Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nest pair chicks are proving to be as interesting as my yellow pair's chicks.
Here are the parents..Dad flying

I expected yellow faced blues.... lol, do I have a lot to learn... I will get current picks soon. One is looking purple, 1 grey, 1 seagreen, 1 blue, and 1 I can't tell yet,,,still white fuzzy. all 6 eggs hatched but one was not fed. I took it and hand fed for 48 hours but it passed : ( It just wasn't meant to be, I guess that uis why the parents pushed it to the side away from the clutch.

I will get new picture showing the coloring of the feathers...I am suspecting violet factor...I hope
I know with gouldian finches you can tell the mutation by the chicks skin color...is this tru with budgies... they seem to all look pink to me.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
the mom is a yellow face type 2 sky blue Opaline - Dad is a yellow face Cobalt your "grey" is most likely actually a Mauve it is very easy to confuse the two - the way to tell them apart once they're pretty well feathered is the Cheek patches (the little colored area on both sides of their face) A Grey Budgie will have a Silver- Grey Cheek patch, but a Mauve has a violet Cheek patch(Can be mistaken for navy blue and not violet)

If you do have a Violet baby one of the parents has the Violet Factor - the pics are kinda small for me to see very well but If I had to guess I'd say its dad

and as Shivani mentioned you can't tell a mutation by the skin color of budgies - BUT sometimes you can with the down feathers- usually bright white down (like Stark white/ Bleached white -other wise Really white and not off white lol) can mean it's Opaline , Cinnamon and if i recall Recessive pied also has white down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy I am excited... I have a mauve. The little grey has violet cheek patches. I will get close ups tommorrow.And I think a yellow face violet!!!!
I knew nothing about the cbackground of these birds (other than they were not related) I just paired them to sinilar colored mates thinking I wouldn't mess their colors up too much...I am laughing at that thought now. But I am glad I paired them as I did...what surprizing chicks are popping put!
I will post my other 3 pairs ...I bet bu the time I get through all of their clutches that I will have a good grasp on the genetics.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Then what would be his "grey" chick who has violet Cheek patches .. Mauve is the only thing I know of that can look like a Grey

Perhaps the female is Cobalt too - the pics are too small for me to see very well Just going by what i can see

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Your chicks are cute!

I think the gray down ones will be normals and the white down ones will be opalines.

It's time to scrape the poop off the bottom of the nestbox. You might want to add unscented pine shavings to keep the box cleaner and to help prevent splay legs. (The nestbox floor looks a bit smooth. Chicks need traction so they can get their legs under them as the bones set. Otherwise, they will develop a painful deformity called splay legs.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the warning Susan. I have dealt with splayed legs before. I have bred many scarlet chested parakeets and had 2 from a clutch of 7 develope it with in the first week. I find that the housing can contribute but it is usually also a nutritional problem. The last 2 chicks of the large clutch were removed and handfed by me. Taped/splinted the legs and they recovered with excellent results. Many times the lack of vitamin D or sunshine will make the absorbtion of the calcium impossible. Also foods like Spinach can block the absorbtion of calcium if fed too often. I am finding the budgies are as bad as the grasskeets about tossing nesting materials.
I tried aspen shavings, coco fibers both curly and straight...they would toss them as fast as I could add them. I ended up usuing a felt canary nest pad. The parents could not toss it and it gave good support for those tiny toenails. Fortunately no splayed legs.
I didn't even consider pine shavings. I had always heard the hydrocarbons in pine products were likely to cause respiratory problems in birds. I would assume since they tossed the aspen shavings they would probably toss the pine shavings also. Is it a normal practive to scrape the box before the chicks leave? I have noticed that the budgies are much messier than the bourkes and scarlet chested parakeets.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of the parents showing a closer look. Dad is a mix of this seagreen and blue. Mom is an even seagreen. Both have a bluish purple around the cheeks and anal feathers...I think that may be an indication of the violet factor?

Here are the chicks today...and I did scrape the nestbox : )
I have a 1 light grey,1 dark grey, 2 like parents blue green,and 1 colbalt or violet (looks more purple in person:more blue in photos)

heres the purplish one

·
5,435 Posts
I didn't even consider pine shavings. I had always heard the hydrocarbons in pine products were likely to cause respiratory problems in birds. I would assume since they tossed the aspen shavings they would probably toss the pine shavings also. Is it a normal practive to scrape the box before the chicks leave? I have noticed that the budgies are much messier than the bourkes and scarlet chested parakeets.
My budgies have bred but I'm not a breeding expert. When I recommend you clean the nestbox and add shavings, I'm pretty much parroting ;) what the breeding experts here recommend. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are my first budgies ever...so I am here to learn. I did cleaned 3 of the 5 nest today... They were nasty. One hen had started laying here second clutch and the eggs were dirty...I even washed them with warm water and replaced with clean bedding...also removed the first clutch. There were 2 chicks that kept going back into the nestbox and rolling the eggs! I think Mom was glad to have them gone. She has clean box, clean coco fiber and 3 clean eggs so far :) I just have to watch that the removed chicks are eating and drinking well. I read where it takes about 2 weeks for them to wean once they leave the nestbox... It has been 1 week.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
in the baby pics 1st set - on he left the one standing on the little yellow faced Opaline one - Looks to be Grey wing - Are the markings Grey in person? if so both parents are split to grey wing

as for Bedding I've always used Care Fresh- the Natural one it's brown I did use the white one once but That makes for terrible pics white eggs- white back ground = not nice for pictures LOL

I did try Aspen for about a year - I was told it was the top of the line bedding to use and I had NOTHING but problems - it caused one of my conures to get an Eye infection while he was scraping the bedding to make a nest like they do The bedding got in his eye and scratched his eye ball and his eye swelled and was all red :( ,, I had MORE babies die at 1-2 days old and more babies dead in shell

so i switched back to care fresh bedding and so far not a single problem like I had with the Aspen bedding - Actually I just checked one of my tiel nest boxes who did still have aspen Bedding - they'd already laid eggs before i got to change the bedding - out of 6 eggs 5 were dead in shell 1 was yolk.

All mine kick the bedding I've even had 1 budgie who only left a tiny bit in all 4 corners - but I've noticed once the babies start to hatch and I put the bedding in They no longer kick it out

Ive even lined the bottoms with shelf liners (it was the cloth kind that self stuck) then put the bedding on top but a couple of my adults got their nails caught in that so I stopped doing that.

as for your adults having violet around the neck and vent - Some say that doesn't mean they have violet - BUT every one of mine that has had violet around the neck has given me Violet Babies when the Other parent did NOT have any Violet any where!

·
5,435 Posts
Here is a picture of the parents showing a closer look. Dad is a mix of this seagreen and blue. Mom is an even seagreen. Both have a bluish purple around the cheeks and anal feathers...I think that may be an indication of the violet factor?

Here are the chicks today...and I did scrape the nestbox : )
I have a 1 light grey,1 dark grey, 2 like parents blue green,and 1 colbalt or violet (looks more purple in person:more blue in photos)

heres the purplish one
I'm not a mutations expert but I enjoy practicing my guesses before the experts show up. :D

Dad looks like a yellow face normal cobalt. Not sure whether he's yellow face type 1 (with yellow suffusion) or type 2. (Type 1 should only yellow the mask and covert feathers but some type 1's show yellow suffusion elsewhere. Type 2 yellows entire body so that blue + yellow = green). Nev will come along and give a definitive answer. :)

Mom looks like yellow face type 2 opaline sky blue.

All the chicks will be sky blue (no dark factors) or cobalt (one dark factor).

The chick in your hand appears to be yellow face normal cobalt. I don't know much about violet factors; wait for Nev.

I think the two chicks with white down, black & white wing feathers and sky blue tails will look like mom: yellow face opaline sky blue.

I think the three gray-down chicks will be normals; at least one looks cobalt. I'm weak on yellow face genetics so I can't predict yf.

The chick with gray wings is interesting! (Surprises are fun!) I think it's a grey wing, which is a type of dilution; if so, its body color probably will be 50% diluted sky blue or cobalt. I think this means both your birds are split to greywing ... but wait for Nev.

Lucky you! :thumbsup:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
These are my first budgies ever...so I am here to learn. I did cleaned 3 of the 5 nest today... They were nasty. One hen had started laying here second clutch and the eggs were dirty...I even washed them with warm water and replaced with clean bedding...also removed the first clutch. There were 2 chicks that kept going back into the nestbox and rolling the eggs! I think Mom was glad to have them gone. She has clean box, clean coco fiber and 3 clean eggs so far :) I just have to watch that the removed chicks are eating and drinking well. I read where it takes about 2 weeks for them to wean once they leave the nestbox... It has been 1 week.
did you put the dad with them? when they start coming out of the nest more and more - that's when the dad steps up and starts feeding them and showing them how to be big birds

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The hen is type 2 yellow face opaline sky blue and the **** is type 2 yellow face normal cobalt. I can't see violet in either of them

The chicks appear to be:
Yellow face opaline sky blue
(Opaline?) greywing (cobalt?)
Yellow face opaline cobalt (could be double factor yellow face)
Normal blue (has dark grey down so could be either sky blue or cobalt)
Yellow face cobalt

The greywing chick shows that the parents are either both split for greywing OR one is split for greywing and the other is split for dilute. The opaline chicks show that the **** bird is split for opaline

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I left Dad with his wife. The 3 chicks were eating great and also let out for free flying and handling by me. The 2 yellows would come out and eat but then go back in the nest box and sleep.
Dad was beginning to bicker at the 3 that stayed out... I will watch them closely. I know they are all eating...drinking I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow.... what abother nest full of surprizes!!!! I know with breeding gouldian finches you can pretty much figure out what the parents backgrounds are due to the offspring. Sometimes you have to change partners to find out totally what they are hiding in their make up. But with the budgies there seems to be more possibilities... like how would you go about finding out if one is / grey wing or if it is dilute?
I really appreciate this info everyone!

I use carefresh bedding in the bottom of my aviaries...didn't even think of that! Will do!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.