Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told if a recessive pied does not have markings on their flight feathers then they're most likely not pure Recessive pied meaning They're a combo of Recessive pied and most likely Dominant pied

I've never heard this before and never noticed Recessive pieds should have markings on their flights Every one I've seen had clear Flights

here are 2 of mine

Logan

Pongo

Top left corner

on the right

But then a friend sent me a couple pics of hers and they have markings on their flight feathers

when I went to www.*************** to look it up the 2 recessive pieds they show the back view of have their wings clipped so it was not any help

So are Recessive pieds supposed to have markings on the flight feathers or are they supposed to be clear?

I'm pretty sure Pongo doesn't have Dominant pied in him He's bred with Topaz who is a DF dominant pied recessive pied and I did not get any DF dominant pied just recessive pied and a combo of Dominant and recessive pied

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

now back to the Drawing board to figure out why mine don't lol

Mine are from 2 different places entirely and bought almost 2 years apart so i know they're not related Plus i'm thinking Logan is a boy Was supposed to be a girl lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's the way it is supposed to work, recessive should have markings on the flight feathers. If they don't there is something else going on. If it was bred from a dominant pied, it could very well be combo.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't bred logan yet but I've bred Pongo to a double factor dominant pied recessive pied (both visually) and I got no double factor dominant pieds So I don't think pongo has dominant pied

and I'll find out eventually with Logan when I decide what female to put him to since I got him assuming he was a girl that game plan changed big time lol I got him for a mate for Pongo LOL

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The pied markings on a recessive pied are random so just because the flight feathers are clear it doesn't mean that the recessive pied is combined with dominant pied. However birds that are combined will always have clear flight feathers. Sometimes there are other signs that the bird is a combination but often breeding results are the only way to be sure

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pied markings on a recessive pied are random so just because the flight feathers are clear it doesn't mean that the recessive pied is combined with dominant pied. However birds that are combined will always have clear flight feathers. Sometimes there are other signs that the bird is a combination but often breeding results are the only way to be sure
Thanks Nev, until recently I've never seen a recessive pied with markings on its flights or if I did i just never noticed it

these 2 are going to be hard for me to tell them apart lol

my plan was to keep one in the top community cage and one in the bottom community cage but my b/f's plan is One cage is for English Only (once I get some more so i can keep the even numbers going which is the only way my flock live in harmony) and one cage for the American Budgies community cage

from the back I'll be able to tell them apart Pongo's rump is all blue until the tail comes out of the body then there is a clear patch right where the tail feathers start out of the body

Logan has the same blue but its blotchy he has a couple clear spots on his rump

but so far from the front I haven't seen any differences to know who is who :eek:

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I know Nev already answered your question, but FWIW, some of my RPs have clear flights and some have marked flights. My combined DP-RP's have clear flights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.