Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and nice to meet you all; I’m new to the forum and had a question about my budgie Kiki. We found him in May, in the parking lot of a plaza near our house being attacked by starlings, and managed to catch him. He was on quarantine away from our others birds for a month, and at the time we thought his missing wing and tail feathers were due to being ripped out; now however it has become obvious he is either ripping them out or that they are breaking due to brittleness. I thought it could be French moult, and was hoping for some input. I attached photos below, if more are needed just let me know. Thank you for your time

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Feathers - A Window into your Budgie's Health

Feather Picking, Plucking, Chewing, etc.

If you have not yet done so, I highly recommend you take your budgie (name?) in for an appointment with an Avian Vet.
There are multiple things that can cause problems with the budgie's feathers. High on that list is nutritional deficiencies.

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
184 Posts
You've been given excellent advice. While what you describe may very well be French molt, his recent stressful episode in the wild could explain it as well. An avian vet would be able to make the call after examining him. Is he flighted at all? He clearly was when he escaped.

Meanwhile, bless you for rescuing him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've been given excellent advice. While what you describe may very well be French molt, his recent stressful episode in the wild could explain it as well. An avian vet would be able to make the call after examining him. Is he flighted at all? He clearly was when he escaped.

Meanwhile, bless you for rescuing him.
He can flutter around a bit, but not much as he is missing most of his flight feathers. I will definitely look into booking an appointment with an avian vet, hopefully they can confirm it is just from being outside and not something worse.

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given great advice above and I agree completely.

I’m glad you rescued the little fellow and it’s good to hear you’ll be booking him in to the vet. Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So we found an avian pet and booked the appointment. It’s in a few days, so we should hopefully have some answers soon. Oh, and since he is stubborn about eating anything but seeds I read through some of the threads on the forum; There I heard you can mix pellets ground into a powder with seeds to help give them extra nutrition so I began doing that. I’ve tried introducing him to broccoli and lettuce but he doesn’t seem too interested, do you guys have any suggestions on other vegetables to try?

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Look at the list of vegetables in the link below:

Safe Foods for Budgies

It can take several weeks (or even months) for budgies to decide to try a new food.
Fruit is high in sugar content so vegetables are actually healthier for your budgies with fruits given only occasionally (once or twice a week)

You will find many different tips with regard to presenting vegetables and encouraging your budgies to try new foods in the Diet and Nutrition section of the forum.
The first vegetable which my budgies that had not been weaned to vegetables tried (and loved) was sweet corn kernels sprinkled with a teeny bit of garlic powder (NOT salt).

Budgies seem to love "spicy" tastes.
They also adored fresh basil, cilantro, dill, chickweed, zucchini and red pepper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So we went to the vet, he said he believed that Kiki is lacking protein and recommended to switch him on to pellets. I started giving him boiled egg mushed up with zoopreme pellets, and sprouted budgie mix/quinoa in the mornings; and then of course his regular mix in the afternoon/evenings. I don’t believe he has actually eaten much of it, but he did at the very least try it. On the bright side, after seeing my other budgie eating some lettuce Kiki began eating not only lettuce but dill as well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.