Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I'm right in thinking that Starshine on the left is a Skyblue Recessive Pied n' Twinkle on the right is Cobalt Dominate Pied?

Starshine's older than her by 2-3 months n' has all black eyes while she has medium irises now.

also...

Starshine only has throat spots only on the left side? If he doesn't have them on the right yet will he stay that way?

If they ever bred would they have only Dominant or Recessive or is there a chance to have normal colored budgies?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your correct on the mutations

Starshine's throat spot is due to being a Pied

Unless Twinkle is split to recessive pied all babies will be Dominant pied and Normals (non pied)
all of them will be split to Recessive pied

as for the color you'll get Normal blue and Dark Blue(which would be cobalt)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thank you :)

So how would one get Recessive Pieds? Without having two Recessive Pieds to start with I guess. Is it just a 'whoops, how'd this happen?' deal in breeding?

Love that their irises remain dark. With the two of them next to each other, Starshine looks all innocence n' Twinkle's beady eyed n' up to no good hehe

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Awesome, thank you :)

So how would one get Recessive Pieds? Without having two Recessive Pieds to start with I guess. Is it just a 'whoops, how'd this happen?' deal in breeding?

Love that their irises remain dark. With the two of them next to each other, Starshine looks all innocence n' Twinkle's beady eyed n' up to no good hehe
the Easiest way is having 2 recessive pied birds lol

but if you have 1 recessive and 1 split you get some recessive pied babies

same as if both parents are split you get some recessive pied babies

you just get more if both are Visual

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I could ignore the genetic mechanics (which I kinda need to as it's giving me a 'duh' headache) n' if these do end up being a **** n' hen n' do mate.. I'll just expect puppies then be pleasantly surprised with what ever I did get ;) Who doesn't enjoy a good surprise aye? Should rename 'em Rover n' Fifi. Oh uh, I can feel an ill ****ing theme coming on now... toys in the shapes of bones, already have the newspaper lining, breeding box shaped n' decorated as a dog house, teach them to bark hehehe

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I love the first picture where they're flirting through the cage bars.

Starshine is recessive pied sky blue. Gender unknown because I can't tell color of cere. S/he'll never develop iris rings due to mutation. If you post close-up pic of cere in natural lighting (no flash), we can identify gender.

Twinkle is dominant pied cobalt. He's definitely male due to dark blue cere. He'll have iris rings.

As ATVChick (an expert) said, they'll have recessive pied babies only if Twinkle is split for recessive pied. This is because a recessive pied must have two recessive pied genes -- one from each parent.

Here's a great mutations website: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html.

I'll just expect puppies ...
Puppies ... or chicks? :laughing2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heh puppies, so then when I don't get a litter of lil furballs I'd be surprised ;) N' since surprises make me happy, it wouldn't matter if I didn't end up with Recessive Pieds for there big beautiful eyes if I was expecting puppies to begin with right? :p

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Both birds look like males!
Starshine's cere is not easy to see in the picture but it looks pinkish which means male for a recessive pied. Twinkle is definitely male

If they are male and female they would have about half normal chicks and half dominant pied chicks, unless Twinkle happened to be split for recessive pied. If he is split you could expect about 25% each of normal, recessive pied, dominant pied and combinations of the two pied types. About half the chicks would be sky blue and half cobalt

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both birds look like males!
Starshine's cere is not easy to see in the picture but it looks pinkish which means male for a recessive pied. Twinkle is definitely male
Well that'd probably be for the best if they were both males. Wouldn't have to worry about breeding before I was educated enough n' prepared to deal with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.