Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have been making great use of this forum since bringing home my first budgie 2 months ago. He's been such a happy, tame little fellow that I decided to find him a companion sooner than I'd originally planned, and yesterday I brought home a 2-3 month old bird adopted from an outdoor aviary (lots of those in South Florida) that was getting a bit crowded.

I was pretty set on a male, but there were only two birds around Merlin's age, both active and charming... so I'm perfectly happy with a female, if that's what I have (just hoping that both being juveniles increases the chances they'll get along after quarantine). Definitely prepared to discourage breeding or prevent viable eggs, if it comes to that.

I was surprised to see how white his/her nares look in the attached photos, because in person they look more pale blue. Heard this was the place to ask!
20210716_182523.jpg 20210716_182705_001.jpg 20210716_182542.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
On my computer the cere of the bird in the picture looks to be fairly dark pink, if that is the case in person then this cutie is a male. Because of this birds mutation, assuming it is a male, the cere will not turn to a dark blue like in other mutations as he matures. I will differ final judgement to our mutation expert when it is viewed.

·
Administrator
55,939 Posts
You definitely have a very handsome baby budgie BOY!! 💙

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,252 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

You have an absolutely precious little boy :D Because he's a recessive pied budgie, his cere will stay that pink color for the rest of his life. What have you named him? Percival would be cute, to go with Merlin, if you're still thinking ;) ;)

I'm glad to hear that the forums have been helpful to you so far! Please be sure to read through the links and resources provided above to ensure you are up to date on everything, and if you have any questions, please do ask as we'd be more than happy to help!

We hope to see you around, and meet Merlin soon, too :D

Cheers 👋

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome! I was really trying to drill my inexperienced eyes on ceres (one of your users here has one of the best resources!) before going to see the aviary, and I'm so pleased he's a little boy, after all!

Percival is one of the top contenders for a name, indeed! It'll be that or Tristan, I'll have to see a bit of his personality as it comes out. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.