Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the colour of a RP's cheeck patches? I thought it is violet, but now I have 2 babies and their cheeck patches are white.
The markings on these 2 are also very pale.
The mother is a GF violet FB greywing. I don't know who the father is, because I'm doing colony breeding.
Here are some pictures of the babies.

Attachments

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
both of mine are sky blue Recessive pied and have blue cheek patches

is the mom by chance Dominant pied as well?

looks like either Double factor Dominant pied or a combo of Dominant Pied & recessive pied

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both of mine are sky blue Recessive pied and have blue cheek patches

is the mom by chance Dominant pied as well?

looks like either Double factor Dominant pied or a combo of Dominant Pied & recessive pied
That was my line of thinking as well - when I compare my birds with others that I found here on TB and other places, but unfortunately the hen is not a dominant pied. [In fact, there is one clearflight pied in my avairy, but I cannot identify it. 3 of my babies are clearflight pieds.]
Here is a picture of the hen. The second picture is the one I think is the father: Green RP (The green bird in the picture is his father - the mother is a cobalt)

Attachments

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
That was my line of thinking as well - when I compare my birds with others that I found here on TB and other places, but unfortunately the hen is not a dominant pied. [In fact, there is one clearflight pied in my avairy, but I cannot identify it. 3 of my babies are clearflight pieds.]
Here is a picture of the hen. The second picture is the one I think is the father: Green RP (The green bird in the picture is his father - the mother is a cobalt)
hmm I'm not sure then

but i know in colony breeding it is very possible for an egg to be in a nest that doesn't belong to Either parent that is using the box it's happened many times So the mom nor the dad was the actual parents

but if you don't have any other dominant pied's in your aviary than I am lost lol

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I can't help any, but if you'd like I can contribute pictures of my two recessive pieds. Winter's cheek patches are white. Sunny's are blue and white stripes.

Pics if you want: Winter and Sunny.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Are you sure the father is a RP green? He looks a bit like a YF2 RP sky blue. He also has clear cheek patches.

By the way, the baby is gorgeous! :loveeyes:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There is no particular colour for a recessive pied's cheek patches. The cheek patches will take their colour from the bird's base colour. If the pied areas cover the cheek patches they could just look white or yellow. A grey recessive pied will have blue or grey cheek patches. A blue or green based recessive pied will have violet cheek patches. If the bird has a violet factor the shade of the cheek patches will be brighter. Cinnamon recessive pieds have lilac cheek patches.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
A blue or green based recessive pied will have violet cheek patches. If the bird has a violet factor the shade of the cheek patches will be brighter.
would it be brighter as in looking more Violet or could it look blue?

Because I've often wondered if my 1st Rp had a violet factor but his cheek patches look more Navy blue or maybe Cobalt blue would be a better word to use. They're defiantly not Violet (i know that color well :D )

and is that only for Recessive pieds? or would it go for Dom. pieds as well?

I have a dominant Pied Who I know has a violet factor and he's cobalt and his cheek patches match the Recessive pieds to a T

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't help any, but if you'd like I can contribute pictures of my two recessive pieds. Winter's cheek patches are white. Sunny's are blue and white stripes.

Pics if you want: Winter and Sunny.
Thanks for the pictures, Angela.
Nev, I got your info as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure the father is a RP green? He looks a bit like a YF2 RP sky blue. He also has clear cheek patches.

Thanks. (Is there a budgiie that isn't gorgeous?) What makes you think it is a YF RP Sky blue?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks. (Is there a budgiie that isn't gorgeous?) What makes you think it is a YF RP Sky blue?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.