Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
:budgie: .. OK...,, So I have been looking at buying my first budgie.. but I have a problem,. I travel 2-3 times a year for 2-4 days. I just moved so i would have no one to watch my bird, I know they are very social and im not condoning leaving them alone for long periods of time.,. But i would like the ability to travel, knowing the bird will be safe. So the main problems to traveling seem to be CLEAN WATER and FRESH FOOD .....

So... Very simple... I want to build a automated water system that maintains a said level of water and also cleans the dish however many times a day u program it,.. I also would build a system that you would pre-load fresh food into trays, the system would be refrigerated, and would feed the bird daily... the systems would be very non-invasive, and small in size.. the system would have less impact on the birds enviroment the a person would.. also this would be quite simple to build, (im not hoping i can build this, i have the factual knowlage to get this done easily )
So my question to the budgie public is.... Is Anyone else interested in a product as such.??
The only negatives is that these units would cost $150-200 .. alot of money for a water tray, but not alot for secureing a safe healthy Environment for your bird.? If enuff people show interest???,.. then i will 3D CAD it,.. and put a kickstarter together.. Thank You..

·
Registered
47 Posts
We'd be interested, for sure! We, too, like to travel and want to ensure our little guys have fresh food and water. We have a couple people that we can rely on for pet-sitting duties, but a backup would be nice as those people aren't always available.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I actually do like to change my flocks' water and food containers and seeing how happy and excited my birds are while I'm tending to them, this is also an important part of the daily bonding process.

While I can see it's usefulness for when leaving the house, I would never fully trust an automated system to keep my pets well fed and with fresh drinking water.
Budgies (just like many pet birds) are very curious/playful by nature and can chew and break these "smart" food and water containers and this can end up in tragedy when the feeder or the water system no longer works or gets jammed somehow. Without knowing how the mechanics of these feeders work, I would also be wary for my birds' safety when using them, when or if for example they can get hurt when trying to use the water container when it's in the process of washing itself.

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Self

Well said. ANA, Nothing replaces that contact with our birds. Pay to board at the avian vet. or employ a pet sitter if you can not work out an exchange with another bird owner. We used to have friends that we exchanged away time with. We both had dogs and birds and plants and pond fish to watch over and meds to give the dogs. I pray that every one can find that special relationship so we can all go away for a break and feel our FIDS are safe. Automatic systems can break and that leaves your birds with no back up food. A mother or father has a special sense when something is off. That human sense is always primary with our FIDS. Blessings, Jo Ann

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I could see these being a great tool in a large aviary or breeding setting to save on time and labor but as already said, I would never trust something like that to not fail. If I am going to be gone for more than a couple day's, someone is coming in to feed and water, and check on my bird's...:)

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
It's a very interesting concept.

Personally though, I would not feel confident in leaving my birds for 2-4 days with only a mechanized food/water machine to care for them.
Who is going to change the papers in the cage and check to ensure each bird appears to be eating, drinking and pooping normally and/or hasn't become sick or (heaven forbid) injured in some way?

I'd love to get a look at your finished product and learn about how it works when it's completed, because my husband is an engineer so it would be a great topic of conversation for us to discuss. ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like the idea, and your drive to actually make it. However as others have mentioned the missing part is actual care, cleaning, and observation of the birdies.

The water dish seems like a good thought but I'm concerned as to how it would be "cleaned" especially with birds who like to make a mess of their dishes. I happen to use a water bottle and it works well for us. I am curious as to how a self cleaning water system would work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think you guys may be missing the benefits of something like this. Not everyone has backup care that is always available. We're lucky in that we have a couple friends that are willing to spend quality time with our birds while we're out of the country a few times a year. But an automated feeding and watering system of sorts would allow us to still maintain the daily physical needs of the birds, but only require a superficial check-in from another person rather than a full-on bonding/feeding/watering/cleaning check-in (twice a day, in our case). It's much easier to find the former than the latter.

As for boarding them, I'm not sure the stress of putting them in a strange cage, in a strange place, surrounded by strange people and birds is any less stressful or any better than an automated feeding/watering system in their own home, in their own cage, with a periodic check-in from a person.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I think you guys may be missing the benefits of something like this. Not everyone has backup care that is always available. We're lucky in that we have a couple friends that are willing to spend quality time with our birds while we're out of the country a few times a year. But an automated feeding and watering system of sorts would allow us to still maintain the daily physical needs of the birds, but only require a superficial check-in from another person rather than a full-on bonding/feeding/watering/cleaning check-in (twice a day, in our case). It's much easier to find the former than the latter.

As for boarding them, I'm not sure the stress of putting them in a strange cage, in a strange place, surrounded by strange people and birds is any less stressful or any better than an automated feeding/watering system in their own home, in their own cage, with a periodic check-in from a person.
I think like a lot of others here, I'd only use such a product as a way to make it easier if I were away.
In the event that I wasn't able to care for my birds and had a holiday planned, I would get someone to change food and water myself.

If I could buy a machine costing $200 that could do this and the friend still had to come by and make sure the machine was functioning well and my birds weren't dead I wouldn't waste the money on the machine that might stop working.
And even if it was guarenteed forever and ever to work without any danger, you'd still need someone to clean up the poop and check the birds so you'd still need to have someone going in and sorting it out.

While the idea is good, I don't think it's practical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soooooo..........

Soooooooooo....... lol

If I designed a bird cage that had the following
1. Guaranteed Functionality... Simply wont fail (mechanics or electronics) <--- this is easy to achieve, there are 10s of millions of medical devices, would cause human death, if they failed.. they do not!!!.. this is my field, BioMedical...
2. Self cleaning water/food dish... And self cleaning cage..
3. Automated water, and fresh food
4. Camera with night vision that allows you see your pet 24/7 from any computer or smart phone in the world.. (must have wifi at location of cage).. allows you to check on bird,.. and call some one if bird is in trouble ..

Would this please you,.. ??? It would up the cost to about $250 - $300 for a cage.. lol

Now please tell me how this would.....
1. Have no practical use..
2. Could not be built..
:budgie::budgie::budgie::budgie::budgie::budgie:

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
If you can build the cage you are describing I'm sure there are people that would be willing to pay $250 - $300 for it.

I'd want the cage to be a minimum of 32" long x 24" wide by 48" high with 1/2" bar spacing.

I'd be interested in how a cage could clean itself - side bars, grate and catch-tray. I can't even begin to conceptualize such a thing. :wow:

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
Soooooooooo....... lol

1. Guaranteed Functionality... Simply wont fail (mechanics or electronics) <--- this is easy to achieve, there are 10s of millions of medical devices, would cause human death, if they failed.. they do not!!!.. this is my field, BioMedical...
4. Camera with night vision that allows you see your pet 24/7 from any computer or smart phone in the world.. (must have wifi at location of cage).. allows you to check on bird,.. and call some one if bird is in trouble ..

Would this please you,.. ??? It would up the cost to about $250 - $300 for a cage.. lol

2. Could not be built..
That's different from what you first mentioned so people's opinions stated were for the original item you discussed. People who love their birds are going to want only the best for them and are obviously going to point out things that concern them.
That said, this sounds like a better alternative than what you first mentioned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Soooooooooo....... lol

2. Could not be built..
You LOL but I say, sign me up! I wouldn't expect it to be maintenance-free, but what you're suggesting sounds very promising. Make it the size of the Prevue F050 and it'd be worth the $250-$300 you're alluding to, maybe more. I like to work smart, not hard. But I'm not giving up the health and happiness of my birds in the process. So, put all those things together and you'd have one customer here!

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
The only problem I can see with your concept besides what others have said, is:

In order to make the system refrigerated, some sort of refrigerant would be needed. I know that most, if not all of the products on the market would definitely be toxic to your birds. Do you have a different, feasible way to keep to food cool without the use of chemicals, and that would last the 2-4 days that you described?

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
refrigerant...

I will not being using chemical (compressed ) refrigerant... that would be overkill.. to complex, and power hungry... i will be using a simple electronic heat extracter..

What the average person does not know about refrigerators is... it is NOT.. a device witch makes cold air!! It is a device design to Extract Heat... this is why the back of your fridge has copper coils witch are hot to the touch.. the Heat (Energy) was removed from the inside of the fridge and expelled outside the fridge. .. Thus lowering the temperature of the refrigerator

:budgie:

·
Registered
51 Posts
It seems as if some people assume that this is something to replace interacting with the bird :S
This sounds like a beautiful backup system, or anytime you might be otherwise occupied and want to BE SURE that your bird's basic needs for cleanliness are maintained even if you aren't right there looking over each thing every moment you would like to be :D
Keep up the great idea !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.