Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

5 days ago i set Nada and Miki with a new box, and they already got comfortable with it. Entering and staying inside for some time. The soft concave insert for the floor is already chewed and scratched by Nada which is a good sign, she has always been a bit destructive towards the breeding box before laying eggs. She enters the box alone and after some time Miki joins her in. Even though images are not top quality, I attached few photos showing each step. Last year the box was 29x15x15cm, this year it is a bit smaller measuring 23cm long x 15cm tall x 14cm wide. I wonder if the box dimensions will affect the number of laid eggs. In the previous yeas i always had bigger boxes and clutch size of around 7-8 laid eggs, lets see if the clutch size will change.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
going from personal experience, the bigger the space the better. If the hen does not feel comfortable, she will produce less eggs. This is also an issue when the chicks hatch, because if there is not enough space the parents may not look after them properly due to stresses of over crowding in a confined space. good luck with the bigger box though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
going from personal experience, the bigger the space the better. If the hen does not feel comfortable, she will produce less eggs. This is also an issue when the chicks hatch, because if there is not enough space the parents may not look after them properly due to stresses of over crowding in a confined space. good luck with the bigger box though.
Thanks for the warning, i know a very small box can be an issue, but in this case it is still withing the recommended dimensions. Many breeders here breed budgies in even smaller boxes such as 20x13x13 but those are pet type budgies with smaller bodies. What i found online is at least 20x15x15 so i don't need to worry about giving them the minimum space. From my previous years of breeding i never noticed them filling up even a half of the box, always sitting in the corner that is most far from the entrance hole crowded one over another, leaving 2/3 of the box empty and intact.Any way if i notice something is not good i will try to find a bigger box. Maybe if you breed standard show type ones it would be good to go with a bit bigger box but since my male is pet type and female show type i don't expect them to grow too big. For now lets just wait and see how the things will develop. I hope for the first egg before the 20th of November if my maths are correct :S . We shall see :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And it happened again :( Nada died without showing any sign of sickness. Saturday night was all fine and yesterday morning i found her dead on the cage floor, Miki chirping over her dead carcass. I didn't have chance to take her to the vet and examine if she was egg-bound since it was Sunday, but if she was egg-bound would she be happy the previous 12 hours without showing signs of being stressed and in pain or exhausted? For now i am giving up from breeding show type budgies in any combination. Never had similar accidents with the pet type ones. Can the more experienced breeders name the most common reasons of death in show type female budgies who don't show signs of sickness?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm so sorry for your lost, I know how you feel as I've been through this two times before and it really hurts to loose them that way, may she RIP :( .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.