Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!
My budgie sometimes gets sick and gets better without me giving him any medicines. He looks always like in the photos, but this time he is not getting better. I suppouse he is vomiting (sometimes he makes moviments like he is going to trow up) and he is dirty like you see in the pics.

I am giving him Sulfaprime (Composition: Trimethoprim, Sulfadimethoxine, Oxytetracycline) for 4 days now and he is not getting better.

Vets in Portugal are not specialized in birds...

Hope you can see the pictures (it's my first post!).

EDIT: There is foam coming out of his mouth! :(

Can someone help me? Thank you :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Your bird is obviously very ill and need a professional diagnosis and treatment plan.
Allowing this type illness to continue off and on for months is unfair to your bird.

An Exotic Pet Veterinarian and even a "regular" vet can always consult with an Avian Vet to determine the proper tests to run when necessary.

Please do the right thing and get your budgie the help it needs before it's too late.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both of you.
I found a vet near my workplace that treats budgies and other exotic birds. I leave him there tomorrow before I go to work and I'll pick him up at lunch time.

I will give you news as soon I get home.
Hope they find out what is wrong with him :upset:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 5.30 AM here and I can't even sleep :( I am worried that they don't treat him well or that they hurt him, or even that he might have a very bad disease. I don't like the fact that I have to leave him there and go to work, but it's the only way he gets an appointment as soon as possible.
Thank you for your wishes!

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums!

You've been given great advice by FaeryBee and I agree with her completely :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you're taking him to the vet. It's the best possible thing you can do for him right now! :hug:

Meanwhile, be sure to acquaint yourself with the forums by looking through the links provided above, which include most of the many articles and stickies that we have here! If you have any questions after reading through everything, be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Please keep us posted on how he's doing! I hope he gets better very soon :fingerx:

Cheers! :wave:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone!

The vet told me that it was probably fungus on his mouth/throat. This happens when the immune system is down and when the bird is getting old (he is about 6 years old).

She made a deworming (sorry if it is not the correct way to say it) and gave me the rest of the medicine to do the same (one drop on the back of his neck every 15 days).

She also prescribed Mycostatin (Nystatin) to give him 0,2 ml every 12 hours for 7 days and told me to keep her updated on how he was doing.

Let's see if I can give him the medicine :lol: trying to hold him with one hand and give him the medicine with the other.

I will keep you updated too, if you want :001_tongue:

He is a little dirty but he says hi! :ciao:

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi. What is the deworming medicine? (I'm wondering if it is for mites, rather than worms.)

Did the vet run any tests to help make the diagnosis? There are sometimes very legitimate reasons for making a diagnosis without tests, but it's still good to know what was done.

I hope he gets better quickly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi...
I found my budgie dead this morning... I am so sad :(
Last night I gave him Mycostatin and then a little bit of water because I was afraid it was a little thick for him to swallow.
After that he went to eat and he was ok :(
The deworming was the one on the picture (selamectin).
I am thinking if taking him to the vet was the right choice...but he was vomiting foam, I was so scared...

Thank you all of you...

Attachments

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Your budgie is no longer in pain and suffering.

It's important you recognize the fact your budgie had been sick for a long time and his body just couldn't handle the stress any longer.

It is always best to take a sick bird to the vet at the very first sign of illness rather than waiting until the situation becomes an emergency.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
I'm so sorry that your little one is no longer with you :hug:

I agree with FaeryBee; he was just too sick to take the stress of medication, vet visit, etc.

He is no longer suffering and is now watching over you free of pain :angel:

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. If/when you feel ready, feel free to post a tribute to him in the "in memory" section of the forums.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.