Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before people jump on me with "go to the vet" I'd like to tell you the reasonings why I haven't. I usually go to my bird vet. Sadly he was booked solid the week my budgie got ill (10th of May) and was going on vacation the week after. Having no means to go to another bird vet (since all of them are very far away and this ones already on the "this might be too much stress", you could say "go to a normal vet". I've done this twice and ended up losing 3 birds twice. Once in 2012 and the second time in 2019/ 2020 due to misdiagnosis, wrong treatments coming along with it. You could say I got zero trust in the normal kind of vet. Rather than to give my bird the stress of going there, getting misdiagnosed or handled wrong - they really don't feel comfortable with crop swaps for example and always take poop samples - which made it happen that I lost birds to trichomonas before because they didn't find anything in the poop.. if it wasn't for me finding the avian vet I would have lost 6 birds that year. Which would have been my entire flock. And trust me I have been crying alot about not being able to go to my bird vet over the past 2 weeks.

So my budgie is a 10 year old male. His cere has been turning brown on and off.
His complaints are having on and off raspy sounds, coughing/ sneezing, heavier breathing than normal and the last few days some clagging. I've been staying up every night for 14 days now to make sure he's ok during the night and to clean his vent from poop. I wrote down how often he has had it and how often I had to clean. The clagging did stay away for 48+ hours once but then proceeded to come back, with him needing to be cleansed twice a day.

He doesn't vomit, his poop doesn't have seeds (it looks a little diarrea ish, then is fine again - it has zero smell to it). He eats very well still (I give millet with medicine - Gezasept - that helped him through a rough molt last time, which I've been giving him for the past 13 days now as well, the box says to give it 14 days if it's to heal illness). He's more quiet than usual, he does move through the cage though so he's not "sickly ill" if that makes sense. He sometimes sits on the floor, only to get back to his stick again. He does preen himself on and off. Doesn't have any interested in bathing anymore though, but that has always been a hit or miss day with him. One day he adores swimming, the next day he's almost scared of it. This is something that happened when his girlfriend passed away, they used to bathe together.

Before he got sickly he was having a really rough molting, then the above symptoms started to happen.

When I called for the bird vet the first time my budgie had almost no strength when I picked him up, his biting was "I attempt to kill you, but I almost lick you instead" kind of, no real strength in his paws. I genuinely thought he was going to die that week and in all fairness even If had an appointment for the bird vet, I wasn't sure if he'd make it, he was really that weak. I was afraid the tiniest amount of stress would have been fatal.

For the last 13 days his biting has been getting really strong (as well as his general strength), proof are the holes in my fingers from catching to clean his poor little vent. I do feel he has improved quite a bit over the last 2 weeks, but it's not enough, the raspy breathing, the fast breathing remained. Sadly for this week the bird vet was booked solid for his Tuesday so I got an appointment on Thursday instead with the question to please call me if someone cancels their appointment. I was suspecting an iodine deficiency or a testicular cancer. His cere went from pretty dark brown to almost completely blue again so I suspected it was a big deficiency.

I have been giving extra millet with medicine, since he was a bit skinnier than I anticipated, he has gained a nice amount of weight now as well. I kept him in the cage with his girlfriend as they always get worse whenever I isolate them, that and I got no sickbay cage due to a handicapped canary that ended up in my room due to circumstances. They are also getting tutti frutti egg powder with extra vitamine drops.

Currently I'm very torn between emotions. One part of me is thinking "you should have gone to a normal vet", the other part of me is thinking this is the best thing I have done for him due to my experiences with the normal vets before. He is the last of my OG birdies and I am giving everything I have for the past 2 weeks to the point I'm crashing due to lack of sleep.

If I had to take a guess to what it is, I honestly don't know. I don't suspect mega bacteria as his poops look good (no digested seeds or w/e or stinky poop). I also don't think it's trichomonas, he has no mucus, everything that does come out of his nose is see through liquid. As if he has a really bad cold.

Other than being ill, he is very alert still and listens when I call his name.

Is there anything else I could potentially do to make it comfortable for him and to hopefully make him last till Thursday?

Sorry for the long story.

(edit: It seems some of my stories are actually still on the site from back then :( ).
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
If you were to go to what you refer to as a normal vet they may not know what to do or may not even be willing to see the bird as it is not their specialty, going to an avian vet is the best thing you can do. From what you have described it sounds like there may be multiple issues. The cere changing from blue to brown could be an indication of a hormonal issue that may lead to a testicular tumor. The respiratory issues could be due to any number of things either bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic and need to be treated with the appropriate medicine, that will be determined by the avian vet. I am not familiar with the product you are giving so I looked it up and it appears to be support for the immune system and not a product that will treat a bacterial, fungal or parasitic issue. Make sure he continues to eat and drink and I would not encourage much activity, you want all his energy going towards healing whatever is wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you were to go to what you refer to as a normal vet they may not know what to do or may not even be willing to see the bird as it is not their specialty, going to an avian vet is the best thing you can do. From what you have described it sounds like there may be multiple issues. The cere changing from blue to brown could be an indication of a hormonal issue that may lead to a testicular tumor. The respiratory issues could be due to any number of things either bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic and need to be treated with the appropriate medicine, that will be determined by the avian vet. I am not familiar with the product you are giving so I looked it up and it appears to be support for the immune system and not a product that will treat a bacterial, fungal or parasitic issue. Make sure he continues to eat and drink and I would not encourage much activity, you want all his energy going towards healing whatever is wrong.
Yea like I said as soon as he was sick I called the avian vet to have him checked out. But he was filled up for that week and going on a vacation the next week. So now I got the appointment for Thursday. Traveling more than an hour both ways (making it 2 hours of travels in total) is just not an option for the bird in terms of stress to find another avian vet (that I don't know about if they're good or not either).
They always already get super stressed from this trip (which is an hour in total). The first time I went to a normal vet, they just prescribed anti biotics and then it ended up being Trichomonas. I've been very terrified of that ever since due to a budgie dying in my hands with blood, not once, but twice (second time was recent - also due to a misdiagnosis... and despite asking the replacement of my avian vet to test for trichomonas in new birds (cockatiels) and her not doing it because "its so rare" I ended up having an outbreak of it 3 months later, despite having them quarantined for weeks :(. So yea my trust in normal vets is basically non existent. (one of them was even called an avian vet who wanted to overdose one of my birds by 10 times. I had to correct her twice about it...)

I know an Iodine deficiency can cause a lot of issues as well. Especially since his cere is now turning blue again after starting the treatment it makes me believe its not hormone related (it's almost entirely blue again apart from the bottom side). However I would have expected his breathing to be better by now too despite the strength he's showing in every other department.

Thankfully he is still eating really well (not concerning that it's too much which could indicate parasites or fungus - what I saw in other birds). A good amount of food + millet is what he eats every day. Drinking goes well too.
(it's wet with the Gezasept so I know he gets it in).

Gezasept is being used for common cold in budgies as well as pneumonia and internal issues, it is indeed not specified for bacteria or fungi. It also contains iodine Since this pulled him through a bad molt before (which is when it all started), I figured I'd try it again until I could get to my avian vet. And yea apart from cleaning his vent I leave him alone. Last week I did have him out of the cage as he enjoys sitting in front of the window, but since then they have been in their cage. I do have powder for trichomonas, but I'm hesitant to give it at the moment since the complaints don't really feel like trichomonas. I am afraid if I start it and then not finish it it could cause the parasytes to get immune for a (hopefully not ever again) possible return. Like stopping antibiotics too early. Especially since it would be on the day I see my vet (5 days would be on that specific day).
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
It appears in the video that he has quite a pronounced tail bob and his breathing looks quite labored, I hope the vet visit Thursday can get to the bottom of the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears in the video that he has quite a pronounced tail bob and his breathing looks quite labored, I hope the vet visit Thursday can get to the bottom of the problem.
Thankfully got an appointment today, but it's sad news.

I’m afraid I’m new to keeping birds so I cannot help you with advice just wanted to wish your little buddy well and thinking of you
Thanks Fernando's Mummy <3.

I will copy paste here what I wrote on my Facebook:

"
Scroll past if you get squeezy from blood/ weird fluids......

Well after doing my best for Chrono it turns out its something I cannot fight. The vet just took out 1 ml of liquid red fluid (looks like blood but its not). Its cancer. For the fluid I got medicine drops to drain the fluid hopefully.

He got sick after molting. Sounded like he had a cold and his cere (nose knob) turned brown (can indicate iodine insufficiency or testicular cancer).
Since my Avian vet was booked and going on vacation afterward I decided to do my best for him (yes that meant not going to a normal vet, this due to losing 6 birds total 2×3 instances. Once in 2012 and the other time 2019/2020. All to misdiagnosis. I am sure if I would have gone with Chrono they would have missed this too or would try push expensive scans on top of it - where he would need sedation = high risk of death).

I gave him 14 days of Gezasept (which helps for infections and pneumonia) and his cere turned blueish again - good news probably iodine deficiency I thought. Despite getting stronger he didn't improve breathing wise.

Had an appointment for Thursday but asked to let me know if someone had dropped out for Tuesday. Which was the case so that was awesome.
However hearing its cancer and fluid it brings me back to Zayla. His prognosis is reserved so it might go either way. I wouldn't mind if we have to tap fluid every so often - Zayla lived years with her issue which was similar (autopsy revealed it being cancer too), as long as he feels better.

I know he is 10 and it being the average age but it still *****."

256747
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
So sorry to hear this, removing the fluid should help him to breathe easier. I had a bird that had ovarian cancer and would get a fluid buildup that had to be periodically drained, she always felt better after the fluid was removed. Hope your bird feels better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So sorry to hear this, removing the fluid should help him to breathe easier. I had a bird that had ovarian cancer and would get a fluid buildup that had to be periodically drained, she always felt better after the fluid was removed. Hope your bird feels better now.
Thanks Cody. He doesn't seem to have gotten as much relief as I hoped for. I hope it does too eventually. his girlfriend had cancer as well (turned out after autopsy) and it kept coming back (the fluid) and she lived 3 years or so with it, if not longer, but I had to drain it every so many months. If he keeps being short of breath I might decide to let him go.

(cage doesn't have any ropey sticks in there anymore, things changed alot).

256749
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the female in the picture his girlfriend that passed away?
Yea she was. It's just very coincidental they both had/ have cancer and fluid in their bodies (also had 3 others with cancer, but they had no fluid retention and was found out through autopsy). She had it in her chest (it was incapsulated - but she never had issues with it, just was harder for her to climb around the cage because it was in the way when it got big and eventually harder) and he has it in his belly, I think it's ******** cancer, but I'm not sure as my dad had to go to he vet for me. (driving 50 minutes on no sleep was just not possible - I wrote all I did and what complaints he had and what did get better and what didn't). They also saw bacteria in his poop, but due to his prognosis being not great they decided to not do that. I can get it when I think he's doing better though. As it might be too heavy on his body otherwise. For now he's sleeping and he hasn't sat on the floor yet, which is promising I hope. Also no sticky poops :).

I did agree with myself if I don't see him getting better (happier, chatting with his girl, chatting in general) and still short of breath I decided to give the antibiotics a chance and if it still doesn't get better to let him go. It would be selfish if I kept him alive. He's been an absolute sweetheart, he has helped many sick birds in his life feeding them when they didn't eat (literally doing my job without causing stress really) and just in general being super sweet and gentle. So I will miss him, so I hope he does feel better so I can have him around for a while longer. We'll see.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
It's always a tough decision to let them go, I have recently had to euthanize a bird and a cat, both cancer victims. Hope you can still get some quality time with him.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
55,530 Posts
Poor baby. It sounds as though you have given him a wonderful life and will make the right decisions.
Blessings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 4 of antibiotics, no real change. The only thing that changed is the clagging. He loves his millet, the only thing he's fast enough for to rush too. Alert still, but he's sleeping all the time and so slow.

Called the vet to ask when I should see progress. I should have seen something already, but they didn't think this was going to do anything anyway, which was kind of a stab in my heart - despite kind of feeling that already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry. It's so difficult when that time comes... You are in my heart and prayers.
Thanks Faerybee.
I did call the vet today to give an update on Chrono. With the way he's acting now they feel he's probably not ready to be put down yet, since he still eats and gets out of the cage.
They were also surprised to hear he went from a brown cere to a blue one after the therapy I gave him so I send them those pictures as well.

I will start spirulina as well. I know the chance is super small it's Avian Gouter, but I wanna try the best I can for him. (Researched today what I could do for him other than the Gezasept I had given him over the past few weeks). Since of it was testicular cancer his cere would not have changed back to blue. With Iodine defiency (and gouter cousing fluid lumps/ issues breathing) improving when getting jodium.. I don't know. They're going to send these pictures to the vet as well to show the difference.

20210513_021758.jpg
20210607_130521.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, he is looking so much better in the second picture. (y)
Looks better, but still sneezes/ coughs and wheezes at time. Still not himself. Eats and snacks/ drinks really well still though. But yea will try spirulina, which has extra jodium too. Also hope my vet will respond to my e-mail when he's at work tomorrow.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
55,530 Posts
Totally amazing how much better he's looking. I hope you'll see improvement with the sneezing, coughing and wheezing. Sending love!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Read about knotgrass. Sadly can't find it close by without risking it being sprayed with something. Ordered knotgrass herbs, which are meant to make tea, so my plan is to pull tea from it and dip the millet in it as well as giving it in the water. I didn't dare to get the oil from it as there's alcohol and such in.

So we'll see how this will go. Will also on and off give the iodine solution in the water as well as the spirulina in their food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright so my plan is the following.

1 cup with 1 teaspoon with knotgrass.
Mix 1 or 2 knotgrass teaspoon with some egg seed. Add 2 teaspoons of knotgrass tea. Mix and then add on top of their normal food.
Infuse millet with said tea.
Use the left over tea as water.

I will be trying this for around 5 days. Then I will cut back on using it as water, but still infuse the millet and egg food. Unless he shows impressive results then I will continue till he's well enough to just have it as a supporting kind of "treatment" like I did with the supplement I gave before.

Fingers crossed. Poor thing is struggling at times to climb up and seems to be sitting on the ground more often because of that (he can climb and perch, but chooses not to. I really hope this helps with the wheezing/ breathing as well :(.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top