Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shadow Mist

Shadow Mist is a Blue Merle Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie)

Shadow came from "Majestic Shelties" who breeds only for show.

That means the breeder is breeding strictly for herself by matching the best of the breed in the parents to try to produce a puppy that will be eligible to show.
The parents both have to be tested with to ensure they don't have breed specific health issues that might carry genetically to the offspring.
If a puppy is oversize, under size or has medical issues or physical traits that are considered to be "faults" when showing dogs, then those puppies are sold as pets.
The puppies are measured each week to see if they are staying within "standard" and other traits such as their gait, stance, fur, tail, etc. are all evaluated as well.
It turned out that this little male is "probably" going to be just about 1/4 inch too tall to show.

The breeder contacted me on Sunday, 9/17 when she decided to make him available for adoption as a pet.

I worked out the logistics and drove up to Cleveland OH on Tuesday, 9/21 to meet him.
I stayed overnight, picked him up the next morning and made the 7 hour one-way drive back home!

Birthdate: February 22, 2017

Shadow arrived home to become part of the renowned "FaeryBee Flock" Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Shadow is a very sweet tempered, calm and loving little boy and I'm completely head over heels in love with him!

Shadow Mist will be joined by another little sheltie (from a different breeder) on October 14th and will become the official "big brother" at that time.

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Deb,

He's a gorgeous little boy! I love his noble visage :love:

I can tell he's going to be a wonderful member of the flock! Please don't hesitate to post as many photos of him as you'd like ;) We'd all appreciate it! :laughing2:

Congratulations!

·
Exceptional Service Award August 2017
1,096 Posts
Beautiful colouring!

He looks so calm and at ease there; lovely addition. :001_wub:

·
Registered
658 Posts
He is gorgeous, congratulations! I absolutely adore Shelties and want to own one myself someday! He looks like he's going to be very loved and will have a happy life with you and your flock :)

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone! :grouphug:

I must admit that if I didn't feel very strongly about Shadow having a sheltie playmate, I'd be extremely happy having him as a solo pup.

However, having had a solo sheltie in the past I saw how strongly Misty Blue bonded to me and the separation anxiety she went through whenever I wasn't around.
Those issues led me to get two shelties the next time.

Autumn and Kylie were wonderful together and it was so much fun watching them run and play together! (I can't run as well as I used to when I was younger. ;) LOL)

I'm very interested to see if Shadow will indeed be a good influence on Rory when Rory arrives since he'll be a wee boy of only 8 weeks when he comes home.

It's also going to be fun having a blue merle and a sable as having both at the same time will be a first for me! :blush:

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
What a handsome boy he is, looks like he has settled right in. When Rory comes, Shadow will be able to show him around the house and let him know what the rules are, maybe that will make it easier on you.:giggle:

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Shadow Mist

:hug::hug::hug:What a handsome youngster. The markings are a unique characteristic. He seems to have passed through the adjustments of early puppy training with ease, even though still very young. Congrats to you and Ted.
Love and Blessings From our family to yours. :music:

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shadow got to run and play off-leash with his friend "Finnegan" (a little bishon mix) out on the hill near the golf course this evening.
They had a wonderful time chasing and tumbling with one another.

Now, little Shadow is plumb worn out! He's having a nap before bedtime with his hedgehog toy whose name is "Hoggie". :)

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Aww, Shadow is such a sweet boy! He looks like he's having a very well deserved nap after his romp with Finnegan :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
I love the picture of him with his toy. So nice to have someone/something to snuggle with.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
Shadow is beautiful.
Having an older dog is so nice and hopefully, it will make Rory's transition easier. :)

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Introducing Ruaidhrí Faolán (Rory)

Introducing Ruaidhrí Faolán (Rory)

Rory was born August 16, 2017
He joined the FaeryBee Family Household October 14th.

Shadow greeting his new baby "brother"

Shadow is 7.5 months old and Rory is 8 weeks old

Ruaidhrí means "Red King"
Faolán means "Little Wolf"
Rory is the Little Red Wolf King

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Oohh Rory is SO adorable Deborah!! :love:

He is so small, and he's super fuzzy and soft looking :D. I love these pics! Rory looks so well mannered.. Shadow had no idea he was going to be a big brother! Looks like he'll do a fine job :).

Congratulations on the FaeryBee Flock's +2 :jumping: and the newest little member!

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Goodness gracious! Rory is such a beautiful precious boy!!! :love: :wow:

I'm so glad he's settling in well, and it looks like Shadow is going to be an excellent big brother :D

I can't wait to see more of both of them :)

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
Oh My, Rory is precious and Shadow is like '*I* have to be big brother?!'

I bet they will have so much fun growing up together. They're absolutely precious.

·
Exceptional Service Award August 2017
1,096 Posts
They’re both absolutely gorgeous Deborah, and they’re going to have so much fun together when Rory is just that little bit older. :love: Is that a miniature hedgehog in Rory’s crate too?
I’m sure the breeder will be delighted to see those photos, did Shadow join you when collecting Rory or did you return home with a little surprise furball?

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oohh Rory is SO adorable Deborah!! :love:

He is so small, and he's super fuzzy and soft looking :D. I love these pics! Rory looks so well mannered.. Shadow had no idea he was going to be a big brother! Looks like he'll do a fine job :).

Congratulations on the FaeryBee Flock's +2 :jumping: and the newest little member!
Thank you, Julie!
Rory is very tiny - right now he weighs only 5 lbs 3 oz. (Shadow weighs in at a hefty 21.8 lbs.)
Rory is very fragile but a little spitfire!
I'll post some picture of him "wrestling" with Shadow later tonight. :giggle:

Goodness gracious! Rory is such a beautiful precious boy!!! :love: :wow:

I'm so glad he's settling in well, and it looks like Shadow is going to be an excellent big brother :D

I can't wait to see more of both of them :)
Thanks, Star
I can tell you the two of them are keeping me hopping! I just can't believe Rory will be almost as big as Shadow in just a few months time. :eek:hmy:

They're both absolutely gorgeous Deborah, and they're going to have so much fun together when Rory is just that little bit older. :love: Is that a miniature hedgehog in Rory's crate too?
I'm sure the breeder will be delighted to see those photos, did Shadow join you when collecting Rory or did you return home with a little surprise furball?
Julia,
I tried to explain to Shadow for a couple of weeks that he was going to get a new baby brother, but I'm not sure he believed me!
We elected to have Shadow stay at home when we went to pick up Rory.
I thought it would be too much stress for the little guy to have to experience his first long distance (2+ hours) car ride with another dog.
Shadow alternates between being very protective/gentle with Rory and thinking Rory is big enough to pounce on! :oops:
It's kind of like having a toddler around a newborn baby.
Yes, that is a minature hedgehog in Rory's cage. :laughing:

Both Shadow and Rory have appropriately sized hedgehogs and each have a toy sheep that looks like the Sherri Lewis puppet "Lambchop". Shadow has big Lambchop and Rory has mini Lambchop.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts