Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope you are all well!!

i purchased two young budgies in July 2021 from a breeder. All was well, they shared food, preened each-other and looked well bonded.
After so long, the female (lemon) who is a little bigger than the other (blue) seems very territorial. Whenever blue goes to eat or drink, she will follow him and push him off. They have multiple food trays to avoid this but if he goes to a different food bowl, she will continue to follow him. She sometimes intimidates him by stalking him around the cage and when I let them out she has a tendency to do the same. They never fight, just seem to bicker. I have noticed blue is now reluctant to go on my hand when I offer millet as he knows lemon is not far behind as she will always go where he goes. Taming was going well at first, yet blue went more timid when lemon started to show her dominance. Should I separate my budgies? What is the best way to do this? I’m scared if I separate they will miss each other.
Hand Gesture Finger Recipe Fruit

Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Bird supply

Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Bird supply

·
Administrator
59,173 Posts
Yes, you need to separate them into individual cages. You can still give them supervised out of cage time together.
If you do not separate them, Lemon's aggression toward Blue is going to escalate. The bullying is going to affect him mentally which is unfair to him.
Make sure each cage is a minimum of 30" Long x 18" Wide x 18" High with bar spacing of no more than 1/2".
You can put the two cages next to one another and see how they do.

Be sure to update us in this thread on how things progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you need to separate them into individual cages. You can still give them supervised out of cage time together.
If you do not separate them, Lemon's aggression toward Blue is going to escalate. The bullying is going to affect him mentally which is unfair to him.
Make sure each cage is a minimum of 30" Long x 18" Wide x 18" High with bar spacing of no more than 1/2".
You can put the two cages next to one another and see how they do.

Be sure to update us in this thread on how things progress.
thanks so much for your advise. I am going to purchase a second cage for him. It’s so strange as they are inseparable yet aggravate eachother at the same time!

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.