Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Can budgies eat steamed romanesco? Romanesco broccoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's in the same family as cauliflower, broccoli, kale, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, and savoy.

I was just wondering if anyone has fed this to their budgies. I made romanesco carbonara for lunch (yum!) and have some of the veg leftover.

My second question is about Sammy's new cage. He is doing well, but he is clearly still nervous about his new environment. He tends to stay on one high perch and play with the toys around that perch only, moving around to drink and eat. He is talking, healthy, no signs of illness. He is also flock calling a lot, particularly when I leave the room. I know that it will take time for him to adjust, but is there anything that I can do to make him feel more secure in the meantime?

I have a sheet to cover the cage at night, but he likes to see me out of the sides of the cage during the day.

I leave a light on in the kitchen for him at night so that he has a bit of a "night light" without direct light.

Thank you! :)

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,230 Posts
Hey Bethany! To be honest, I've seen this type of broccoli in the market and I haven't tried them. I guess if the broccoli is not hard and somehow soft like the normal broccoli, budgies can eat it. I personally give them some raw broccoli.
Now, something that could comfort Sammy is some noise. You know that budgies love noise so if you leave the radio on or play some videos in youtube with bird whistling, that will keep him occupied and less stressed. I hope that helps!

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Despina! If you like broccoli or cauliflower, you will also love romanesco! I just steam it and then eat it with either tomato sauce or carbonara sauce. You can also eat it plain as a side dish with meat or fish. It's so good! I think it will be safe for Sammy, so maybe I will give him some later tonight and see if he likes it. :)

I will try leaving some music on, particularly in the morning. That's when he seems to be the most nervous. Thank you! :)

Reactions: despoinaki

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,230 Posts
I love them too! :) We make a salad here, boiled cauliflower-broccoli-carrot slices and then serve it with olive oil, salt and lemon juice. I'll give romanesco broccoli a try though! :)
Tell us how Sammy is going, ok? :)

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds delicious! I gave him some of the romanesco this afternoon, and he ate a bit while I was watching, but then he gave up when I walked away. :rolleyes:

He is still hanging out on one perch and woke me up from siesta :)laugh:) by chirping and flock calling, even with music. I got up and covered his cage a bit and he calmed down until I got back up a half hour later. Now the sun's coming in the windows, so it's normal for him to be very active at this time of day. ;)

Reactions: despoinaki

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Hi, Bethany!
If you have the time, sit next to Sammy's cage and play with some of the other toys and perches in it while you talk to him.

Sit your hand on a different perch or make little "legs" using two fingers and run them around on various perches while making excited noises to him. Play with some of the toys and try offering him treats in a saucer on the bottom of the cage. Sit next to him while he enjoys his treats.

In general, just make him aware the all the space in the cage is "safe" and before long he'll be utilizing all of it. :hug:

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Deb! That's great advice! I did that when he first went in the cage, and I'm not sure why I stopped. :rolleyes:

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems that everyone in Madrid and in the US wants to try Romanesco after my Instagram picture :laugh: But Sammy doesn't like it.

I did want to let everyone know that Sammy is doing much better in his new cage! He's exploring his pellets dish (mostly to see his reflection, the little Narcissus), he's found his water dispenser, and tonight he wanted to play on the open gym on the top of the cage as well as a perch that hangs from the outside of the cage! He still doesn't love all of his new toys, but - as we say in Spanish - poco a poco

Thanks for the advice, Despina and Deb! :)

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Sammy is such a handsome little guy he just wants to be sure all of his feathers are properly in place which requires checking his reflection frequently! ;)

Sammy is making great progress since he's exploring and playing on his open play-gym and the outside perch! :thumbsup:
I imagine given a bit more time, Sammy will come to enjoy even more of his new toys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.