Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
This is my first ever post so I really appreciate any expert advice you can all provide!
I have decided to get a pet bird because it's the ideal pet that can come with me wherever I move to in the future. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to a budgie or a Parrotlet. The problem is I really can't decide which bird to get so I thought the best thing to do was come and speak to lots of budgie owners and I will also go on a Parrotlet forum and do the same!
I went to my local breeder today and I'm so tempted by a beautiful rich violet budgie ready next week 😁
Please could you all tell me what you think the pros and cons are of budgie ownership?

Thanks so much for al your help!
:budgie:❤

·
Registered
563 Posts
It's great that you're trying to look at everything from every aspect. I love my budgies....I just added my second three weeks ago . Would you be spending a lot of time with your budgie? Pros-they don't smell, they have the biggest personalities, a lot of company, easy up keep....really I love everything about them. Cons-they don't like being alone, that's why I asked if you would be spending time with him/her.....I'm home more often than not so I have happy and content budgies but now they have each others company when I'm not home. I really can't come up with any cons....when they moult you have little feathers every where but they're easy to sweep up! Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pros:

1. Even though they're small, they have a HUGE personality! They generally are affectionate little cuties when raised correctly and hand fed.

2. They honestly aren't very messy. The most mess I ever get out of Ace is when he molts, and all I have to do is take a vacuum and it's gone in seconds! :D

3. They are small birds, so they can be good for people who don't have a lot of space in their home (You still have to get the biggest cage you can afford!)

4. Some can talk! Ace has a small vocabulary, but it's better than nothing!
Remember, never get a budgie or any parrot just because it can talk, not all parrots talk, although more talk more than others!

5. They aren't very noisy if kept on their own (although this will depend on the budgie's personality) and most noises are quite sweet sounding.

Cons:

1. They generally aren't very "hands on" types of birds. Most don't like to be touched, scratched, but are fine being on a finger, shoulder, pocket, shirt, etc.

2. They can't just eat seeds their entire life, they need a large variety of seeds, fruits, vegetables, and pellets.

3. Even though they are small, they need a large cage, which could cost $80-$150. I personally have the F040 Prevue Hendryx shown here:

That about does it, I hope you meet the budgie for you! :D

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Welcome to talk budgies. You can find everything you need to know about budgies here, and we have folk's here who own parrotlet's also. Let me compliment you on doing your research first, that will be very beneficial to you and your new pet, whichever breed it end's up being. Check out the sticky's at the top of each sub forum for excellent info. I have four budgies that interact as a flock, so I really can't speak to owning just one. They are just like the bigger parrot's in a lot of aspect's, and though social in nature, many single bird's bond well and interact with there owner. I'm sure you will get lot's of input...:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much I didn't expect to get replies so fast!
It's obvious you both love your budgies very much :)
As regards how much time I have my schedule does vary quite a lot but I'm in and out the house most days and when I'm in in the evenings I plan to train my budgie to do tricks and have it out the cage all the time so I hope that will be enough stimulation. I might even start my own YouTube channel haha!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, yes I'm sure I could provide that sort of time as I'm home most evenings studying and things so my budgie could be with me while I do that sat on my shoulder etc. Do you find they are the sort of birds to stay sat on you or do they tend to just fly off all the time?

·
Registered
179 Posts
While Ace is laid back in his cage, he can't stay still out of it! :giggle:

It all depends on the budgie, you could end up with a laid back, cuddly budgie, or a energizer bunny budgie with an attitude ;)

Go to a breeder or two, and let the bird choose you.

Trust me, when a budgie or any bird chooses you, you'll know ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes thank you, I guess it is hard because every budgie is so different.

It's nice to speak to other people who are enthusiast though because I'm really excited and I feel like I'm getting a new baby as I have all the cage set up and ready :D
The violet budgie baby I saw today sat in my hand and seem quite calm while the other we're all flying around and sitting on my head haha so I might have to get him ��

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also just recently got three budgies, at first i couldnt decide if this was a good idea or not, as i knew that they are very expensive and require a lot of attention. But now that i have my budgies i am super content with them and i love to spend time with them. I got them about four days ago and i already love them very much. They are fun and even if i cant handle them or take them out of the cage, i still love watching them and talking to them and they sometimes sing for me. Of course budgies are expensive (something i didnt completely know until i got them) but they are worth it...But any type of companion bird is great, I personally find budgies to be the cutest and most fun, but any companion bird is great to have.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
When I got Jimmy, it quickly became apparent to me how much of a social bird he was. I quickly found that he was never going to be that happy as a single bird in a cage with a human for company.
Despite the time you put in, you may have a budgie who is shy and doesn't like human company that much.

The noise can be a deal breaker for some people. I find it pretty easy to tune the noise... it's just like birds chirping outside to me now.

They can be messy, mostly when they moult and you have feathers everywhere but I just got a little hand held hoover to quickly suck them up. No problem. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thank you very much, maybe i should consider getting a second budgie later on. I was really hoping to bond really well with my first bird and maybe it would talk.
My breeder recommended doing this and then introducing a second bird months or a year down the line, do you think they introduce easily?
Thank you!

·
4,995 Posts
If you tame a bird you should be able to still retain a bond with it, despite another budgie joining. Also bare in mind that not all budgies get along. You could, in theory, end up with two budgies you have to house in different cages, if things don't work out well. That's a worse case scenario, but since you're asking for advice, I wouldn't want to gloss over anything that *could* go wrong.

Having said that, if you got two males, chances are they will get on famously.
You may have a budgie and if bonds so well with you and is perfectly content on it's own that you don't feel the need to add another. It comes down to the birds personality and it'll take a while to figure that out.

When I got Jay, to be Jimmy's friend, they became super adorable budgie friends. Now, they both keep female company and it changes the males dynamics a lot. They are housed in different cages now as once a female comes into the mix everything changes!
But Jimmy is just as committed to his new female friend as he was to his male friend. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Late post, but it really seems that violet budgie chose you!

I plan on keeping Ace my only budgie, for the main reason of him bonding with me more than another bird.

I would be totally destroyed if the love he shares with me was redirected towards another budgie :(

·
4,995 Posts
Late post, but it really seems that violet budgie chose you!

I plan on keeping Ace my only budgie, for the main reason of him bonding with me more than another bird.

I would be totally destroyed if the love he shares with me was redirected towards another budgie :(
Ace is a special bird and like many others here, he has a wonderful bond with his owner and I completely understand why you don't want that to change. :)

I probably could have tried harder with Jimmy, but I think because I was treating him for mites and checking on his progress and rubbing vaseline into his beak and cere, I was concerned I'd already wrecked any bonding we might be able to have. I just felt that I knew he would be better with other birds and for him, he has blossomed with another bird.

I do believe a lot of owners here are able to give their single budgie a lot of love and time and the budgies they have adore that attention.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes that's true about them not getting along that is something I have considered as well but thanks for mentioning it.
I think if I get a budgie (seeming more likely by the minute) I will get just one single male and judge how he seems to be getting on and if he seems too bored or lonely or I can't provide enough time for him I will look at getting another male :)

I haven't had one reply on this topic on the Parrotlet forum so maybe budgies have more enthusiasts!

·
Administrator
55,347 Posts
:welcome: to Talk Budgies!

I'm glad you are doing your research and you've received a great deal of good advice thus far. I would strongly suggest you take the time to read the following links at a very minimum.

Ensuring you "bird-proof" the area where your budgie has out-of-cage time is critical as is a BIG cage with perches of varying diameters to exercise your budgie's feet and legs.

You must be continually vigilant to ensure you do not use any household products, (or perfumes, hairspray, strongly scented creams, nail polish remover, etc.) that will affect your budgie's health and well-being.

Set up a budgie First Aid kit for emergencies and ensure you have the financial means to obtain any Avian Vet care required.

Find a good Avian Vet in your area and be sure you have your new budgie in for a check-up shortly after adopting him.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
When you rely on unskilled individuals, you delay effective treatment. This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recover than it would have if you
seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

Having your new budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future. Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Expense: http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/55420-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
Quarantine: http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html
Dangers: http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-info-[articles]/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html
Essentials: Essentials to a Great Cage-Talk Budgies Forums

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.
TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

If you have questions after reviewing all the information, please be sure to ask!

:wave:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.