Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just curious, not interested in breeding, but is there such a thing as a siamese budgie or a himalayan budgie? i had a budgie girl who had a gorgeous taupe coloring on her face. new feathers would come in white, but they would turn taupe in a matter of days, naturally.

this was from when she was still growing up but the coloring never really changed other than no stripes on her forehead.

(she has since passed on, but i was her only love and she wouldn't give her cagemate the time of day if she didn't have to)

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
I think that is staining caused by the moisture in the breath... can be caused by a few different things.. vitamin deficiency is the only one i can think of off the top of my head tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's just it, though. she had a cagemate who was the wild budgie coloring (bright yellow head, green body) and he copied everything she did. his head stayed bright yellow.

the perches had been in use for over eight years, and her color stayed consistant and only on her forehead. she was fed a pellet diet and seed was strictly a treat.

one time when she shed one of her taupe feathers, i washed it to see what would happen (soap, water, tweasers to keep a grip) and it stayed the same.

she had black eye rings her entire life (instead of turning white). you could see the rings if you looked really close (if she let you, that is).

she lived to about 8.5 or 9 years, which is not too shabby for a petstore bird. she even had regular vet visits.

i dunno. i just figured there might be a mutation name, and have wondered about it for years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there are also siamese and himalayan rats (i keep rats too) so i figured maybe there were siamese and himalayan budgies. but no matter. they apparently don't exist.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.