Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I recently read that rope perches are dangerous for budgies. I'm curious about the dangers associated with keeping rope toys and perches. What's the risk, and how big of a risk is it? Does a budgie have to purposefully ingest the fibers, or can they swallow it by mistake? I have a toy that is two coconut halves connected by rope, and a wooden ladder/swing that is also connected by rope. They love these two things, and I would hate to take them out, but if it's dangerous for my little ones then I would remove it immediately.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
The problem is if they ingest the fibers they may get lodged in the crop and get impacted and as a result you may end up with a problem. I have some rope perches and I just watch to make sure none of my birds are chewing on them. I do however have one bird that will pick at them so his cage does not have any rope perches. Also if you have any toys that have tassels at the end of them it is best to cut them off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Cody! Yeah, my Pillow is a big chewer. :( Would it be best to just make sure she's not actually swallowing the threads, and inspect them often for any loops or dangerous bits, or should I take the toys out? She loves the rope very much but I don't want to risk her health or safety.

·
Super Moderator
19,320 Posts
Hi DreamMist,

Cody has given good advice.

Additionally, here's a link about it for more information: https://www.talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/288546-dangers-rope-perches-tasseled-toys.html

Also, you may want to find them a different toy than a coconut half! Bowl-shaped things or enclosed spaces can often trigger budgies to go into breeding condition and therefore become more aggressive or hormonal. If you have a female budgie, she may get into the egg laying mood, which is dangerous without cause as it depletes her body's calcium and could lead to egg binding :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.