Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
I adopted 6 from our local animal shelter I have 4 males and 2 females
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these rescue budgies for 3 months now there are 6 of them and they are in 3 different cages 2 in each cage I want to put them in 1 cage but hey would have to go toa separate room in the house right now they are with me about 20 hrs a day if i put them in this room they may only see me about 2-4 hrs a day in this room they could fly free other wise if I leave them in the living room they have to be confined because of the dog. right now I have to bring them upstairs in their separate cages and let them out then get them back in their cages and bring them back down any suggestions.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gender mix 4 males 2 females age range 2 males 5 and 6 yrs ols, 2 males 1 1/2 to 2 yrs females 3 yrs old 1 set of males are bonded to each other, the other 2 males are also bonded to each other and the females are bonded to each other.

· Super Moderator
6,241 Posts
It would be best to house the males and females separately. If those are your birds in your avatar picture please remove that nest box, breeding is a serious business and takes a lot of education and resources before even considering it, some of your birds are too old to breed.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
those are my birds and I have bred budgies before the nest box is old and my research tells me that even the older males can still breed if they choose to , the females are young enough to breed . So my question really wasn't answered since their cages are only big enough for 2 budgies I guess they will have to remain in the cages they are in and in the living room so I will continue to take them upstairs 2 at a time so they can fly free which can't be everyday because I can only train 2 at a time usually i can take them all in their separate cages and release them in the room to fly which will only be once a week.

· Administrator
60,475 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Please remove the nestbox from the cage right away.

When you have mixed genders, it is very important to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Just because you allowed your budgies to breed, does not mean you followed best practices.
No budgie that is 4 years or older should ever be bred.
There are many considerations to be taken into account when breeding ethically and responsibly.
If you do not wish to follow what this forum considers to be "best practices", this is not the correct forum for you.

Housing your budgies by gender will be best for the birds.
You said the females are bonded to one another so keeping them in a cage with one another and no males shouldn't be a difficult decision.
Having separate one-on-one time with two budgies at one time will actually work better for training and bonding.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me clarify this I am not asking about breeding the birds I am asking about moving them to a separate room of the house away from the living room which is where they have been since I rescued them they have seen me all day long heard the tv playing heard the dog barking I walk by their cages all day long so would they be be alright if moved to another room where they will not see me all day long or hear the tv or the dog barking or me walking by their cages all day.

· Administrator
60,475 Posts
Staff will address all issues we see as essential when it comes to your birds’ health and well being whether or not that was the question asked.
This is the basis of the posts made on this thread.
I strongly recommend you follow the advice given.

I fully believe keeping the budgies separated by gender is critical.

Are the dogs currently in the same area of the home as the budgies?

· Super Moderator
20,042 Posts
We cannot advise you on your original post because you want to put all your budgies in one cage. As that implies that all genders will be mixed together, we can't give you suggestions on this because they should not be in a mixed gender situation if at all possible.

The best case scenario would be that you had one cage for males and one for females in a room away from the dog and you went to spend time with them daily. However, I understand that your current resources may not allow you to do this.

The most important thing is to ensure your budgies are

1. Safe from your dog at all times

and

2. Are NOT in any living situation where they may (accidentally or purposefully) breed. So far what you have told us indicates you should not be breeding your budgies. Yes, older budgies often CAN breed, but that doesn't mean they should. There are very few exceptions to this general rule which are always decisions undertaken by experienced individuals and usually with joint consultation of an avian vet. Any person who is willing to risk the health of their budgies and potential babies by breeding older budgies is an unethical breeder who is putting the production of chicks above the health of the individual offspring and parents. Therefore please consider the advise above and continue to do research on how to give your budgies the best life possible; six birds is already quite a lot to ensure you have vet care, healthy food, and space for each one.

Thanks for your understanding why we may focus on a different piece of advice than what you originally asked for. We are a forum dedicated to education and resources for budgie owners that takes all advice from board-certified avian vets and similar level veterinary research and thus make it a priority to address issues we see with people's posts so that not only the original poster but also any visiting forum members can see the most recent advice and recommendations for a particular situation.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry for the delay the budgies are safe from the dog the other issues are old my new issue is I think one of my male budgies is being bullied by his cage mate they are bonded and sometimes they fight like two roosters in a hen house my other bonded budgies never fight the 2 I am taking about are in the avatar going from left to right they are the olive green/ yellow male and the blue/gray male. What can I do to stop this fighting or should I let go so far no blood has been spilled.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the fighting happens when they are separated each pair has their own cage the fighting occurs when the males are in their own cage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts