Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Wallace! He thinks I'm weird because I keep tilting the camera in different directions to try and get a picture of what I'm talking about:

From what I've read, the body color isn't supposed to be present on the head or wing markings, but I noticed that as he's molting all the new feathers on his neck and back are getting a blue sheen to them. It's very iridescent, so you can only see it from certain angles. It's really bright when you can see it!

Is this typical? I had a sky blue hen and she never had anything like that, just gray and white bars. It's almost impossible to photograph, so I can't tell if most other blue budgies have the same thing. It seems like a few do, and some normal greens have a similar green sheen, too. I'm just surprised by how vivid it looks! The best photo I could get was of a molted feather that's pretty worn:

I think it's beautiful! It looks like he's glowing.

Is it present in males and females? Is there a name for it? Do you all think I'm as crazy as Wallace thinks I am for even caring? :D

I've read a lot about structural and pigment colors in birds. Blues are always structural, and they can be iridescent or not (so they don't change color with different angles). It looks to me like this blue is more iridescent than what you see on the body, which is pretty cool.

He also has a band of violet along his neck where his barred feathers meet his blue feathers. I see that in other budgie photos, but I had no idea it could be so bright! I wish cameras could capture these colors better.

Thanks!

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Silly

If an English Budgie is headed to be a potential member of a show team, then body color fading into wings or back of the head are very unwelcome faults. However they do not effect the health of a normal or English companion bird
There are a lot of nice birds related to show winners, that are rejected by a breeder but are perfectly healthy and deserving of a good home. So no the question has merit, just depending on potential future of the bird. The newly updated WBO rule book is available from Both BAA or ABS for @20+-
One of our favorite birds was named Dayglo. She was much loved but not put up on the show bench. Best wishes, :budge:Jo Ann

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information! That's interesting. It's not what I would have thought, but then my logic was basically "Ooh, shiny!" so it wasn't exactly a very critical analysis. :D

Mr. Wallace is a rescue of unknown age and background, so he was never going to be shown or bred. He only needs to be happy and healthy.

I actually think the blue is only now showing up because he's had his first molt since he came home with me and started a better diet. That's probably a big part of why I like it. His belly feathers and cheek patches are brighter, too! It's great.

I feel like his feathers still show wear a bit more quickly than they should, so hopefully we will keep improving his feather condition. Maybe he'll get even healthier and have a few more points knocked off in the show ring. Aim high, little bird! :D

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Silly

Flax seed and Soluvite D by vetafarm are great for molting and making healthy shinny feathers. Blessings, Jo Ann:budgie:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I didn't know that, but he gets flax seeds every day. He loves them!

Edit: He also has a full spectrum light, so that should help with the vitamin D. It seems like both my budgies go for their cuttlebone less now that they have the light, but I could be imagining that... Their feathers are even prettier under a full spectrum. Bonus!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Mr Wallace is gorgeous and lucky to have found such a caring owner.

I know what you mean. My Moe has a similar thing. He is a sky blue blah-de-blah blah - I know nothing of mutation. He doesn't have black bars like Wallace, just white and blue and bit's on grey on his back feathers but as he's moulted bits of iridescent blue come through on his back feathers. Like you I think it's so pretty. It adds such a sheen and shine.

Here's to beautiful blue budgies that sparkle and glow :budge::proud:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.