Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I THINK this is where this sort of topic would go. But Ezio has a very serious problem, she tries to regurgitate on my hand about 75% of the time. I don't touch anywhere besides her head, so it can't be arousal or anything.. But she went from just maybe like twice a week she'll try to on my finger to full out almost actually regurging on any part of my hand, I've seen it almost come out of her mouth a lot. I try to redirect her, such as saying "C'mere!" (step up command for us) and making her switch fingers for a while but she goes right back to trying again if we stop. I've tried some 'time outs' but she still attempts. I've tried to shift my finger a bit to make her stop, like moving my hand down or up a bit quickly to jolt her to stop, I say NO every time but she doesn't seem to get that she's doing something wrong.. I just need help here guys. I want to be able to spend some time with my baby bird without her trying to feed my hand :upset:

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
I'm sorry you are having problems with your Ezio. Is she successful in her regurgitations or does she only pretend to do the act?

When she is about to regurgitate, you can try to divert her attention with a toy, for example.
In order to wean her off this behaviour (especially if it's obsessive), you can try to wear a glove on your hand. The difference in texture and colour can stop Ezio from regurgitating further. During these training sessions on redirecting behaviour, it's best to not pet Ezio in any way.
You can use your voice or a tasty treat as a reward for positive behaviour.
With continued work, you may even in the long run remove the glove and she will be able to stand on your hand without obsessing over and regurgitating.

Best of luck with everything! :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Aluz, is it ok if the budgies try to regurgitate on the hand rarely, not all the time? B/c my budgie does this on a rare occasion as well, actually takes the seed out to my hands, but then eats it back, he does not do it as often as Ezio as Kay mentioned? He only regurgitates to my hands on a rare occasion, not to a toy. And he likes to play with my phone, so I show the phone to him and take my hands away when he does it. Ezio hopefully stops doing it, as her attention goes to a toy as Aluz suggested :)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Budgies will regurgitate to show affection and if your Cloud does this on rare occasions, then that's acceptable.
This is like with most things in life, moderation is the key.
The way we react to this form of affection should be with normality, we should not make a big fuss over this in order to not encourage the budgie to seek this regurgitation and expect a reward or positive feedback from us.

When the behaviour turns into an obsession and the budgie experiences changes both mentally and physically (due to excessive over-regurgitation), that's when there is cause for concern.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goodness. And yes, it is successful, but she eats it back up when I distract her. So toy distraction is what you guys recommend? I'll give that a shot, thank you guys so much! :biggrin1:

·
Member Spotlight Award March 2016
1,887 Posts
Greetings kay,I hope all goes well.good luck and keep us posted.we're here for you.Blessings always :green pied:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.