Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmmmm....Sam's tail feathers are a different shade to his normal body feathers. His normal body feathers are yellow, BUT two of his tail feathers are browny-yellow. I've also realised that some of his feathers on his wings are different shades of yellow too. Like, most of his feather is yellow, BUT, the tips are a darker shade.

I'm slightly confused....what does this mean? :S

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi "Sam The Budgie",

Have you got pictures of what you've described...and are the "darker, brown, colouration" only on the edges of the tail feathers....?

If it's brown markings it could be signs of cinnamon ...while, if such "dark markings" are on the edge of feathers, it could indicate "spangle"....but for the latter gene it would have been more evident from such (similar) markings on wings...but lets wait for your photo...

...I'm sure the TB experts will have the answer for you quick-quick!

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
It looks as if you have a clearflight or greywing because the feathers seem grey in colour instead of brown. I will leave it down to the experts though ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm....interesting. At first I thought he was a lutino. Her eyes are like a REAAALLLY REAAALLLY REALLLLY dark reddishy colour, possibly black...but she is nearly one year old, so possibly it her eye shade is getting lighter.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It looks like cinnamon showing through

If the eyes are dark red your bird is probably a very lightly marked lacewing

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got her in December 2010, so roughly a year. Hmm...this is interesting. Her eyes ARE a deep red.

So, if she IS a lightly-marked lacewing, will she grow more greyish-yellow feathers? When we first got her, she was all yellow-no traces of grey. Is this signs of her maturing; i.e, the colour changes?

Thanks for all your help :p

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
What colour have the tail feathers moulted into now?

Also does she have any mask on her face? Like normal budgies have the black throat spots.

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
It looks like cinnamon showing through

If the eyes are dark red your bird is probably a very lightly marked lacewing
I was thinking the same thing about about the cinnamon, that's what it looks like on the wings. :) I agree with the lacewing too, although I wouldn't have though of that, I'm a beginner. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her cheek patches used to be white, but now more are appearing with a greyish colour, like the ones on her tail. She's turning into a greyish-yellowish bird. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.