Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I took my budgie to an Avian Vet about a week ago because she had been very lethargic. Shes always been very tired and lazy and so i was worried and took her in. She seemed a lot better the day we took her in. The vet told me nothing was wrong other than she was a little underweight (odd because shes been on a seed diet her whole life, i am working on conversion) and now we are just waiting for bloodwork and other test results to come back. Now my budgie has gone back to being very lethargic and sleeping all day even though she had felt better earlier this week :( she tends to go into these periods of lethargy and then get better, she’s been like this a while. She is eating just fine and drinking otherwise. Should I wait for the bloodwork results to come back to see what the matter is since the vet said she was alright in the wellness check? Could something have changed? Im nervous about going back so soon. Thanks all

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
What were the blood tests that were run, was it a CBC? If so that is a good starting place to see if anything is abnormal, many things do not show up in a physical exam that may be revealed in the blood, when will the results be in? How old is she?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What were the blood tests that were run, was it a CBC? If so that is a good starting place to see if anything is abnormal, many things do not show up in a physical exam that may be revealed in the blood, when will the results be in? How old is she?
Hmm the vet never used the term CBC but she explained that two different tests were done, one that checked the functionings of the liver, kidney, etc. while the other checked the blood cells themselves and the quantity. Results should be in fairly soon, as they said about a week, as well as tests for AGY. She is around 4-5 years old. She keeps fluctuating in activity level and im just worried that she was hiding illness during her exam and if she goes back to complete lethargy. I might just be being paranoid :, )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is some info about various tests, if the test for AGY was done on the droppings the AGY organism does not always show up as it can be intermittently shed. Understanding Avian Laboratory Tests by Peter S Sakas...
Oh thank you so much, i wish i had had this on hand before the vet visit haha! The AGY test was done through an oral swab and a swab of the vent as it was explained to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
Do you know if any other tests were being run on the swabs to look for bacteria or parasites or other fungal infections other than AGY? Do you ever see whole undigested seed in her droppings?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know if any other tests were being run on the swabs to look for bacteria or parasites or other fungal infections other than AGY? Do you ever see whole undigested seed in her droppings?
Yes, she was tested for Avian chlamydiosis as well. Those were the only two tests that the vet recommended i get based on her situation. If the tests come back negative and her bloodwork seems fine i will most likely go back and try and get more tests for other infections/bacteria because i know somethings up with her. And no, There is never undigested seed in her droppings

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
A simple gram stain test can be run on a fresh dropping and crop swab to test for bacteria, fungal issues and parasites, many vets can do this on site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A simple gram stain test can be run on a fresh dropping and crop swab to test for bacteria, fungal issues and parasites, many vets can do this on site.
Oh good, thank you i will do this my next visit if need be. Is there anything i can do to help her while i wait for results? Should i keep her cage covered in a dark room to let her sleep when she seems sleepy? Ive been giving her an electrolyte solution i made (recipe from one of the posts on this site by Faerybee) is there anything else special i can do to help her?

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
Most budgies will nap even when the room is not dark, I would not encourage anything where she has to expend energy, just keep her warm and quiet and let her decide how much activity she wants. When a budgie is not feeling well their energy is used to maintain their body temp, a budgie's normal body temp is about 107 degrees.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update for you all (thank you Faerybee for reminding me!)
Results have come back and they are good! The vet said the bloodwork was unremarkable in the sense that nothing is off and the blood-count is fine along with the blood cells themselves. Both the avian chlamydia and AGY tests were also negative. My budgie (her name is Dale- we thought she was a guy for the first 4 years of her life. I have another post detailing her life up to this point.) has stopped being fluffed up and sleeping all day but is still very inactive so i plan on speaking more with my vet about potential caused and solutions. She said the periods of lethargy may be hormone-related. Thank you all for your support :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.