Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: My budgie may or may not have mites. Her cere looked uncharacteristically dark and crusty and she had some scaly whitish/reddish crumb like stuff just below the cere on her beak/ The vet said it could either be a vitamin A deficiency resulting in poor quality of the beak or scalyface mites. I gave her some ivermectin and within a day her beak looked a ton better.

My questions:

1. How could she have got scalyface mites? She's been with us for almost 5 months now and before that she lived with an acquaintance for about 1.5 years. In all that time she never came in contact with any other birds. About 2-3 weeks ago we got another budgie but she's still in quarantine in a different room though I wonder if any mites could have travelled on me (clothes, hair, etc.) from the quarantined budgie to my older budgie. The younger budgie seems perfectly fine though. The vet gave her a dose of ivermectin as well as a pre-caution though.

2. How do I get rid of them? I've bought some F10sc disinfecting solution and wipes. Do disinfectants get rid of mites as well? Can I wipe the cage bars using the wipes and spray diluted F10Sc in the cage WHILE SHE IS IN THE CAGE?

3. Could the mites get into the carpet in her room? If yes, is vacuum cleaning or spraying the room/carpet with F10SC enough to get rid of them?

4. How often do I need to clean? I usually change the lining at the bottom of her cage every evening and then clean everything inside her cage thoroughly once a week. With mites should I clean/spray every day? For how long (how many days/weeks) will I have to do that?

5. How would I know that the cage and the area around her is completely free from mites and/or mite eggs?

6. Do I need to extend the quarantine period (beyond 6 weeks) for our younger budgie? I've read that mites can lie dormant for 6-12 months. We are supposed to give both budgies another shot of ivermectin in 2 weeks.

7. Is there anything else I can do to make to get rid of mites (if we have them.. :rolleyes:)?

8. Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!! :budgie::)

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
It is good that both birds have been treated, you will need to thoroughly clean the perches and the bars of the cage as the eggs can be on them.
Mites can become very bad if left they can be seen on the legs, around the vent, and eyes as well as the cere and beak . The Ivemectin will kill the mites on her, any eggs that hatch though will need treatment that is why the second dose is given.

Don't spray and clean whilst she is in the cage, sprays are not good for budgies , your quarantine should be fine my birds caught mites they just appear!!!
As an emergency procedure you can use Vaseline and cover the cere, legs , but be careful to not get it in the nares!!( Nostrils )

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
- thanks but are you sure about the f10sc. It was recommended even here, on talk budgies.

She isn't tame and doesn't like me touching her so I doubt she will let me put Vaseline on her. Is there a similar substance that I could maybe put in her bath that will kill the mites but isn't harmful to her?

Poor thing, she keeps rubbing her face against the bars of her swing. I used to think she does that because she loves her swing so much but maybe she is just itchy..:(

Another PIC from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
From the first picture your lovely budgie doesn't look like she has mites to me but her cere is very dry, you can get some olive oil and rub it on her cere and her legs are legs dry as well? What is the humidity like where she is kept?
The second picture was too blurry to see sorry. The disinfectant is good to use also simple vinegar is a great cleaning tool as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cathy. Do you have any advice on how to apply the olive oil to her feet or cere? Hm, I wonder if I could just rub it into my palms and then make her walk onto my palm using millet. Is it safe for them to ingest? And how do you apply it to the cere without getting it into her nostrils?

It's possibly quite dry with the central heating on now.

She is rather lovely, isn't she? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
There is also a product called Scatt that can be purchased thru Lady Gouldian Finch website.

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Thanks Cathy. Do you have any advice on how to apply the olive oil to her feet or cere? Hm, I wonder if I could just rub it into my palms and then make her walk onto my palm using millet. Is it safe for them to ingest? And how do you apply it to the cere without getting it into her nostrils?

It's possibly quite dry with the central heating on now.

She is rather lovely, isn't she? :eek: :eek:
That is a great idea to have walk through some to get to the millet, Use a cotton bud or Q tip as some call them. gently rub it along her leg, and cere. Only a drop is fine .

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
Try running a humidifier in the room she is in also. It is extremely dry in my appartment. Hubby and I were both having dry skin problems as well as so many shocks from static. I started running my humidifier and my dry hands look sooo much better. No more shocks for unsuspecting birdies trying to step up. I was worried about the birds getting dry skin problems without the extra moisture too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.