Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've visited this site before for advice in looking after my budgies and think it's great. I've now created an account and am new to using this so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place etc but I would really appreciate your help and advice on a few issues.

I have a male budgie called Jessie who is about 1 year 6 months old. He is very tame and lively but lately I have become concerned with his behaviour.

Issue one:

He seems to be a lot more lethargic than he ever was. I let him out from 5pm to 10pm monday to friday and he has the free reign to do as he pleases and I let him out the same at weekends more if I can. I put him to bed at 10:30 latest and is uncovered around 8am. The temp in the house is never lower than 18.5 degrees.

He flies around a fair amount and loves to run around the floor flicking his ball but lately he is very sleepy, he doesn't fly as much and I'm concerned he is bored despite having a play gym and lots of different toys or is getting ill.

I'd like to know why this might be?

Issue two:

When I got him from a local pet shop who source their budgies from local breeders, he came home with like lice or a small feather mite crawling in his wings. I bought some treatment and got rid of that nothing since. However, he also had a small bald patch on the top of his wing/shoulders when he stretched them. He looked perfectly healthy still though.

He went through his first proper moult with me after the treatment and has had another one since and the bald patch has now been covered. My concern is when he preens, he preens as though he has an insatiable itch like he has mites or something has irritated him. He is not moulting currently and has no pin feathers. I'm worried as his feathers look a little sparse at the back of his neck when he fluffs them up for me to scratch. Though, that could be me being paranoid. Any ideas?

Issue three:

I bought the usual bag of seed in bulk that was offered when I bought Jess but having gone through that now, I wanted to really get the best possible mixture of seeds for him so I bought Johnson & Jeff cockatiel & big parrakeet mix consisting of:

White millet seed
Natural groats
Small stripped sunflower
Red millet seed
Canary seed
Hemp seed
White sunflower
Paddy rice
Safflower
Buckwheat

as I read it had all the things that are good, but, I read that sunflower seeds should be small in number as they are fattening but this mix has a lot.

I have no idea what percentage is for these as it doesn't say.

He is now hooked on the seed and gone off veggies he once craved as much as seed, has had a few watery poos of no abnormal colour just water though that seems to have stopped now.

I could really use some guidance as to the best seed mix to buy here in the UK. I do feed him veggies on a daily basis which I defrost until room temp then chop up and offer. They are usually, carrot, broccoli, red bell pepper, spinach, sweet corn. I also offer cooked whole wheat pasta and tonight cooked quinoa.

Is this right? could I be making him have an upset stomach? I try to keep the greens in proportion and use more carrot as I read too many greens are also bad sometimes.

Apologies for being so long winded but I know detail is important to help understand.

Kind regards

Moon :budge:

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Hi Moon, welcome to talk budgies. It really is impossible to say what could be going on with your little friend. The fact that your house isn't too cold, and the droppings look normal, leaves little explanation for why your bird is exhibiting this behavior. I would take him to an avian vet to be checked out, because excessive sleeping/lethargy are not normal.

The seed mix sound's fine but the fact that he is pretty much eating a seed only diet and ignoring your veggie offering's isn't good. Lack of proper nutrition can lead to a host of health problems. Have you ever considered getting him going on a quality pellet ? Feeding pellets as a main staple will help ensure nutritional need's are being met. Sprouted seed is more nutritional than regular also. Boiled egg mashed up, or eggfood is really good especially during and after molt. Do you use Apple Cider Vinegar regularly ? Organic ACV with the "mother" in it is very beneficial for gut health, and bolstering the immune system as a natural pro biotic.

The itching could be from a host of thing's too. How is the dryness/humidity level in your home. How does the beak look/no sign's of mites on beak or leg's ? Does your bird bathe or get misted weekly or more ?

We have a ton of info here that covers all these thing's and more, and will help you give your bird the best possible avenues for top notch health. I would get him checked by a good avian vet and start spending a lot of time here reading, and asking question's. I can't tell you how much of a help doing just that has been to me, and many other's here. Would love to see some pic's of your little guy....:)

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Hi and :welcome: to Talk Budgies!

I agree with Randy. I believe it is very important you take Jessie in to see an Avian Vet for a proper diagnosis.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
When you rely on unskilled individuals, you delay effective treatment. This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recover than it would have if you
seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

http://talkbudgies.com/articles-diet-nutrition/315033-healthy-diet-your-budgie.html

http://talkbudgies.com/articles-diet-nutrition/309849-quality-seed-mix.html

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.

TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/295033-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
http://talkbudgies.com/emergency-room/225585-my-birdy-first-aid-kit.html
http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-info-[articles]/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html

http://talkbudgies.com/housing-budgies/24411-cage-sizes.html
Essentials to a Great Cage-Talk Budgies Forums

Helpful Links - Talk Budgies Forums
Budgie Articles Forum - Talk Budgies Forums

When you upload pictures as thumbnail attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as PhotoBucket and follow the steps in these instructions:
http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html

All photos entered in any forum contest must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment.

Examples Of Pictures To Post And Not Post - Talk Budgies Forums
http://talkbudgies.com/mutations-ge...king-mutation-gender-identification-help.html

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys thank you so much for your thoughts it's much appreciated. Unfortunately we don't have a local avian vet the nearest one is at least an hours drive away :( however there are a number of good vets around so I will take him in for a check up for sure.

He is back to his hyper self today sometimes I wonder if he is just relaxing as I am too at that point or whether he just hasn't had enough sleep that day.

I do bath him every other day he loves it! My house is generally warm anyway so the point Randy made about how dry or humid they house it could possibly be a factor so I will monitor that.

There are no visible mites or anything unusual with is beak, feet or cere. I've hopefully included a picture for you of Jess's feet in my sig hopefully.

There is a pic of him as my profile pic.

Thanks agian

Moon :):budge:

Attachments

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
What a handsome and healthy looking fellow. Glad to hear he seem's
perked up, and hopefully he stay's that way...:)

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I have four...all in my sig pic...:)

Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
I'm glad to hear Jessie is doing better now.

When you take him in for a check-up, I strongly suggest you make the hour drive to an Avian Vet rather than taking him to a regular vet. As mentioned in my previous post, Avian Vets have special training which can make a big difference when a little budgie becomes ill.

An hour isn't far to ensure you have a good relationship with a qualified vet in case your budgie has a problem in the future. Where I live it takes 15-20 minutes to simply drive three miles because of the traffic congestion so an hour isn't much at all.

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums!

I'm absolutely smitten with Jessie--what a handsome guy! :love:

He does look very healthy, I hope he continues to show his usual energy and appetite :D

I agree that driving longer to get to an avian vet is definitely worth it :) One trip to the avian vet may save you several trips to a less experienced vet! :thumbsup:

Let us know how Jessie's doing, and I wouldn't mind a few more pictures! :D

Hope to see you around and please do ask any and all questions, we're here to help!
:wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.