Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
so I just read that male budgies are XX and females are XY!
random as....
I'm studying Human genetics at university this year and so i understand genetics well. well... not as well as i thought....
just wondering if anyone knows enough about budgie genetics that they could almost teach me about it??
Mainly the sex chromosomes would be cool :) thanks heaps!!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Actually birds are ZZ (Male) and ZW (Female). But for simplicities sake we usually refer to them in the mammalian terms XX and XY.

As with any species, budgies have dominant and recessive genes (or mutations as they are referred to when speaking about genetic alterations that in single or double form produce a phenotypical change). They also have mutations that are carried solely on the sex chromosomes, specifically the X chromosome as the Y chromosome seems either non-functional or perhaps non-functional in the sense of carrying phenotypically altering genetic mutations.

Some basic (but not exhaustive) examples of sex linked genes in budgies includes the common ones such as opaline, cinnamon and ino (both lutino and albino are the same gene acting on a white based bird <albino> or a yellow based bird <lutino>).

Because the sex linked gene is carried on the X chromosome, it is more common to see sex linked mutations in female budgies because of the fact they only have (and therefore need) one X chromosome in order to display that particular mutation whereas males would require the mutated X chromosome from both the father AND the mother in order to physically display the mutation (as opposed to being merely a carrier of it, which is termed 'being split for' a certain mutation).

Hope that goes some way toward helping...

Edit: Yes humans are the opposite - males are XY and females are XX :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply!! and all the great info.
Just wondering if you know much about what genes are on the z and w chormosomes....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the tron (hamilton). Pretty close to some of NZ's top show breeders, handy that ;)
Ha didn't even know we had show breeders lols!

Hamilton a :p nice.

I'm originally from hawkes bay :p
but i now live in palmerston north! at uni :p

So you breed?? Awesome. I wanna breed my pair - if they bond. My hens still in quarantine atm! And i know that a single pair is hard to breed. but meh. if it happens it happens. if not then meh :p

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ha didn't even know we had show breeders lols!

Hamilton a :p nice.

I'm originally from hawkes bay :p
but i now live in palmerston north! at uni :p

So you breed?? Awesome. I wanna breed my pair - if they bond. My hens still in quarantine atm! And i know that a single pair is hard to breed. but meh. if it happens it happens. if not then meh :p
Oh I breed alright lol. My breeding friends have 200-300 budgies each usually. Sometimes up around 400-450 after a breeding season (before making culls and selling excess). I initially started breeding for colour, and even now I still favour the violets and am slowly building up numbers (violets are so hard to come by, let alone quality ones). Im trying to sell most of my stock to focus on show birds now but its a bad time of year to be selling budgies so we'll see how that goes. Not in any rush...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
just saying hi from another kiwi...:D i am in tauranga, went to uni at palmie - studied zoology. how is the weather??? has winter arrived yet!

i get over to hamilton occasionally, maybe i could visit you dean?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I breed alright lol. My breeding friends have 200-300 budgies each usually. Sometimes up around 400-450 after a breeding season (before making culls and selling excess). I initially started breeding for colour, and even now I still favour the violets and am slowly building up numbers (violets are so hard to come by, let alone quality ones). Im trying to sell most of my stock to focus on show birds now but its a bad time of year to be selling budgies so we'll see how that goes. Not in any rush...
wow!! thats alot of birds!!!
You must have a huge aviary!
do you tame any?? or just breed them and let them be??
exciting.
violets a. yea they're cool. I quite like the greys myself :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I only have around 50 myself at the moment. I have one big flight, whereas my friends have about 6 or so lol. I might be expanding soon even though im hoping to sell off around half my current flock. Really depends on how much free time I can find as Im very busy with school and assignments right now :(

I do hand tame some babies specifically for sale as there is a market for well trained babies :) Plus its a great little project to do if i have time. Always fun to play with the babies :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only have around 50 myself at the moment. I have one big flight, whereas my friends have about 6 or so lol. I might be expanding soon even though im hoping to sell off around half my current flock. Really depends on how much free time I can find as Im very busy with school and assignments right now :(

I do hand tame some babies specifically for sale as there is a market for well trained babies :) Plus its a great little project to do if i have time. Always fun to play with the babies :p
oh ok. wow still fifty is alot!!!
i have two and that takes up enough time as it is!!
yea they are fun to tame!! both mine are tame :p
school and assignments? at waikato uni?
what ya studying??

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Im at wintec in my final year of a nursing degree. I will most likely be working in mental health once I graduate. Funnily enough it takes less time to look after 50 than it does to look after 2 lol. When I am taming or have a budgie inside I spend heeeaps of time with it. The aviary birds can look after themselves and I just make sure they have a clean environment, soft food, adequate seed and fresh veges. The breeding pairs require a little bit more effort but even then I usually only spend one to two hours a day looking after them when you add it all up.

Kiwis are always welcome to pop in and check things out :) Good luck catching me home though lol. Fingers crossed holidays come fast!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool nursing :) i'm doing secondary teaching!
yea i guess it wouldn't take up much time a....
never thought much about it!
good luck with your studies!
(I'm currently on holidays!!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.