Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a budgie is a recessive pied their eyes are always going to be a plum color...
Okay...
So...how can you tell the age of a budgie who is a recessive pied?

I know about the bar head...but the particular bird I'm trying to decipher age on does NOT have ANY marking on her head.

Also, as usual, I know a picture would help, but no go :)

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
I'm really not sure. Aside from guessing, I'm not really sure there is a good solid way to tell. I mean, even with other mutations, it's never 100%, it's usually just a ballpark estimate.

I could be wrong, so I'll let other's answer :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really not sure. Aside from guessing, I'm not really sure there is a good solid way to tell. I mean, even with other mutations, it's never 100%, it's usually just a ballpark estimate.

I could be wrong, so I'll let other's answer :)
Thanks for taking a look though :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly she doesn't. For some reason...SOME STUPID REASON (sorry I'm very angry about this subject) no one in this friggin' place puts bands on the birds they breed. I swear...I wish I could beat them with a smart stick. I certainly plan on banding my birds.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Some of mine are banded and some are not. One of my budgies hates his band.
It only really states the years they are born and the rest are the breeders personal
code.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would still be useful though....Espescially on a bird like the one I'm talking about. Her age is so difficult to determine. Though...speaking of your budgie that has the band that it hates...sometimes they can cause medical problems and need to be removed. Is yours having that issue? I just thought I'd give you a heads up :) Not like you need one. You seem to be very efficient :D

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
No, no health issues with his band, just doesn't like it.
If he continues to pick at it we will have an avian vet remove it.
Now that he has a female companion it seems to not bother him so much.;)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, no health issues with his band, just doesn't like it.
If he continues to pick at it we will have an avian vet remove it.
Now that he has a female companion it seems to not bother him so much.;)
I'm glad he's got a girlfriend :D

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
It is hard to tell the age of r.pied for the reason you stated already. Head bars are also not considered indicators because r.pieds have irregular markings on their bodies including their heads. This is why you often see adult r.pieds with heads full of baby bars :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is hard to tell the age of r.pied for the reason you stated already. Head bars are also not considered indicators because r.pieds have irregular markings on their bodies including their heads. This is why you often see adult r.pieds with heads full of baby bars :)
My problem with her is she has all clear head feathers :) She's almost all white. She's such a pretty little baby :D I can't wait to get a camera and show ya'll so you can help me figure more things out. It's kind of silly to ask for all this help when you can't even SEE my babies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.