Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So London is a pied and it's really hard to say whether it's male or female. The folks I got her from say female but they were hardly experts. I put him/her together with my alpha male who is usually very flirty. They both stood as tall as they could and tried to stare each other down.

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Pieds are extremely tricky to sex. The second pic appears to me that the cere has purple but it is not an even purple, and appears to have powder blue along the edges. those facts coupled with white ring's around the nares, and the nares themselves looking quite large, makes me think Hen. You see the bird in person so you have a good chance of being right yourself. Go to cutelittlebirdies website and look at the sexing section and pics and see what you think....beautiful bird either way....:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh oh we are tied....1 vote male & 1 vote female! Well so far I've only tried him/ her in the cage with males. Tomorrow we will see how we do with a female. This bird does a lot of head bobbing, neck puffing, and trilling....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did some homework

So the behavior is no indicator....could be we just have a Bossy Boots girl! But upon studying the pix at cutelittlebirdies I discovered that our bird is either double factor dominant pied blue, or recessive pied blue.

The age is about 8-9 months so would that be old enough to tell for sure going by eye color? There is NO WHITE IRIS. I also have a sky blue double factor yellowface opaline girl with no white iris and she is about the same age or even a bit older.

She/he was previously kept with 2 males who are presumably the same age. They have full blue Ceres and dark feet/legs with white irises.

Anyway I am still very confused.....Lisa:S

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,425 Posts
I think he's sky blue recessive pied, possibly with another mutation (due to lack of black markings). Can you post more pictures?

If so, his eyes will stay dark (no irises) and his cere will remain purply-pink.

My Capt. Dallas (picture below) was a yellowface I cobalt recessive pied.

Iris rings: http://www.cutelittlebirdiesaviary.com/how-old-is-your-budgie.html.

Attachments

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
Your cute little fellow looks very much like a boy to me from both the pictures that you posted. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much y'all. So 2 for boy and 1 for girl. It's not my intention to breed him/her but I did intend to rehome because I got the 3 birds from a family who changed their mind after buying from Petco and having them for 6 months. :( They requested I take 1 bird which I did and then I found out they had the other 2, and then when they couldn't find another home for them they asked me if I could take these as well.

The first bird I accepted from them is a dilute yellow base grey wing opaline, definitely male, with a deep blue cere and purple legs. Name is Citron. I'm keeping him as a mate for my girl Opal. But he's buddies with the pied bird (her name is London.) but they mostly just sing together a lot with mutual bowing and touch beaks -- no feeding or mounting.

So I am wanting to tell potential adopters the correct gender. I think I will just look for someone who doesn't want to breed but loves him/her regardless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.