Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please post pictures of RP Opalines? I have difficulties to identify them.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Here are a few, I know Nev has some good ones :)

Df violet opaline recessive pied

Sky blue opaline recessive pied

A non opaline recessive pied for comparison-

Light green opaline recessive pied

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you - I knew you would be ready with some pics.
I have to say that I thought the first bird is Dom pied! Can't see why it is a RP!
Thanks for the comparison picture. Correct me if I have it wrong, but as I see it an Opaline RP's back is more "clear" (Sorry I can't put it in a better way - hope you understand what Ikm trying to saym) than a normal RP. Also less bar stripes on the head??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you - I knew you would be ready with some pics.
I have to say that I thought the first bird is Dom pied! Can't see why it is a RP!
Thanks for the comparison picture. Correct me if I have it wrong, but as I see it an Opaline RP's back is more "clear" (Sorry I can't put it in a better way - hope you understand what Ikm trying to saym) than a normal RP. Also less bar stripes on the head??
Dries, I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the back is "clear" but maybe Lindsey will be able to help with a comment on that. :)
What I CAN offer is that opaline is a striping pattern mutation where the black and white stripes are reversed. The budgie will appear to have more white on its head than a budgie with a normal striping pattern. This is true whether the mutation is present in a normal budgie, a recessive pied, an ino, or anything else. Sometimes it's harder to see (and thus identify) in recessive pieds because they often have so few markings, but it's still a reference to the striping pattern.

I don't know if I helped or told you what you already knew... But I hope I helped. If I didn't help, I'm sure Lindsey or Nev or someone else will be along shortly to take over!!!

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Dries, I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the back is "clear" but maybe Lindsey will be able to help with a comment on that. :)
What I CAN offer is that opaline is a striping pattern mutation where the black and white stripes are reversed. The budgie will appear to have more white on its head than a budgie with a normal striping pattern. This is true whether the mutation is present in a normal budgie, a recessive pied, an ino, or anything else. Sometimes it's harder to see (and thus identify) in recessive pieds because they often have so few markings, but it's still a reference to the striping pattern.

I don't know if I helped or told you what you already knew... But I hope I helped. If I didn't help, I'm sure Lindsey or Nev or someone else will be along shortly to take over!!!
Good post!:thumbsup:
You helped me:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lexi, I'm glad I was able to help. :)
In reading my post, I realized that I didn't mention a couple of things....

First, I said that the striping pattern will be present in an ino...
What I should have said is that the genetics for the striping pattern is there but is being masked by the ino gene, like everything else. I can just see one of my kids reading my post, then going and looking at one of my ino's trying to find the opaline stripes!!

Second, In addition to the striping pattern, you'll find that the body feather color starts up in their neck stripes and can extend completely throughout their wing stripes.

This is one of my most lovely Cobalt SF Violet Opaline chicks. This shows how the color starts up high in the neck and can extend out through the wing. Unfortunately one of my colleagues accidentally sold the bird. Fortunately, the pair just hatched another clutch and I believe they gave me another one just like her!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Vicki. I know that opaline is a strippoing pattern and I have no difficultoies identifying it on a normal bird, but on a RP I can' t see it. I also know that the opaline brightens the body colour of a bird and you can see the body colour on the wings as well. The pics of Lindsey's RP's there's no - or less - marking on the back than her normal RP. I still won't be able to see if a RP is an Opaline as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, rats. I'm sorry I couldn't help at all.. I was afraid I was telling you something you already knew! I guess with RPs, I just look for the clues wherever I can find them, whether it's the subtle differences in the striping pattern in the cheeks and head or the prominent body color in the wings. Either that or I just know what it is from the birds genetics.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon and be able to give better help - and I'll be anxious to see what they say. These are the people I'M learning from!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi cutelilbirdies,
The first and second photo of double factor violet-cobalt recessive pied budgie, is a cobalt recessive pied, not a DF violet-cobalt recessive pied...the bird have blue, not purple body.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi cutelilbirdies,
The first and second photo of double factor violet-cobalt recessive pied budgie, is a cobalt recessive pied, not a DF violet-cobalt recessive pied...the bird have blue, not purple body.
Hi, Clinton.
I see that you are a new member. Welcome.
To an untrained eye it might look like a cobalt, but we know that violet doesn't show very good on a photo. Furthermore, Lindsey (Cutelilbirdies) is one of the most knowledgable person on TB. If she says it is a DF Violet I believe her. She has an unbelieveable knowledge about anything that has to do with budgies. Please do yourselve a favour and read all her stickies.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, rats. I'm sorry I couldn't help at all.. I was afraid I was telling you something you already knew! I guess with RPs, I just look for the clues wherever I can find them, whether it's the subtle differences in the striping pattern in the cheeks and head or the prominent body color in the wings. Either that or I just know what it is from the birds genetics.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon and be able to give better help - and I'll be anxious to see what they say. These are the people I'M learning from!
Your post did help - for me and Lexi. Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No worries Clinton. :)
We know that everyone's computer monitor is calibrated different, and to make it worse, it's terribly difficult to get a violet to show up well in a picture!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is my latest RP. If I understand all the pics and info correctly this is also an Opaline. Do you agree with this?
RP%20OPaline.jpg

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you going to change your mind is I say that this a baby? Just out of the nest box.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.