Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my budgie looks to be ill, he was vomiting and was all fluffed up. Also his poop didn’t look right (I’ve added a picturemy exotic vet isn’t open so I have taken him to a emergency veterinary hospital who have given him a dose of antibiotics and an anti inflammatory.

I have put him in a room with a heater so he’s kept warm.

I was wondering does anyone know what could be wrong with him and is there anything else I should do?

thanks inadvance guys
Bird Beak Parrot Mammal Feather

Brown Wood Grey Plank Hardwood

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
No way to know without doing some basic tests, did the ER vet do any? Did the vet give you meds to give him?

·
Administrator
57,889 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care
of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

What is your budgie's name?
How long has he been sick?
How old is he?
Are you planning to take him to your regular vet when they reopen?
Are you administering medication at home in the meantime?
Is the budgie still vomiting?
Do you give him pro-biotics?

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

In addition to keeping him warm, you can give him Guardian Angel or Pedialyte.
Guardian Angel//Pedialyte//Pedialyte Recipe

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The birds name is Indigo, he is currently at home and I’m giving antibiotics at home until Tuesday, that is when Indigos regular vet is in. Indigo has only been sick since yesterday, he has stopped vomiting now and no I’m not giving him pro biotics.

He is not fluffed up today and is cheeping away and wanting to play. He does appear to be a lot better however I am going to continue the antibiotics.

I have noticed indigo keeps trying itch his bum with his feet. Any ideas why this is?

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
You must continue the medication as prescribed and complete the full course of it for it to be effective, don't stop unless you vet changes things. If the vent area is not completely clean it may be annoying him or if there is irration there due to an infection or inflammation he may be trying to rub it with his feet because it is bothering him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will continue antibiotics as prescribed and should I attempt to clean the vent area? I think this will cause indigo more stress

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
Leave the vent area alone unless you see too many droppings piling up and sticking, then you will need to remove them because you do not want a build up of them that would prevent passage of them.

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee and Cody have given great advice and I agree completely.

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, provided above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted on Indigo, we hope he feels better soon!

Cheers! 👋

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.