Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rani doesn’t like Millet…I cannot get her to come out of the cage at all. She will come out after hrs when she sees the food is out. What are some other treats I can try for her if she doesn’t like millet ?
Raja on the other comes out in the morning after couple of attempts with millet and a perch. He comes out sits usually on top of the cage sometimes he’ll go back in

I really want to throughly clean the cage.
also the whole room smells like birds.. I know not to use sprays or candles or anything how do I deodorize their room
Wood Mesh Roof Tints and shades Metal
Bird Pet supply Beak Parrot Feather
Wood Mesh Pet supply Composite material Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can clean the cage with her in it if necessary by working around her.
She considers the cage to be her safe place so she doesn't want to leave it and should not be forced to.
You may find that when you start removing items from the cage, she will decide to come out on her own.

Safe Cleaning
Safe Use of Medical Grade Essential Oils
thank you for a quick response any other treat ideas?

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Some people have good luck using a tiny bit of fruit as a treat.
Obviously this is used sparingly (like millet) because of the high sugar content.
You might try a bit of orange, apple, banana or strawberry to see if Raini is interested.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some people have good luck using a tiny bit of fruit as a treat.
Obviously this is used sparingly (like millet) because of the high sugar content.
You might try a bit of orange, apple, banana or strawberry to see if Raini is interested.
I have tried all of those in various forms ..sliced cut thru the cage in the food bowl …she is not interested at all! Scoffs at me and runs the other way or doesn’t touch it in the bowl

·
Super Moderator
18,583 Posts
It may be hard to clean the cage around her at first, but since Rajah is coming out and roaming about maybe she just needs time to feel comfortable to come out as well! Hopefully she decides she's brave enough to come out and explore soon :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried hanging the millet in her cage so she can get a taste for it when you are not around?

Millet terrified my birds at first so I left a piece in there for a couple days they have been millet monsters ever since 😅
She used to eat it until she figured out I’m using it as a way to get her out. Now she literally scoffs at it and turns the other direction

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may be hard to clean the cage around her at first, but since Rajah is coming out and roaming about maybe she just needs time to feel comfortable to come out as well! Hopefully she decides she's brave enough to come out and explore soon :)
Thank you she comes out after 4 or 5 hrs because the food is out and she’s starving by then :( I just wish she would come out and explore

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do you want to make her come out? Let her choose. If she chooses to come out reward her with millet as that as the behaviour you want her to exhibit. It is about training through a reward system rather than coercion.
I was thinking in the sense of her just being more comfortable out of the cage and have the whole room for herself but I like your perspective on it as well…I’ll let her be and just talk to her and enjoy her 💕

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Many budiges prefer to stay in their cage as they consider it to be their "Safe Place".
If/when she is ready to come out she will do so.
You can put perches on the outside of the cage, and, if the top of the cage is flat you can get a play gym to put on top of the cage.
Otherwise, you can put the play gym somewhere near the cage.
However, you shouldn't try to force Rani out. It needs to be her decision.
Leave some of the food in the cage so she isn't starving when you put the other food outside the cage.

I agree with Cody that you are better off having the cage up on a table or chest.
Aside from liking to be up high, allowing the budgies to play on the floor puts them at risk of them accidentally being stepped on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you . I didn’t force her today at all let her play at her will. I put the cage on floor because I got them with their wings clipped so I thought if they were high And the door was open I didn’t want them to fall and hurt them selves. I will put them on a table today

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
If all the flight feathers are clipped then they cannot fly and will crash to the floor, and that is not good. Maybe keep the cage on the table when they are in it and on the floor for out of the cage time, but as FaeryBee said you don't want to risk them being stepped on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put some perches on the outside of my ladies cage. When I open the cage one has learnt how to climb out and up on top. When she is done she climbs back down the perches and hops inside.

It isn't ideal out of cage time but it is just temporary until their flight feathers grow in.

I think it is achieving my purpose in helping them become confident in my home and hang out with me more. Hopefully when the time comes they will be ready for zooms :love:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If all the flight feathers are clipped then they cannot fly and will crash to the floor, and that is not good. Maybe keep the cage on the table when they are in it and on the floor for out of the cage time, but as FaeryBee said you don't want to risk them being stepped on.

This afternoon I brought them back to the sunroom and it seems they are much happier here and also a little bit higher…for the first time I saw raja playing with his toys. I guess when I want to let them out of the cage I can take them. Because there are no doors in the sunroom except the one that goes out. To the living room the kitchen there are opening and we have really high ceiling so I would be so scared to let them out in this room
Pet supply Wood Gas Rectangle Mesh
Picture frame Property Table Wood Interior design

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Having the cage on the bench and putting the blanket on the floor in front of the door is a very good option for now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts