Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always under the impression that Banded pied was just another word/ Term for Dominant pied

but After reading a few websites I'm starting to think its 2 different things

I came across Barrie's website (which he's a member here :) ) - as one of the pages I was reading.

so now it has me thinking Is Tweety a Dominant pied or a banded pied or are they actually the same exact thing only some people call them banded and some call them Dominant?

I wasn't even looking up anything to do with Dominant pied, I was looking up Clear Flight pied to see if Continental Pied was another term for it if it was 2 different pieds(by the way those are the exact same just 2 different names LOL)

but on this page of Barrie's about midway down the page it talks about the Dominant Pied and the Banded Pied - show's a pic of a Green Banded pied - Looks a lot like my Tweety only Green Where as Tweety is Blue

http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/coloursmutations.htm

Tweety - He doesn't hold very still for pics any more now that he's older he knows what the camera is lol

so is he dominant like I've always called him - or is he Banded ... or are they really the same thing??

I guess I could of titled this thread " The Many Colors of Tweety" since he's comes out a different shade in almost every picture - The joys of Cameras that refuse to take a picture and show the True colors lol

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always thought they were the same thing, correct me if I am wrong :)
I did too i just thought they called them "Banded pied" because of the clear band across the front :giggle: but then i was reading a few pages and the way they were talking they're 2 different types and then i got all confused again lol

Like the one page Said that the Clear flight pied and Continental clear flight were the same thing just some people call them one name others by the other name (Which those are what i was searching to start with lol) but IT wasn't saying that about the banded pied and dominant pied - they just kept making it seem like they were 2 different things and the "banded" pieds were pretty much not seen any more because so many people has mixed them with the dominant pied

but after about 2 hrs of trying to figure it out on my own, giving my self a migraine, and sending my self into a anxiety attack trying to find answers I gave up and came here LOL

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I did too i just thought they called them "Banded pied" because of the clear band across the front :giggle: but then i was reading a few pages and the way they were talking they're 2 different types and then i got all confused again lol

Like the one page Said that the Clear flight pied and Continental clear flight were the same thing just some people call them one name others by the other name (Which those are what i was searching to start with lol) but IT wasn't saying that about the banded pied and dominant pied - they just kept making it seem like they were 2 different things and the "banded" pieds were pretty much not seen any more because so many people has mixed them with the dominant pied

but after about 2 hrs of trying to figure it out on my own, giving my self a migraine, and sending my self into a anxiety attack trying to find answers I gave up and came here LOL
Lol! Don't fry your brain Kelli :giggle: :D

Maybe it is different, I just have never seen anything except clearflight, dominant and recessive pieds or read that there was another common type myself. Did it say what the difference was supposed to be if so?

Wheres Nev he must know the answer to this :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the main difference was the Banded pied had an actual Clear Band across the belly area

where the ones they were calling Dominant pied - I'd call Badly marked Dominant pied- instead of the clear band it was more of a Choppy clear area's here and there over the front of the bird. but no clear band on its own - like we are used to with Dominant Pieds. and like how Tweety has. and a few other of my dominant pieds Including Jasmine there in that pic with tweety only getting her from the front is like pulling front teeth LOL

Oh as for frying my brain I did that long ago lol - I have a little bit of a OCD issue - and When I get into something - like Breeding the birds I have to know their exact mutations and All my records have to be exactly correct - so a lot of my records have a lot of erasing markings because I find out what they're split to or masking later on where most people are just like well okay what ever. nope not me it has to be exact to the T of what they truly are LOL

·
19,551 Posts
Hmm I always thought that was supposed to be what a dominant pied was. Go figure, I am sure Nev will be along with a great answer on it :)

I know exactly what you mean about records, if it wasn't for the breeding program I use I would be babbling incoherently from frustration :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm I always thought that was supposed to be what a dominant pied was. Go figure, I am sure Nev will be along with a great answer on it :)

I know exactly what you mean about records, if it wasn't for the breeding program I use I would be babbling incoherently from frustration :D
I've tried using a couple but i always end up loosing my computer the stuffs on and getting stuck with the crappy computer like now I lost my really nice High Speed computer to my crappy lap top that I can't even put disks in any more because it doesn't read them any more,And i wait for ever for a page to load lol

so for now i'm keeping to my papers and penciles lots and lots of both LOL then at the end of the year I take the papers out of my binder staple them together and put them in a big yellow envelope and they go in my filing cabinet with that years receipts

·
19,551 Posts
I've tried using a couple but i always end up loosing my computer the stuffs on and getting stuck with the crappy computer like now I lost my really nice High Speed computer to my crappy lap top that I can't even put disks in any more because it doesn't read them any more,And i wait for ever for a page to load lol

so for now i'm keeping to my papers and penciles lots and lots of both LOL then at the end of the year I take the papers out of my binder staple them together and put them in a big yellow envelope and they go in my filing cabinet with that years receipts
Thats frusturating! I have never liked a single one until I founf birds evolution pro. I can back it up onto anything I want and have it on different computers too. Having it on paper is always the safest though, and if you already have alot of records in writing why spend a bunch of time trying to fix something thats not broken :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thats frusturating! I have never liked a single one until I founf birds evolution pro. I can back it up onto anything I want and have it on different computers too. Having it on paper is always the safest though, and if you already have alot of records in writing why spend a bunch of time trying to fix something thats not broken :)

lol that's true about the only problem I think i'm going to run into having it all on paper - is Pencil fades eventually lol but who knows one of these days I may get bored and Just type all the info out and print it out and then put it back in the filing cabinet

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
In another thread you said that there's no such thing as a frosted pied, because you couldn't find an article how you get a frosted pied. Can you tell me how you can get a banded pied? Or does these banded pieds just look a little bit different than our "normal" dom pieds and now some people want to name them differently. If so you can name clearflight pieds that look different frosted pieds.
I'm not looking for a verbal fight; I'm just confused and want answers. I agree with yoyr statement in the other thread that we have to call the different mutations the simplest names possible and keep with those names. As far as I can remember there are only 3 types of pieds recognised on the show bench and banded pieds are not there.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In another thread you said that there's no such thing as a frosted pied, because you couldn't find an article how you get a frosted pied. Can you tell me how you can get a banded pied? Or does these banded pieds just look a little bit different than our "normal" dom pieds and now some people want to name them differently. If so you can name clearflight pieds that look different frosted pieds.
I'm not looking for a verbal fight; I'm just confused and want answers. I agree with yoyr statement in the other thread that we have to call the different mutations the simplest names possible and keep with those names. As far as I can remember there are only 3 types of pieds recognised on the show bench and banded pieds are not there.
From what I am figuring out from reading different pages. is Banded Pied is pretty much Gone now - Because so many people Bred them to Dominant pieds. that the "band" is no longer the way it once was

Like this page for one
Dominant Pied

This type of pied comes two forms, also called the Australian pied and the Banded pied. They are genetically the same variety but have been bred for markings in different areas.
They have pied markings on their wings and body, and may have a clear patch on the back of the head. They may therefore have clear flight feathers and tail feathers. They have normal eyes, grey or flesh colored feet and legs, and normal cere colors.

In the Australian type the pied patches are irregularly shaped and scattered over the body and wings. The Banded pied is mostly normal colored but with a band of white or yellow running around its middle . This band usually also covers the wings, leaving the lower part of them clear of markings.
the way they're talking they are 2 different things

From here: http://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-varieties-with-pied-markings.html

then this one basically repeats it only worded differently

Australian Pied budgerigar mutation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Australian Pied budgerigar mutation is one of approximately 30 mutations affecting the colour of budgerigars. It is the underlying mutation of the Banded Pied variety.
Appearance

All pied budgerigars are characterised by having irregular patches of completely clear feathers appearing anywhere in the body, head or wings. These clear feathers are pure white in blue-series birds and yellow in birds of the green series. Such patches are completely devoid of black melanin pigment. The remainder of the body is coloured normally.The Australian Pieds are very similar in appearance to the Clearflight Pieds, with a nape spot, clear areas on the wings and a clear area on the breast. They differ from the Clearflight Pied in the nape spot, which is not always present, and in their feet, which are usually pink. But the main point of difference is in the clear area of the body, which in the Australian Pied is located in the middle or lower breast, with the upper breast being always normally coloured, so that there is a clear division between the mask and the breast, just as in normal birds. In the Clearflight Pied the clear area on the breast, if present, is almost always adjacent to and running into the mask. Australian Pieds often have larger clear areas on the wings than Clearflight Pieds, with all primaries and many secondaries often clear, but this cannot be taken as a distinguishing feature as the pied areas are very variable in extent in both mutations. Australian Pieds have the usual white iris ring when adult, distinguishing them clearly from Recessive Pieds, which have no iris ring at any age.
In the Australian Pied the clear area often takes the form of a band running across the breast. Birds with such bands are highly prized, especially if the band is clear, sharp and symmetrical, and the feature is now quite common and distinctive due to selective breeding. Such birds comprise the Banded Pied variety.
From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Pied_budgerigar_mutation

and if you go to the above link it shows several pictures of the Australian Pied (Which is what we know as Dominant pied) and in those pictures those are ones I've always considered "badly marked" Dominant pied because they did not have a clear Band across the belly like Everything said Dominant pied has- BUT the way they're talking this is how a Dominant pied is SUPPOSED to look like - With the clear patches are splotchy here and there!

Then there is this page - http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/coloursmutations.htm

It states
The australian dominant pieds are divided into dominant pieds and banded pieds the difference is the chest markings,the

dominant having

irregular and broken patches and the banded having a clear band right round the chest.The australian breeders tried to

improve the banded pied

by crossing them with the dominant pied and bred out the clear bands,we do hope they will return in numbers.
it also shows a picture of a "True Banded Pied"
under the Australian pied (Dominant Pied) if you go to that page when it loads just Hit CTRL and F on your keyboard a box will pop up Type in Banded - and then hit the arrows until it gets to the section on Banded pieds. or just scroll down midway from the top to find it.

Oh and I know your not trying to start an argument or anything, You doing the same as the rest of us :) Trying to learn :D and if you don't ask the questions you have you can't learn ;)

but technically there are 5 Pieds- not sure if the judges count the 4th & 5th as a pied or not though but its Dominant Pied, Recessive pied, Clear Flight Pied, Dark Eye Clear and Spangle( that one confuses me as to how its a pied but I've seen it written as a pied Many times over

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
This is confusing. I have a dominant pied with his belly being seperated by blue and white and i have bred him to a normal budgie and the chick has got a band around the belly. Im so confused :p
Hope nev hurrys up to correct us :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is confusing. I have a dominant pied with his belly being seperated by blue and white and i have bred him to a normal budgie and the chick has got a band around the belly. Im so confused :p
Hope nev hurrys up to correct us :D
You would because its a Dominant gene

The Banded Pied - is more related to the looks where it's a perfect Band across the belly like they're wearing a belt

the dominant pied is Splotchy clear areas all over the front of the belly could be 2 clear spots, could be small clear spots, large clear spots. etc its Random and varies but there is no Clear band that looks like a belt. The front of the bird is Mainly its entire Body color(like a normal non pied would be) it just has clear patches here and there.

What I'm trying to find out is if the Banded Pied was really a Type of dominant pied on its own Before Breeders back in the day ruined it. OR if its just another word used for Dominant Pied. Because if at one time it was a Type of Dominant pied (almost like a Mutation of its own) then I have been working on Getting the clear band like Barrie's website spoke about Back- w/out even knowing it! or really trying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.