Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a male lutino. From what I've read, lutinos are more likely to be female, and my vet said she thought my bird was a she the first time i took him to a vet. The second time, though, she seemed unsure. Here is why I think he is a he:

1. He sings like crazy!
2. He tries to feed my other birds all the time.
3. He displays what I'm assuming to be courting type behaviour towards my other birds.

Also, his cere is pink with white rings around the nares. I don't know if that is helpful in determining sex or not. I'd appreciate anything anyone's got. I'm thinking of having him DNA tested just to be sure, but I like hearing what everyone has to say; I always learn something. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my birds. I thought he was a she! I had to have him gender tested to make sure. It seemed like his cere changed color some times it would be blueish tinted and others he would have white rings around his nostrils. So I would get your bird testes if you really want to know. But here is a photo of my bird Horus. Maybe you can take a more logical guess seeing a male lutino.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes his cere looks bluish to me, too. Great photo, btw. What a gorgeous bird!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I kinda think it might be a female,even males will act like that towards each other.

I think time would tell you for sure if you have a male or female,unless you are planning on breeding soon.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If he has never had a brown crusty cere its reasonably safe to say male. Cere looks flat and bluish to me. Very male looking.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't plan on breedeing anytime soon. He's still a young guy. At what age will a hen's cere first turn brown? Also, he and my pied male are good buddies. If I wanted to breed either of them later, will it be problematic if they two of them are bonded? Should I separate them?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Males 'bond' frequently but that doesnt stop them from bonding or mating with females. Ino hens have normal ceres, it is the male that gets a pinky/purple cere. So hens should start with a powdery blue cere with white nostrils which will start to darken and tan usually around the 3-4 month age, coinciding with the first adult moult. If not then it typically darkens around their 8 month moult age but they always have more bulbous and/or flaky ceres. Males ceres tend to be very flat, smooth and shiny.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I really appreciate the info. I have a degree in animal science and focused my time on reproductive physiology & coat color genetics in horses. Since I've discovered budgies, pretty much all I do in my spare time is read up on mutations. I have no plans on breeding anytime soon, but may give it a go one day. Just want everyone to know how much I appreciate your helpfulness. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.