Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister got two budgies for her birthday. We believed that one was a full rainbow parakeet. I had not done any research about what rainbow budgies actually looked like but now that I know I believe we got completely ripped off considering that Bailey (our supposed 'rainbow' parakeet) cost an extra 10 dollars because of his coloring.

Here is his coloring. (Also, we are not sure whether or not he is male or female, we'll be scheduling a vet appointment soon to determine the genders for both.)

Since it's likely that he's not a rainbow keet, what mutations and breed/type does he have?

Thank you for any help!
Bird Parrot Beak Terrestrial plant Feather

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More importantly, how is the bird settling in?
Of course!! He's doing good! He has a little basket ball hoop with a mirror and he absolutely loves it. He's got Banana (Our other keet) and lots of toys, food, water, etc. So he's doing nicely currently!

Even if he's not a rainbow keet, paying extra for him was definitely worth it. He's got such a wonderful personality. Colors and breed aren't the most important thing - I'm sorry if I made it seem that way.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Of course!! He's doing good! He has a little basket ball hoop with a mirror and he absolutely loves it. He's got Banana (Our other keet) and lots of toys, food, water, etc. So he's doing nicely currently!

Even if he's not a rainbow keet, paying extra for him was definitely worth it. He's got such a wonderful personality. Colors and breed aren't the most important thing - I'm sorry if I made it seem that way.
No worries, just checking :)
$10 “extra” for a healthy bird that’s going to live a long life isn’t a lot in the long run ;)

Can you post some frontal pictures? We can help you confirm if it’s a boy or a girl.
What’s his/her name?
Is s/he your only budgie?
How big is his/her cage and what are you feeding him/her?
I know that he probably likes it, but please remove the mirror. Mirrors are really bad for all parrots, psychologically-speaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries, just checking :)
$10 “extra” for a healthy bird that’s going to live a long life isn’t a lot in the long run ;)

Can you post some frontal pictures? We can help you confirm if it’s a boy or a girl.
What’s his/her name?
Is s/he your only budgie?
How big is his/her cage and what are you feeding him/her?
I know that he probably likes it, but please remove the mirror. Mirrors are really bad for all parrots, psychologically-speaking.
I'll get some frontal pictures as soon as I can.
I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the cage but the size was recommended from the research I had done + from budgies experts from the place we adopted them from. We're feeding them a brand called Dr. Harvey's (I'll attach a photo of it)
His name is Bailey, and he has a buddy named Banana (Not sure if she is a girl yet)
Also, just out of curiosity, I had thought that mirrors were good for budgies - do you know why they aren't?

Thank you for the help!
Plant Font Grass Rectangle Bird

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

Bailey is a very handsome boy!
wmcburke or StarlingWings will be able to advise you with regard to his mutation when they are on-line.
I've moved your thread to "Mutations and Genetics" which is the proper section for an inquiry of this nature. :)

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
Bailey is a very cute bird, I see that he/she has a wing clip on only one side, this makes the bird unbalanced and if Bailey tries to fly he will not be able to until the clipped feathers molt out and new ones grow in. Would love to see Banana as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bailey is a very cute bird, I see that he/she has a wing clip on only one side, this makes the bird unbalanced and if Bailey tries to fly he will not be able to until the clipped feathers molt out and new ones grow in. Would love to see Banana as well.
Yeah, I realized that after doing the research. I got both Banana and Bailey with one of their wings clipped each. I haven't looked very far into the clip vs not clip argument but I am very open to hearing both sides of it as I want the best for my budgies. Banana is extremely shy which was very alarming to us because she bites us hard when we try to hold her. She is still very scared. Is there any advice on how we can help her trust us more?

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!
Bailey is an adorable little boy. He’s an olive greywing normal budgie. 👍🏻 And a handsome model!

You’ve been given great advice above regarding mirrors by Condiment Condor up there, and great resources and other advice from the other mods. Please be sure to read through the links provided above as they’ll help you to stay updated on the best of budgie care practices! 💕

If you have any questions after reading through things, please be sure to ask as we’d be happy to help.
Hope to see you, Bailey and Banana around here!
👋🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi there and welcome to the forums!
Bailey is an adorable little boy. He’s an olive greywing normal budgie. 👍🏻 And a handsome model!

You’ve been given great advice above regarding mirrors by Condiment Condor up there, and great resources and other advice from the other mods. Please be sure to read through the links provided above as they’ll help you to stay updated on the best of budgie care practices! 💕

If you have any questions after reading through things, please be sure to ask as we’d be happy to help.
Hope to see you, Bailey and Banana around here!
👋🏻
Thank you so much everyone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts