Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 year old budgie named Risto ( common peasant name in my country) nicknamed Ricky. I have him from when he was 2 months old and seeing as he wasn't hand raised I think I have done a good job taming him, but he still doesn't trust me completely ( he is scared when i try to take him in my hand, he only stands on me). I also a have a fully untamed female budgie which i intended to breed with Ricky but for some strange reason I couldn't ( i have experience with canaries). They seemed bonded and were constantly preening each other. Now, after 2 years they are starting to fight for food and similar stuff. Should I remove her from him, because he is quite lethargic and refuses to stay out of his cage, and if so, how to do it so he wouldn't get too depressed?

·
Administrator
55,292 Posts
Yes, I would remove him and put him into another cage.
It isn't good for his physical or emotional well-being to be bullied on a continual basis.

Set up the new cage, get him to stand on your hand.
Move him outside of the current cage and shut that cage door.
Slowly move him into the new cage and give him a treat.

You can sit the cages next to one another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I forgot to mention, they still call each other when he is out of the cage, and still preen occasionally, just much less than before. Can I try to breed them again?

·
Administrator
55,292 Posts
Absolutely not.

Before breeding any species, it is important to learn as much about the animals, their personalities and the best practices to follow for responsible and ethical breeding prior to making the commitment to take on the responsibility.
This requires extensive research and an openness to continual learning.

Your questions indicate you are not prepared to consider breeding at any time in the near future.

You should never breed a bird that has shown aggressive tendencies which means the female in question should NEVER be bred.

Risto is already 5 years old.
Any budgie that is 4 years old or more should never be bred.

As you already need to separate the two because the female is aggressive, just stop and think of how she could attack any male as well as the babies if she were ever bred. :eek:

I would strongly suggest you enjoy your budgies as pets and put any thoughts of breeding out of your mind.

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
Hello there,

FaeryBee has given great advice! It's important not to ever breed them again, you put them at serious risk if you do because of their age and temperament.

Please keep in mind the best interests of your birds and retire them to separate cages where they will be unable to breed ;) Both of their health will benefit as they are no longer stressed by one another nor bullied :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.