Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here is that little chick I had in question...What is he? Not grey anymore...started to look violet...now some blue??

And one of the sibling...sure is dark

Then I have an opaline and 2 YF blue type II like the parents

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Here is that little chick I had in question...What is he? Not grey anymore...started to look violet...now some blue??

And one of the sibling...sure is dark

Then I have an opaline and 2 YF blue type II like the parents
As we said earlier, s/he's either greywing cobalt or greywing sky blue. I'm leaning towards cobalt.

Greywing pertains to the color of the undulated markings on head and wings. Usually such markings are black and white, but with the greywing mutation, those markings are diluted to grey and white, as in your cute baby. (See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#dilution.) The greywing gene usually dilutes the body color by 50%, which is why I think your baby is cobalt rather than sky blue. Nev might have a different opinion.

The term "grey" pertains to the grey color-adding factor in the body color. (See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#greyfactor.) Your chick does not appear to have grey color-adding factor (and I don't think that's possible because neither parent is grey). His/her body color is either cobalt or sky blue -- which is diluted due to the greywing gene -- not grey.

The sibling, which you say "sure is dark," is cobalt, which means s/he has one dark factor. (See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor.) As Nev said, s/he cannot be mauve (two dark factors) because one parent is sky blue (no dark factors). Since each chick receives one gene from each parent, then each chick can only be sky blue (no dark factors from either parent) or cobalt (one dark factor from the cobalt parent plus no dark factors from the sky blue parent).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have read and reread the mutation page, but it helps to have some of it explained via a picture... and of course having the parents makes you really start to understand the outcomes of the chicks. Thanks foryour patience with a newbie of budgie genetics.
So if she is a violet does this mean both of the parents carry the violet factor?
If it is just a dilution of the colbolt would it have a slight purple to the blue?

Also the seacond yellow face colbalt seems to have a purplish tone to his lower belly feathers than my white head colbobalts, Is this because of the yellow mixing into his body?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here is my little greywing?? Dilute??... I have her with a sky blue sibling...what is she...is this a violet, a very soft purple color that is hard to capture on camera.

her tail is not yellow..just dirty

I assume he is a yf colbalt but he sure has some purple hues to his feathers

maybe he will look like Dad on the right (Mom on the left)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Here is my little greywing?? Dilute??... I have her with a sky blue sibling...what is she...is this a violet, a very soft purple color that is hard to capture on camera.

her tail is not yellow..just dirty

I assume he is a yf colbalt but he sure has some purple hues to his feathers

maybe he will look like Dad on the right (Mom on the left)
First chick is opaline greywing cobalt (IMHO, too dark for dilute; the hen in my signature is dilute cobalt). But confirm with Nev. To get violet chicks, at least one parent must have violet factor. See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#violet and http://www.***************/gen_violet.html. I'm not good at violets; wait for Nev.

Second chick is yellow face opaline sky blue. (In the nestbox s/he has yellow face.) Not sure about violet; wait for Nev.

Third chick is yellow face normal cobalt. Not sure about violet; wait for Nev.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Only 1 parent needs to have a violet factor

Your grey wing is a Violet Grey wing - could be Violet Cobalt - I had one This is how I know what it is

Mine was a Violet Grey wing Opaline

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know nothing of breeding. I'm just here to say that your chicks are beautiful! I love baby budgies; they make me so happy :p
(So cute!!!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you, I will be keeping this one and see how her color developes.
Your chick is beautiful atvchick. Thanks for all the insight, everyone.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your welcome - the pics i posted of mine is when he was an Adult, i couldn't find his baby pics... A lot of my pics have come up missing :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Left the parents

Question on these 2 bioth I was told were colbalt...one white head, 1 yellow. The yellow head one has more of a purple tinge to the blue.... could this be because of the yello ground color or could it have the violet factor since there was a violet in this clutch?

Frontal of the belly (white headed brother on the floor behind him)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.