I'm especially pleased because a I had a lutino when I was a kid who was so sweet and affectionate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the oldest 2 (one ino, one non-ino) in the clutch. The other in the clutch are inos, but they do not have feathers yet.

First Chick at 14 days old

Second chick at 12 days old

·
Registered
591 Posts
they are beauts

please post pics of the others if its not too much trouple for you or the birds

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update... it looks like 3 are definitely lutino.

From L to R: 11 days, 13 days, 18 days, 20 days

I posted more pictures in the photos section of the forums.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.