Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just got two new budgies (male and female) a week back from a pet shop. They are approximately 6 month old.
Just got them to eat different seeds mix and a bit of greens, I have not seen them drinking water at all, which worries me.
Another dilemma I am facing is that i have two neighbours who have pet budgies too and my birds keep calling out to them in the morning. They squawk continuously, flap their wings, fly all over the cage and it seems they are hyper or making a distress call. Can anyone guide me on this behavior and what can I do to calm them?
PS: they are not hand bred

Thanks

·
Administrator
56,535 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Where is your budgies' cage?
How is it they are hearing the neighbors' budgies -- is it because your cage is outdoors?
We do not recommend keeping your cage outdoors. It should only be outdoors when all locks are safely secured and you are supervising the cage the entire time.

How large is the cage? Length, Width, Height?

Budgies need a minimum of two weeks to settle into their new home and you should not be trying to touch or tame them at this time.
They are often submissive initially because they are terrified.
You can cover the top and three sides of the cage to help them feel more secure.
Play music or the TV for them when you are not around during the day.

Are the budgies eating, drinking and pooping normally?
If they are pooping then they are eating and drinking.
Budgies often will take a sip of water when you are not around.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!!

FaeryBee has given great advice and asked some good questions. 👍🏻

Meanwhile, it’s great to have you on the forums as you couldn’t have come to a better place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices!

Please be sure to read through the links provided above as they’ll help you to stay updated on everything! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes! 👋

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello FaeryBee,

Thanks for your reply and useful links !

Our budgies cage is kept on a table inside our spare bedroom.
There are two large windows for cross ventilation, we have kept the age about 70inches(apprx 6 feet) away from the window. There is no direct sunlight hitting the cage, but there is ample of light and fresh air so that they feel good.
Now our neighbor's budgies are kept in a closed balcony with cage & enclosure and they have about 6 of them along with 2 cockatiels and 2 conures and they start their early morning loud chatter. The noise travels through our guest bedroom(adjacent to budgies room) through the main hallway, where there is slight echo. This excites my birds in morning and I am not able to understand whether its a happy or distress call (started on the 7th day, as initially they were very quiet).

The cage size is (24X18X18 inches) LXBXH.
They don't like music, but they start a low voice chatter when they listen to me talking on the phone.

They eat their food( seed mix & a bit of greens) and pooping seems to be regular. (Never touched the apples, pears, carrots so far)
Water bowl is replaced with fresh water every morning.
We have not started taming, we only call their names and talk to them for a while changing the feed and water.
Our girl budgie is a bit aggressive and she bosses over the boy often.

At nights we tried to cover the cage but they seem not to like it much as the boy flapped around when we tried the cover. The room is pitch dark in night with blinds shut and only 30% of noise can enter the room. At this stage we don't know whether to cover the cage with cloth or not.

I will be glad to get as much as information as possible and have started referring to other posts in the forum!

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.