Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of babies I would get if I had a greywing cobalt male and a creamino female? I do not know their splits so I know that is near impossible to know without that info but I'm just curious on the possibilities...

(note, this is at this point just curiosity and I am not attempting to breed anything right now...) :p

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
All blues some with Yellow faces. males would be split ino

no grey wing unless the female is split - it's a recessive gene

no visual ino's unless the male is split - females only give the gene to their sons in split form. Females can't be split to ino so the females from a pairing like this wouldn't get the gene at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the information! :D

What if the male was my Atlas? (display pic) Recessive pied...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried using the genetics calculator here http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0Budg but it made me feel less than intelligent... How do I say my recessive pied is yellow/green? I promise i've been studying but I guess i've missed this information if its available...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
You dont click anything for Normal green unless it's a Dark Green Or Olive green on the genetic calculator you would just mark Recessive pied .. since Green is the Normal color it assumes the bird is green unless its told other wise :)

If you put a Green series to a blue series and the Green isn't split to blue you get all Green - Shades depend on the Dark factors - if there are no dark factors then they'd be light green

but if the green is split to blue then you'd get both Greens and Blues - Again the shades(like light green, dark green Cobalt Blue, Sky blue Etc) depend on the dark factors of the parents.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So does it mostly depend on what the female creamino is masking? Do the male genes determine more than the female genes or is it more an even swap depending on the unknown factors?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Depends more on what genes they have that are dominant

Recessive genes both parents would have to have it to get any visual - Like your Green Recessive pied if the female isn't recessive pied or Split to it - you wouldn't get any Visuals - just the babies would be split to it - Same with Grey wing If both parents don't carry the gene you don't get any

but with Dominant gene's it only takes 1 parent having it to get any visual

Like if one is dominant pied you'd get some dominant pied, same with Clear Flight pied, Green is dominant over blue so when the green isn't split to blue that's why you get all green.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you darlin! So many unknown factors that there is no telling everything that may show up... Wish I knew my birds' genetic lines, that would simplify life a little LOL!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your welcome

you would think knowing their background would simplify life - Doesn't always work that way :giggle:

I've had Males that I've bred 2-4 times and found out later they were split to sex linked genes, or Recessive pied

had one that the mom suprised me - but it took me a year to figure it out LOL it just never dawned on me that the baby of a pair I kept the Male was Opaline When I found out when it was a baby I knew then the dad was split for it, then the baby grew up I knew at about 6 months old it was a male, but my brain wasn't registering Male and Visual Opaline The Opaline didn't come from dad (The mom was an Albino) then one day i was in the birds room seeing who I was going to pair up and he'd just turned a year and half so I was seeing what Female I wanted to put him with - that's when it finally clicked - he was Male and Visual Opaline his mama was masking it LOL so I had to go dig my records back out for her and add that on her mutation lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.