Talk Budgies Forums banner

Questions about Raising KiwiBerry and Mango

10K views 167 replies 6 participants last post by  KiwiBerryAndMango 
#1 ·
Something really strange happened today. My birds were literally fighting. I have 2 males (*mango and kiwi) and I heard one of them screeching and screaming loudly. I went to check on them and I saw that they were fighting badly. Kiwi was putting its claws on mango's chest. And mango was getting really scared of him. He would start flying as soon as kiwi came near him. What do you think happend ? What can I do to stop it ?
*these names are a bit funny to use in a post 😅😂

#5 ·
It is 46cm×34cm×40cm approximately. Here is a picture.

It has 2 perches, a swing, a ladder and 4 Feeders(I have only put 2 because they used to try to get in the other Feeders and get stuck). I just bought the cage some time ago. I have ordered some more toy they'll arrive this week. Do you suggest removing these perches and putting shorter perches. Or do you suggest adding the other Feeders also.

#10 ·
Height = 40 cm
Width = 34cm
Length= 46cm

It has 2 perches, 1 swing , 1 ladder , 4 Feeders (I have only put 2 because they used to try to get in the other Feeders and get stuck). I have ordered more toys which are arriving this week. Do you suggest placing the perches somewhere else ? Or changing them to smaller ones?

#24 ·
i guess that u can teach ur budgies to fly around one room so that u won't have to buy a new cage.U should teach them to stay in one room for most of the time,but yeah it should not have any bed under which they can get stuck.This happened with my budgie and the poor thing was suffocating.It took him some time to be normal.Also ensure that u make a small playstation kinda area for ur budgie and also give them enough exercise

#11 ·
The cage is too small for your budgies.
You need a cage that is longer than it is wide. 30" Long x 18' Wide by 18" High The measurements convert to: 76 cm Long by 46 cm WIde x 46 cm High is the very minimum size recommended for two budgies.
Cages that are wider are better for your birds because budgies fly horizontally/laterally rather than vertically.
The bigger the cage you provide for the budgies, the better. Ensure the spacing between the bars is no more than 1.27 cm.

You need to have a spare cage anyway and the one you are using now can serve as the spare. This will be used if you have to quarantine one of the budgies due to injure or illness, if the budgies end up needing to be separated on a permanent basis and/or as a transport cage if/when Avian Veterinarian visits are required.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

You also need to change the paper at the bottom of the cage at least daily. Hygiene and a Healthy Diet are critical to keeping your budgies healthy.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Provide shredding toys for your budgies, make sure you have a second swing in the cage and have 2 food dishes and 1 water dish in the cage.

Pin feathers are normal on an adult bird. Please read the two articles below.

Molting
Miserable Molting

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

MOST BASIC QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED IN THE STICKIES AND BUDGIE ARTICLES.

#15 ·
The key to a healthy diet for budgies is much the same as it is for humans and other animals. You are best to serve foods in moderation.
Your can give your budgies carrots two or three times a week. Offer other vegetables at other times.

I would recommend you look at on-line pet suppliers that ship to India for a cage of the appropriate size for your budgies. I'm sure there must be suppliers that ship to that country.

#17 ·
Hello!
As it is important to give budgies not only millets and seeds but fruits(I give it moderation as suggested by you all) and vegetables also. I don't give them fruits and vegetables everyday because their dropping gets watery if I do so. I give them vegetables twice or thrice a week and a fruit once in 2 weeks. Like this their droppings are healthy and they are energetic. Do I need to make any changes ?

#26 · (Edited)
Hello.
My seed mix and millet were finished so I ordered them. And this came. It's not the one I usually order. There is no brand name. And I worry this might be harmful thought its for birds only and was sold by a pet shop owner. How should I give this to my budgies? Should I give in small quantities?
pls help 😪

#34 · (Edited)
Please be careful about taking advice from members other than staff. The information offered may not be accurate.

The seed mix you showed in the picture looks to be OK. Budgies should receive 1 1/2 teaspoons of seed per budgie per day.
From where did you order this seed mix?

Try sprouting some of the seed to see if it is fresh.
Sprouting Everything
Growing Seed Sprouts at Home

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

#37 ·
Your budgie is older than 6 months as he has been through at least his first molt (after his baby molt).
As Starling Wings indicated, he is probably between 6 and 9 months old.

Have you ordered new perches for your budgies yet?
I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

#38 · (Edited)
Urgent help needed
Hello
My budies are having loose droppings. I think because of the new millets. I tried sprouting a few millets to see if they are fresh, they did sprout . I don't know what's the problem. I can't take them to the vet right now because I need to go somewhere. I'll change their millet and seed mix when I come back. But what can I do right now ?
Budgies look active and fit though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.