73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hello
Here is a list of foods-

Cucumber
Carrot
Spinach and other leafy greens
Apples, bananas, and other fruits

Please confirm what quantity and how often should I give these to my budgies.
Thank you

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
You are better off giving vegetables rather than fruits. Fruits should only be given sparingly and perhaps once a week as they are high in sugar content.

The key to a healthy diet for budgies is much the same as it is for humans and other animals. You are best to serve foods in moderation.
Vegetables can be fed daily.
You can make a "chop" every other day if that works for you.
You can give your budgies half one day and refrigerate the second half for the next day.
What you want to do is chop a variety of things, kale, romaine lettuce, and shred carrots to add that to the mix,
Sometimes you may want to add peas and corn and sometimes mix in some cooked quinoa.
Whatever your budgies do not eat after a few hours should be thrown out.
Remember -- Too much fruit is not good anyway because of the high sugar content.

I would recommend you only feed spinach once or twice a week.

Spinach and Parsley contain oxalic acid which binds to calcium, blocks the absorption of calcium and puts stress on the kidneys.
Too much oxalic acid can also cause poor blood clotting and convulsions in birds.
Cucumbers are mostly water and may result in loose droppings if you give them too much.

Other green leafy vegetables you can offer include:

Kale
chard
collard greens
fresh beet greens
fresh mustard greens
fresh turnip greens
endive

Romaine
watercress
fresh sprouts
chickweed and dandelion leaves (ensure they have not been chemically treated)

·
Registered
Mango , Kiwi and late berry
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
You are better off giving vegetables rather than fruits. Fruits should only be given sparingly and perhaps once a week as they are high in sugar content.

The key to a healthy diet for budgies is much the same as it is for humans and other animals. You are best to serve foods in moderation.
Vegetables can be fed daily.
You can make a "chop" every other day if that works for you.
You can give your budgies half one day and refrigerate the second half for the next day.
What you want to do is chop a variety of things, kale, romaine lettuce, and shred carrots to add that to the mix,
Sometimes you may want to add peas and corn and sometimes mix in some cooked quinoa.
Whatever your budgies do not eat after a few hours should be thrown out.
Remember -- Too much fruit is not good anyway because of the high sugar content.

I would recommend you only feed spinach once or twice a week.

Spinach and Parsley contain oxalic acid which binds to calcium, blocks the absorption of calcium and puts stress on the kidneys.
Too much oxalic acid can also cause poor blood clotting and convulsions in birds.
Cucumbers are mostly water and may result in loose droppings if you give them too much.

Other green leafy vegetables you can offer include:

Kale
chard
collard greens
fresh beet greens
fresh mustard greens
fresh turnip greens
endive

Romaine
watercress
fresh sprouts
chickweed and dandelion leaves (ensure they have not been chemically treated)

Thank you so much for this information.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Carrots,
beetroot,
capsicum,
peas,
parsnips,
beans,
corn

Are the things fine for the first chop ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I noticed that my budgie was drinking more water than usual.
And now he has watery droppings.
What is the cause and what is the remedy?

Another thing, Can I give *carrot to my budgies every day?

*In moderation of course

And instead of making chop can I give the vegetables separately?

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Just keep an eye on his droppings for a few days.
If they don't change back to normal let us know.

Yes, you can give carrot every day
Yes you can give the vegetables separately.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
You must check to ensure that any sticks you use for perches are on the list of SAFE woods for budgies and they have NOT been treated with any chemicals or pesticides or gathered near busy roadways which are subject to car exhaust and pollution.

Safe Natural Wood for Budgies

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
You must check to ensure that any sticks you use for perches are on the list of SAFE woods for budgies and they have NOT been treated with any chemicals or pesticides or gathered near busy roadways which are subject to car exhaust and pollution.

Safe Natural Wood for Budgies
I have made some perches out of a piece of wood I found in the park. I washed it and I also removed the Chewy bits (the places budgue could chew) and now it is a simple perch. They don't chew chew it , they just sit on it and poop.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hello
Can someone tell me the difference between English Budgie And whatever other budgie type there is.
I asked this just for my knowledge nothing serious.

And another thing what type are my budgies ? English or the other type (I don't know the other budgie type)

·
Registered
34 Posts
See there are two types of Budgies
The first one is the Australian Budgies and they were used as common pet birdsfrom 1970s in amaricas.Some time later their export from Australia was banned and then they were bred in americas in captivity for commercial purposes making two types the first one being the Australian Budgie and The English budgie.
The major difference between the two is that the English Budgies are larger than the australian ones.

the reply may not be accurate but it is what i have in my knowledge as a starter of birding

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
One of budgie's wing is moving continuously. It's kind of vibrating. I think he has a blood feather, I am not sure because I just a little glimpse of it when it stretched his feathers. What could be the reason ?

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Your budgies are called "American/Pet" type budgies.
English budgies were first bred from Australian budgies in England which is why they are called "English" budgies.
English budgies were bred as show birds and larger birds with bigger heads were chosen when people started "creating" this mutation.
Many English budgies do not live as long as American/Pet type budgies.
If the breeders of English budgies are too vigorous in their breeding practices, always striving for bigger and "fluffier" heads on their birds, they sometime end up with budgies whose heads are too big to be adequately supported by their bodies. This is VERY sad.
An ethical and responsible breeder breeds their budgies (whether American/Pet OR English based on temperament and health).

There is no way for us to know why your budgie is vibrating its wing or whether it has a blood feather.
Only you can determine if there is a blood feather.
If the vibrating doesn't stop in a day, then you should take the bird to an Avian Vet for a proper diagnosis.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts