Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have neva seen a red budgie before u r prob thinking of another bird.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I googled "red budgie" and I found some pics but no relevant details.
Could they have been dyed?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Actually I googled "red budgie" and I found some pics but no relevant details.
Could they have been dyed?
From my understanding there is no such thing as a Red Budgie as Budgies do not have the required genetics to procude a red or pink mutation. A lot of things can dye a Budgie a red or pink colour such as mineral blocks, being fed specific coloured supplements mainly for red factor canaries or indeed people dying them colours.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I was thinking. But I thought better get some inputs from the pros.
Actually by mistake I have posted this post under a wrong topic, can the mods please shift this to genetics section.

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
I have moved it for you.

Genetically you cannot have a red or pink budgie. In the colour spectrum there are 3 primary colours, Blue, Yellow and Red. All other colours are made from mixing the primary colours. The original colour of the budgie is green, which is a secondary colour and that is comprised of blue and yellow. We got blue budgies because the yellow gene went dormant in some birds.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
You get a Pinkish Bourke Parrotlet (Neophema bourkii) and if I am correct it is a bit bigger than a Budgie.

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts

I was going to say the same thing :) They're commonly known as Rosey Bourkes. They're very cute :)
Yes, Rosy Bourkes are pinkish. They are extremely cute but not very social. (towards people) Of course, there aren't any red budgies. It is not possible for a budgie to be *naturally red. :)

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Yes, Rosy Bourkes are pinkish. They are extremely cute but not very social. (towards people) Of course, there aren't any red budgies. It is not possible for a budgie to be *naturally red. :)
I disagree, I know a fair few people who keep them as pets and they are very social towards them, likewise mine frequently follow me around the aviary to see what I'm up to.

It depends on the birds the same as it does with Budgies.

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
I disagree, I know a fair few people who keep them as pets and they are very social towards them, likewise mine frequently follow me around the aviary to see what I'm up to.

It depends on the birds the same as it does with Budgies.
Really? Well that wasn't my right to say that, as I have only heard a few things about them. I just thought they were more shy towards people, but I don't know much about them. :p

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Really? Well that wasn't my right to say that, as I have only heard a few things about them. I just thought they were more shy towards people, but I don't know much about them. :p
Providing they have the time spent with them, like Budgies need and any animal really, they can make very good pets, they are quieter normally than Budgies as they mainly make noise dusk and dawn and even their voice is softer, like a radio on low, very musical when the **** bird sings, my **** bird is not as outgoing as the Hen but he tends to follow her around and she follows me around, mine are very nosey birds lol, especially where food is concerned :)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Aww.... imagine a pink tummy budgie, with white spangle wings... :loveeyes:
This interests me too. How can we get purple without the red gene? :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that's a perfect point to discuss, purple without a red gene? How is that possible? Or it's just what eye want to perceive?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm really confused when I read that there is no pink in budgies, when I was a kid I had a beautiful female that was blue, white and had pink on her stomach as well, like a mottled variety, but she also was very dilute colored (maybe a fallow or cinnamon too), is it possible that she had a violet gene and being dilute make her appear more pinkish? She was a nice parakeet and I just wish I had pics of her but I was probably 10 or so, that was about 14 years ago and I swear to you she had pink on her her entire life and had no mineral block or dyed foods. I'd be curious to investigate this more...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.