Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found a budgie in our yard about a month ago now. Still no luck finding the owner and wasn’t able to get any rescue groups in the area to take him in, so we got a cage and set him up with some toys and activities.
He seems horribly depressed though, we’ve had maybe one contact interaction that was really positive, but other than that he is fairly shy and nervous. I spend time in the same room as the cage and will sing and talk to him. Will linger with my hands in/near the cage and sing when I go into the cage to clean/ put food and games.
Sometimes he will chirp back at me but mostly he is quiet. He seems to enjoy flying about the house, and sitting and singing at the windows, but i have a hard time getting him to go back in the cage so I don’t like to let him out much.
Seems in good health, good poops, eating well, good beak.

All day he sits and doesn’t do much at all though.

Apprehensive to get a companion given that this bird is not originally mine.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Are you planning to keep this budgie?
If so, have you had him checked by an Avian Vet?

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

It sounds as though this budgie would benefit from having a same species friend.
However, you would need to be ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis IF the two do not get along after the quarantine period and after being introduced in neutral territory.

If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

When you are ready to introduce your two budgies after the 45 day quarantine period, put the two cages near one another for several days.
After that, please be sure to introduce the budgies in neutral territory.
Sometimes having two or three supervised meetings prior to moving them into one cage is advisable.
Before introducing a budgie into another budgie's cage, the cage should be completely rearranged (perches, toys, food and water dishes) in order to help prevent any potential territorial issues. :)

Introducing Two Budgies

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,583 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!
I agree with FaeryBee, she’s given you excellent advice! It’s always best to rule out any physical causes of his lethargy, especially since he was rescued from outside!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Keep us posted on how he’s doing after a vet visit!
Cheers! 👋

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.