Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fully converted both my goobers to pellets. The only issue is, I don't know how much they're supposed to be eating. With seeds, I generally got an idea of how much they ate in a day, and could keep an eye on their food bowls to see how they were doing. With pellets, I overfill, but worry that even though I see them eating a lot, they aren't getting what they need. They seem to be constantly eating.

Previously on a seed diet, they would eat in a short bursts, and spend most of their day playing, sleeping, and sunbathing. Now with the pellet diet, it's like they're barely doing anything except eating. Instead of spending 40% of the day playing, 40% napping and 20% eating, it's more like 60% eating, 20% playing and 20% napping. Is this to be expected after a switch from the high fat diet? Can someone chime in with their own experience of how much / how often their budgies eat pellets?

I don't know if it's just them getting used to the healthier diet that doesn't contain as much fat, or if they're being starved and unable to get enough energy from the pellets, despite eating so much. I have a feeling that it may just be their bodies getting used to the lack of fat, so they gorge on pellets to try and get back to the fat levels they're used to. Will they eventually level out and get used to the lower fat intake and eat in short bursts again, or do pellets usually require such a big time commitment when it comes to eating.

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
The amount of pellets per budgie per day would be 1 1/2 to 2 level Tablespoons. More than that is too much.

I don't have my birds on a fully pelleted diet so I can't tell you how much time to expect them to be eating.

If you are giving your budgies only pellets and no seed, then I recommend you start sprouting seed to give them as part of their diet.

At least 20% of their daily food intake should be fresh sprouts and vegetables.
Fruit should only be given very sparingly as a treat due to the high sugar content.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I coincidentally put two level tablespoons into each of their bowls. I'll start sprouting seeds too, but the climate here is so warm that the water ends up smelling awful and the seeds rot. The instructions on the packet said to put the seeds in a bowl of water and leave at room temperature for 24 hours, then rinse and drain and leave open to the air for 8 hours, then repeat until they sprout. This didn't work the two times I tried it. I also feed them veggie chop but I've been slacking lately, I'll get them back on it.

Any useful info you have on sprouting seeds at home would be fab.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts