Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this si not technically a breeding question but I thought members in the breeding forum would probably be most experienced so ill post it here. Ive heard some people feed red factor canary seed to white base budgies and they develop a pink tinge. If combined with a balanced pellet and seed budgie diet, would there be any health risks to the budgie? And would the pink even show up noticeably if I did this? I dont know much about budgie genetics but i think my female is a true violet spangled opaline, would the pink show up on that? thanx

·
Registered
348 Posts
They are different species and cannot breed to produce offspring - someone is teasing you! :)

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
Well budgies dont have a true red factor gene, hence no pink , red or orange budgies. However with excessive dyes added to food and water a budgies feathers and skin color will change color. A few cases were posted here , where a man added dyes to the water and his budgies turned an orangy color. In my opinion tho , if budgies were suppose to be a certine color , God wanted it that way ;) but a funier way of getting them to turn color is adding a mineral block to the cage ( they come in all sorts of colors ) and watch your budgies face turn purple or what ever color it is ( its pretty cute ! )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh no, i didnt mean cross breeding budgies and canaries, just giving canary food to a bugie!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Stacey is right. There is no red factor in budgies. The colour feed they give canaries works on the red factor to enhance it, I doubt it would have very much effect if any on budgies and dont see the point. The easiest way would be to get a pink mineral perch and let the budgie get pink that way (as often happens :p)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm sorry- I should read more carefully!!! Thank goodness there are people on this board that do ( duh) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.