Talk Budgies Forums banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
In my opinion, first you need to have the drive to want to learn and a questioning mind, which it seems that you have. To a degree it will depend on how much info you are able to gain in person where you live. I my case I am fortunate to live around a large metro area which has enabled me access over the years to in person classes and lectures by several avian vets. I have completed courses in aviculture that span a wide variety of subjects and have done a lot of reading of medical related info. By far the biggest asset in all of it is being able to discuss in depth, any issue with my team of avian vets, whether it is an issue I am experiencing with my own flock or not. A lot is gained by personal experience, when I have an ill bird the goes to the vet I want an in depth explanation for example, don't just tell me there is a GI infection, I want to know how it is contracted, what exactly it is, how it was determined and an explanation of the test results in detail, what is going to be used to treat it and why that particular drug was chosen etc. You may want to watch this to give you an idea of what it takes to become an avian vet.

video about what it takes to become an avian vet

·
Administrator
57,360 Posts
It's great that you want to be an Avian Veterinarian when you grow up!
The best way to learn is to do as much research as you can as well as observing your own budgies and how they act.
Cody has given you excellent advice.
If you want to be an Avian Veterinarian, then you'll need to take math and science courses as your electives in high school to prepare yourself for college/university.
Make sure you take Biology and Chemistry to help prepare yourself for the more advanced courses later on in your education.

·
Registered
Mango , Kiwi and late berry
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Hello
Have got a question in my mind

I love to play with my budgies a lot and they do too. One of my budgies' (Mango) bites a lot and it's hard for me when he sits on my hand 😂.

Is there ANYTHING I can do so he doesn't bite.

Another thing, it's autumn here in India and it's still hot and humid. During afternoon my budgies sleep a lot and I think this is because they are feeling hot because whenever I sprinkle a bit water on them with a sprinkler or put their bathing bowl inside they immediately get active and start bathing 🛁 😂

Sooo..... what can I do ?

·
Administrator
57,360 Posts
If your budgie bites you, even though it may really hurt, you should try to ignore it.
Another option is to try to get your budgie to repeatedly "step up" from finger to finger several times in a row right after he bites. When he realizes this will happen every time he bites, he may stop.
Some people push back gently on the budgie’s beak when it bites. The budgie will stop biting in order to regain his balance.

I would suggest you look into clicker training as that would give you the opportunity to work with Mango without being bitten.

Basics of Clicker Training
Positive Reinforcement in Training.

There is more information regarding clicker training in the stickies at the top of the Taming and Bonding section of the forum.

Yes, your budgies are sleeping more in the afternoons because they are too hot.
Giving them their bathtub to play in during the hottest part of the day is your best option if you have no way to cool the house down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Hello everyone

So, back here in India the weather is changing. Its getting colder day by day.
By the end of this month or so it would be freezing cold (no snow btw)

Getting to the point can I always cover their cage a bit so they don't feel cold.
And does the food have to change or something.

I mean in short I want to know what all things I need to so in winters for them. Precautions and all basically.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I was in the other room having online classes. After sometime I went to check on them. There were some feathers nearby and they looked cold.
Please take a look please.
Bird Eye Beak Parrot Pet supply

I don't know the reason but they look a bit odd.
What to do if they are feeling cold ?
What are the symptoms that they show when they're cold?
Pls pls pls help 🥺

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
Which bird is the one with the all green chest, in this picture he looks like he is trying to show dominance over the other bird, look at the difference in their postures, do they fight? What is the temperature in the house?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Which bird is the one with the all green chest, in this picture he looks like he is trying to show dominance over the other bird, look at the difference in their postures, do they fight? What is the temperature in the house?
The green one is kiwi and yellow one is mango.

Yes they do fight sometimes.

26° Celsius is the usual temperature.

·
Administrator
57,360 Posts
They do not look cold. And the temperature in the house is fine.

Kiwi is intimidating Mango.

What specifically happens when they fight?
Is it actual fighting where they squawk and try to pin one another?
Does Kiwi bully Mango on a regular basis?

If Mango is being bullied regularly, then you need to separate the two into individual cages.
Being bullied and intimidated -- such as not being allowed to eat, perch in a specific spot, play, etc. will be very detrimental to a budgie's physical and mental health.

Do you have natural wood perches of varying diameters in the cage or only wooden dowels?
Natural wooden perches of varying diameters help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
They do not look cold. And the temperature in the house is fine.

Kiwi is intimidating Mango.

What specifically happens when they fight?
Is it actual fighting where they squawk and try to pin one another?
Does Kiwi bully Mango on a regular basis?

If Mango is being bullied regularly, then you need to separate the two into individual cages.
Being bullied and intimidated -- such as not being allowed to eat, perch in a specific spot, play, etc. will be very detrimental to a budgie's physical and mental health.

Do you have natural wood perches of varying diameters in the cage or only wooden dowels?
Natural wooden perches of varying diameters help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage
They usually scream at each other. But sometimes rarely they scream very very loudly and try to like basically they put their claws on each other.

No its not that regular.

When I hand feed them vegetables so kiwi screams at Mango as if he doesn't want him to eat. So I give them separate vegetables and separate books for earing etc.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts