Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
You need to separate the two immediately. Put one of them in a different cage.

There is no way to know what caused it - you are asking for speculation which isn't going to solve the problem.

How large is the cage the birds are in now?

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
We need to see a picture of the cage and also to know the measurements of it. Length, Width and Height.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
The cage is too small for your budgies.
You need a cage that is longer than it is wide. 30" Long x 18' Wide by 18" High The measurements convert to: 76 cm Long by 46 cm WIde x 46 cm High is the very minimum size recommended for two budgies.
Cages that are wider are better for your birds because budgies fly horizontally/laterally rather than vertically.
The bigger the cage you provide for the budgies, the better. Ensure the spacing between the bars is no more than 1.27 cm.

You need to have a spare cage anyway and the one you are using now can serve as the spare. This will be used if you have to quarantine one of the budgies due to injure or illness, if the budgies end up needing to be separated on a permanent basis and/or as a transport cage if/when Avian Veterinarian visits are required.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

You also need to change the paper at the bottom of the cage at least daily. Hygiene and a Healthy Diet are critical to keeping your budgies healthy.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Provide shredding toys for your budgies, make sure you have a second swing in the cage and have 2 food dishes and 1 water dish in the cage.

Pin feathers are normal on an adult bird. Please read the two articles below.

Molting
Miserable Molting

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

MOST BASIC QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED IN THE STICKIES AND BUDGIE ARTICLES.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
How soon can you get the new cage?
Are you buying the minimum sized one that is 76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm HIgh?
If you have room and can afford it, it would be better to get a cage that is larger than that.

Get new perches now to replace the dowels. Add another swing and a shredding toy.
How much out of cage time are KiwiBerry and Mango getting each day?

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
The key to a healthy diet for budgies is much the same as it is for humans and other animals. You are best to serve foods in moderation.
Your can give your budgies carrots two or three times a week. Offer other vegetables at other times.

I would recommend you look at on-line pet suppliers that ship to India for a cage of the appropriate size for your budgies. I'm sure there must be suppliers that ship to that country.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
Please be careful about taking advice from members other than staff. The information offered may not be accurate.

The seed mix you showed in the picture looks to be OK. Budgies should receive 1 1/2 teaspoons of seed per budgie per day.
From where did you order this seed mix?

Try sprouting some of the seed to see if it is fresh.
Sprouting Everything
Growing Seed Sprouts at Home

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
Your budgie is older than 6 months as he has been through at least his first molt (after his baby molt).
As Starling Wings indicated, he is probably between 6 and 9 months old.

Have you ordered new perches for your budgies yet?
I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
How are the budgies doing today?
Did they have any vegetables before developing loose droppings?
Do you add a good quality pro-biotic to their food?

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
Please send me your location in a Private Conversation and let me know if you are able to order on-line through Amazon UK or what suppliers you are able to utilize in your area.
I will then be able to do some research and help you find an appropriate cage for your birds.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
You are better off giving vegetables rather than fruits. Fruits should only be given sparingly and perhaps once a week as they are high in sugar content.

The key to a healthy diet for budgies is much the same as it is for humans and other animals. You are best to serve foods in moderation.
Vegetables can be fed daily.
You can make a "chop" every other day if that works for you.
You can give your budgies half one day and refrigerate the second half for the next day.
What you want to do is chop a variety of things, kale, romaine lettuce, and shred carrots to add that to the mix,
Sometimes you may want to add peas and corn and sometimes mix in some cooked quinoa.
Whatever your budgies do not eat after a few hours should be thrown out.
Remember -- Too much fruit is not good anyway because of the high sugar content.

I would recommend you only feed spinach once or twice a week.

Spinach and Parsley contain oxalic acid which binds to calcium, blocks the absorption of calcium and puts stress on the kidneys.
Too much oxalic acid can also cause poor blood clotting and convulsions in birds.
Cucumbers are mostly water and may result in loose droppings if you give them too much.

Other green leafy vegetables you can offer include:

Kale
chard
collard greens
fresh beet greens
fresh mustard greens
fresh turnip greens
endive

Romaine
watercress
fresh sprouts
chickweed and dandelion leaves (ensure they have not been chemically treated)

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
Just keep an eye on his droppings for a few days.
If they don't change back to normal let us know.

Yes, you can give carrot every day
Yes you can give the vegetables separately.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
You must check to ensure that any sticks you use for perches are on the list of SAFE woods for budgies and they have NOT been treated with any chemicals or pesticides or gathered near busy roadways which are subject to car exhaust and pollution.

Safe Natural Wood for Budgies

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
Your budgies are called "American/Pet" type budgies.
English budgies were first bred from Australian budgies in England which is why they are called "English" budgies.
English budgies were bred as show birds and larger birds with bigger heads were chosen when people started "creating" this mutation.
Many English budgies do not live as long as American/Pet type budgies.
If the breeders of English budgies are too vigorous in their breeding practices, always striving for bigger and "fluffier" heads on their birds, they sometime end up with budgies whose heads are too big to be adequately supported by their bodies. This is VERY sad.
An ethical and responsible breeder breeds their budgies (whether American/Pet OR English based on temperament and health).

There is no way for us to know why your budgie is vibrating its wing or whether it has a blood feather.
Only you can determine if there is a blood feather.
If the vibrating doesn't stop in a day, then you should take the bird to an Avian Vet for a proper diagnosis.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
Are they in the cage all day or do they have out-of-cage time?
Do they have shredding toys to play with?
Do they have swings and ladders?

Please post a picture of your current cage set-up.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
I may have asked you this before but If I did, I don't remember your answer.
Please measure that cage Length, Width and Height and let me know the measurements.

Pressure Sores

1 - 20 of 34 Posts