Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

I posted a couple of other threads... But now the Chicks are almost ready to fledge, so I thought I'd show you some more pics and I'm hoping that the lovely Mutation Experts will see this post, and answer my questions...

Three of the chicks look basically the same, although the middle chick is slightly lighter than the oldest two and has more light grey in it's wings, and it's tail feathers aren't as yellow as the older two... The youngest chick has deeper grey markings on it's wings...

On other posts, several people commented about these chicks being rainbows - are they?

If not - what is their mutation?

Any cere's you can see - feel free to give me their sex... I think the eldest and youngest are both boys - but I'm still learn...

Any help is alway greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance... Anj

Pic 1 & 2 Oldest Chick
Pic 3, 4, 5 Second oldest Chick

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think Rainbows are a combination of Clearwing, opaline, yellow face, in blue series. So, it seems that yours are spangle, no?
So, technically not rainbows, but they look very similar.

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I could not even begin to tell you what a rainbow should look like but those babies are stunning :):)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
No they are not rainbows. They both look to be golden face (or YF2) opaline spangle sky blues.
Often people will sell such birds as rainbows because they do look very similar, but to get an actual rainbow budgie by definition is a yellowface (any variety although goldenace is best) opaline clearwing blue series. The double factor goldenface opaline clearwing violet skyblue is said to be the most vibrant of all composite rainbow varieties.

Personally, i hope to one day find or make a new pied variety - the banded pied. I hope this will be a pied bird that has a clear belly band just like dominant pied, but i dont want any clear feathers on the wings. If i can find this breed, i think it would make an excellent addition to the violet rainbow mentioned above.

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help everyone...

I'm not at all bothered that they are not 'Rainbows'... I just wanted to know their mutations - That's all...

They are so gorgeous... I'm secretly hoping that one of the sales will fall through, and I can keep one!! lol

Also... I posted a pic of the other two chicks in that Clutch - the baby is slightly diferent... And idea of it's mutation? Or is it the same, the wing markings are just more pronounced?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know but they look EXACTLY like my old parakeet that I found in my backyard a year ago that passed away! That's weird! Did you have any runaway parakeets?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your question seems to have been answered. I agree they are yellow face opaline spangles and technically not rainbows. They are a lot easier to breed than true rainbows

·
Registered
126 Posts
no they are not rainbows,they are dulite spangle graywings,with yellow face but in order to be yf2's the face has to have the deep golden color of a buttercup.
and rainbows are not just found in the blue sewries either you can get them from
both color series birds.
it is a combination of the base color pluse two other colors that bleed into each other
any other expert out there correct me if i am wrong. but i belive it is as i said
joenbonnie53

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
,they are dulite spangle graywings,with yellow face but in order to be yf2's the face has to have the deep golden color of a buttercup. joenbonnie53
Thanks for your input...

I don't think they are Dulite Grey Wings... I guess they may look like they have a little grey in the wings, so the picture might be confusing...

The oldest two have very bright yellow faces - as does their father (Golden Face Sky Blue Spangle Opaline) but the colouring in their wings is just blue, yellow and white... The middle chick has a very light touch of grey in it's wings and the baby has very similar wing markings to his dad...

All of the chicks have their fathers lovely suffusion of colour on their body... So the breast feathers are teal in places and sky blue in other places...

They are my prettiest clutch this year...

Thanks for all your input...

Anj

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
no they are not rainbows,they are dulite spangle graywings,with yellow face but in order to be yf2's the face has to have the deep golden color of a buttercup.
and rainbows are not just found in the blue sewries either you can get them from
both color series birds.
it is a combination of the base color pluse two other colors that bleed into each other
any other expert out there correct me if i am wrong. but i belive it is as i said
joenbonnie53
The budgerigar society defines a rainbow budgie as a yellow face (any variety) opaline clearwing blue series. Dilute, greywing and spangle are not included in that definition. Dilute and greywing are actually undesirable as they dilute the colouration of the budgie - the whole point of rainbows is to get a vibrant coloured bird with multiple bright blended colours. Opaline spangle YF2 blues are a similar mutation but by no means true rainbows. I have never heard of anyone calling anything other than a blue series budgie a "rainbow", although im sure there are some people who might like to call their green series birds of multiple mutations a rainbow if they are colorful. I have heard say that there are some YF2 Opaline greywing sky blues or YF2 opaline Full body clearwing sky blues that have little dilution and are quite pretty, but again i would prefer clearwings over greywing or dilute when making a rainbow myself.

Anj's birds are YF2 (or goldenface going by their father) opaline spangle sky blues. And to answer her question, the second chick seems to have less opalescence than you might expect and more 'standard' dark spangle markings. If both parents are opaline (which i think they are) this chick must too be an opaline, but it looks closer in appearance to a normal spangle showing opalescence. This is a good example of genetic variation among siblings with the same mutation. Breeding is never a sure thing :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've never heard of the rainbow colouration in budgies, being a pet owner rather than a breeder or exhibitor, but these babies are certainly very pretty! If I was asked about their colouring, all i would be able to say is that it's some sort of variation on the spangle theme, as my Billy is a blue spangle.

How old are your babies at the moment - do they all have homes lined up, or is there one you've reserved for yourself to keep as they're so pretty?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
589 Posts
Oh my goodness! They are so sweet! I have a yellowface type 2 skyblue opaline spangle.
I must admit, they are quite easy to confuse with rainbows, but they are beautiful anyway!

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Hey!
All I know is they atre absolutely gorgeous!

but it looks like they were taken outside, I would remove them before a mod comes ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.