Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I noticed my budgie bluebell's beak had some crusty stuff formed on it and I'm still unsure if it's scaly mites or something else. He's acting normal and is behaving like his usual self. Also I read that sometimes budgies molt their beaks and he's been having an extremely long molt he shed his flight feathers and couldn't fly for a few days then grew them back and now he's perfectly back to normal and can fly. But I'm still worried by the crusty stuff on his beak. Is that the scaly mites or just happening because he's molting? And the treatment is the ivermectin right? What's the procedure using the medicine on him? Thankyou so much for the help this website is a life safer!
Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Organism

Water Mesh Iris Eyelash Beak

Bird Beak Parrot Creative arts Stuffed toy

Bird Beak Organism Owl Snowy owl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So he does have scaly mites then? I don't exactly have the ivermectin right now but I can get it from the nearest pet store. And 3 other birds live in the same cage as him. What do you suggest I do and how do I use the ivermectin. Do I use it on all my birds or just him. The others don't really have symptoms

·
Administrator
59,151 Posts
Yes, Bluebell is exhibiting scaly mites on her cere and beak. You can already see the start of a hole in the beak up near her cere (on HER right side) where the mites have burrowed into it.

First of all, when you use ivermectin on your budgies, you MUST ensure it is the proper dosage. You need a 0.1% solution,
All four budgies will need to be treated.

Ivermection is a "spot-on" treatment. The medication is carefully metered for use with small birds and only one drop is applied to the budgie's skin.
This is done on the back of the neck (between the feathers on the skin) where the bird can not preen the medication off.
As long as the dosage is correct then using it will be safe.
If one budgie has mites then all the birds need to be treated.

The cage, perches, toys, food and water dishes all need to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
You can use F10 Veterinary Disinfection or hot water with pure white vinegar for disinfecting purposes.
If you have rope type perches, those need to be disposed of as the mites can burrow down in the fibers and re-infect the budgies.

Post updated pictures of Bluebell 2 weeks after you've used the ivermectin on your birds.
We can tell at that time if a second dosage will be required to ensure all the mites have been eliminated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou so much! I will buy the proper ivermectin dosage spot on treatment and will do all the necessary stuff to eradicate the mites from my birds. Also I have a question, do I just hold him and pour a drop on the back of his neck and leave it be OR rub it with my hand so the drop spreads through his entire skin. And should I move his neck feathers to put the spot on drop or put it without moving his neck feathers. Another question is do I use it on them once every week for 2 weeks? Or just 1 week and wait for the results and see if a second dosage is needed? Would one dose for just 1 week suffice? Sorry for the dumb questions I just really want to do this right and cure my birds of mites

·
Administrator
59,151 Posts
You apply One Drop to the skin between the feathers. Do not rub the medication in.

Do NOT reappply again until we’ve see updated pictures after two weeks time.
If the instructions on the product you buy are different, please advise here before using.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.