Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recipe for Fabulous Rum Cake

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Kate C 
#1 ·
Notes: For the "high-octane version", I use 3/4 cup of rum rather than 1/2 cup in the cake and cut the water back to 1/4 cup.

Also, in the glaze, I use 3/4 cup of rum rather than 1/2 cup and cut the water back to 2 TBLSP

I also use a 9x13 baking pan and let the cake soak in the glaze overnight and then serve directly from that pan because you have a better infusion of rum into the cake that way.

Bacardi Rum Cake
Serves: 16
Preparation Time: 5 to 7 Minutes
Baking Time: 50-55 Minutes
Assembly Time: 10 Minutes

Cake:
Vegetable Oil spray for misting the pan
Flour for dusting the pan
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup Barcardi dark rum
1/2 cup vegetable oil (such as canola, corn, or sunflower)
1/2 cup water
4 large eggs
Glaze:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Barcardi dark rum
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil spray then dust with flour. Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Set the pan aside. (Note: I prefer to use a 13"x9" pan and let the cake "steep" in the glaze!)
2. Combine all cake ingredients in large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat for 2 minutes on medium scraping the sides of the bowl again if needed. The batter should look thick and smoth. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 50-55 minutes. It should be golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. Remove from oven and pace on wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
4. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it on serving platter (unless using the 13"x9" pan - then just leave the cake in the pan). Poke holes in the top of the cake with a wooden skewer or toothpick
5. Prepare the glaze. Place the butter in a small saucepan and melt it over low heat, 2 - 3 minutes. Add the water and sugar, stirring. Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and let the glaze simmer until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rum. Spoon the glaze over the warm cake. Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing.
Cake is moist and deletable! Freezes well (for up to 6 months) wrapped in foil.

ENJOY!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I may be wrong (I don't know how these things work), but I thought I remember hearing that the alcohol doesn't actually cause its "effects" after it's baked like this. You can definitely still taste it, but it won't get you drunk. On our Caribbean cruises I've always loved going into the Tortuga rum stores and sampling their rum cake (and purchasing some). They probably wouldn't sell it to a minor if it could get you buzzed, but then again this was in the Caribbean. :D

#6 ·
Again, thank you. :)

#8 ·
Gee we haven't seen Dave for weeks, but mention booze and he turns up.

Yes the alcohol cooks off so you can't actually get drunk from it.

It would also depend on what country you are in and then also some states as to whether you are underage or not.

In Australia it is 18 (you can drink anything alcoholic not just beer). It was really silly when I was a teenager, I had a second job waitressing in an RSL Club (Returned Services League Club) when I was 18. I could serve everyone food but when I finished work I could not even stay for a soft drink (soda) as you had to be 21 to drink in an RSL Club but I could go to a pub and get blind drunk if I so wished.

At the same time in Queensland you had to be 21 to drink anywhere and Coolangatta and Surfers Paradise where favourite places for school leavers to go for Schoolies week. They are right on the border with New South Wales and the drinking age there was 18 so for us to drink legally we had to go across the border into NSW.

Thanks for the recipe Deb, I had already copied it and saved it with your first post. I just have to figure out what Australian alternative there is to the Vanilla Pudding (maybe alter it for Chocolate) and use Chocolate cake mix instead of the Butter Cake Mix or yellow cake mix as you call it. And figure out how much butter is in 1 stick, ours comes in tubs or blocks and you usually have to weigh it. Wonder if Bundaberg Rum can be alternated for Bacardi. It comes in Underproof and Overproof. Overproof really knocks your socks off.

#10 ·
I just have to figure out what Australian alternative there is to the Vanilla Pudding (maybe alter it for Chocolate) and use Chocolate cake mix instead of the Butter Cake Mix or yellow cake mix as you call it. And figure out how much butter is in 1 stick, ours comes in tubs or blocks and you usually have to weigh it. Wonder if Bundaberg Rum can be alternated for Bacardi. It comes in Underproof and Overproof. Overproof really knocks your socks off.
1 stick of butter equals 8 TBSP or 1/2 cup.

You can use chocolate pudding mix, with either yellow cake mix or chocolate cake mix depending on how chocolatey you like your cake.

Another variation is adding 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter. ;)

You can use any kind of rum you wish.

If you prefer a light rum, you can use it instead of the dark, but it doesn't seem to have quite the "kick" to it (at least in the states).

If you don't "cook" the rum that's in the glaze, that alcohol remains potent! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.