Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you atvchick and Rachael. Ok now I've got a YF I cobalt blue and a YF II skyblue. I am very pleased with that. Now to get a hen for the second one, but at the petshop here is only show budgies at the moment.:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why not take a show type Hen?....the babies will then be a mix of Cowboy/American-Show types....heard such birds are more active than the Show-type, whilst not such heavy breeders (large hatchling nest ~ <4 mostly) as the Cowboys/Americans...

This way U get best of both...also better to have pairs having a **** Cowboy + Show Hen, than the otherway round....sadly I've seen (at other breeders) Hens backs broken from too large **** birds paired up!?..that's why I'm cautious with mine...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not take a show type Hen?....the babies will then be a mix of Cowboy/American-Show types....heard such birds are more active than the Show-type, whilst not such heavy breeders (large hatchling nest ~ <4 mostly) as the Cowboys/Americans...

This way U get best of both...also better to have pairs having a **** Cowboy + Show Hen, than the otherway round....sadly I've seen (at other breeders) Hens backs broken from too large **** birds paired up!?..that's why I'm cautious with mine...

Enjoy!
Ok, Jaco! Then I'll go for a green? hen. A lot more expensive here. I looked at the mutation explanations this evening, but do'nt get it.:S

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Rix is YF1 normal cobalt and in order to get 50-100% green babies, the hen must be green.

The same is true for your YF2 opaline sky blue male (http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=71669).

Since English budgies are the exact same species as Australian/American budgies, you can breed them.

Jaco, I think it's funny you call the latter "Cowboy" budgies! :D

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rix is YF1 normal cobalt and in order to get 50-100% green babies, the hen must be green.

The same is true for your YF2 opaline sky blue male (http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=71669).

Since English budgies are the exact same species as Australian/American budgies, you can breed them.

Susan, thank you for helping me again!!! I'll read it again till I can figure it out. :D

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Susan, thank you for helping me again!!! I'll read it again till I can figure it out. :D
Green "G" is dominant to blue "b." You can see a dominant gene, i.e., it's visual, unless it's masked by another mutation.

Each parent has two genes. A green hen not split to blue is GG. A blue **** bird is bb. GG x bb will produce 100% Gb babies (Green split to blue), as follows:

......G......G...
b....Gb....Gb...
b....Gb....Gb...

A green hen split to blue is Gb. A blue **** bird is bb. Gb x bb will produce 50% Gb babies (Green split to blue) and 50% bb babies (blue), as follows:

......G......b...
b....Gb....bb...
b....Gb....bb...

Make sense?

·
Registered
281 Posts

Yes Susan, i think so too....
...we here in South Africa is not just a "Rainbow nation" (refer many colours in our country flag)...but I think our people are funny and like to smile often as well!

The "cowboy" description I took on from others in the hobby, but it's quite accurate sometimes....as..

...these parakeets are quite clever & naughty ....sometimes I think (me not being a conspiracy theorist though) .."they plan together"....

...I wish I could take a picture once, but I caught the little rascals in an "escape from Alcatraz" attempt....when I first put 1 of there sisters / brothers in the small breeding cages (****ed inside the open flight)....

...they (more than 1 at a time) were trying all day to open the "sliding-type" cage doors....until THEY SUCCEEDED !....

...when I arrived home the hen got out...no human entry!...

Yes, and these birdies do argue / fight for no reason..."no quarrels", just "shoot from the hip"!... &#8230;.so Yes, maybe they're a bit like "Cowboys" from the "olden Wild-West"&#8230;jdk
(Ur last answer was well put and clear I'm sure)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Susan, I do understand your explanation, but I think I first have to get my colours of the budgies correct. Like I thought I'd bought a green budgie and then you told me, no it is a YF 11 sky blue opaline. Ok, now I have a light sky blue hen (Dad a Sky blue and Mom an Albino) the other's babies were pieds and sky blue.
I want to pair them.

Rix the YF I cobalt blue - I bought Woozy, (I think a grey green "cowgirl"today (no other green hen at the petshop) I'll post her when I can get better photo's. Now I try to figure out what the babies will be!

I am very jealous of Jaco's budgies, just because they are so beautiful!!! But one of these year's I try to breed my own colourful budgies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.